Fifty years ago yesterday

The Widow's Son

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

I remember we beat hibs 1-0 at Easter Rd , Colin Stein being the scorer , on Christmas Day  . Maybe 1971 or 72 . Not sure if we've played on Christmas Day since . 

Remember the singing?    Jingle bells, jingle bells,jingle all the way,    oh what fun it is to fuck,    the hibs on Christmas day,     oh,   jingle bells,..............

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first game I remember,even though I had been at a lot of matches,was the 63 SC replay when we beat the tramps 3-0 with 2 goals from Ralphie Brand and Davie Wilson scored the other goal.
The crowd was a reported 128,000 :stevieg:
That was the day I wanted to be Captain Cutlass when we played football as kids.
Ended up more like Captain Pugwash.

48 minutes ago, shotstopper said:

Remember the singing?    Jingle bells, jingle bells,jingle all the way,    oh what fun it is to fuck,    the hibs on Christmas day,     oh,   jingle bells,..............

Bit young tbh :lol: . I do remember singing that about the tims on a New Years Day though 👍

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Was that the only game you went to mate?

Who the fuck remembers a game from 50 year ago were we got beat fuck sake :lol:

Sorry Williamson.  I live overseas and it's such a long ride on the supporter's bus so I don't make it back very often.  This game has always stuck with me for some reason.  The team was aging and hadn't won a trophy for a while.  Will try to think of warm and fuzzy memories just for you.

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Saturday, October 11th, 1969.  Windswept with drizzle, Rangers vs. Hibs at Ibrox.  Peter Marinello scored twice and tore us a new one as Hibs won 3-1.  I think Joe McBride scored the third.  Norrie Martin's last game for the Rangers.  Were you there?  I was.  Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

Few months after Woodstock ... Way too young to remember that one :p:

5 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

Just beat me to it.

As I recall big Peter McCloy had a nightmare and get absolute pelters from the terracing. 

Should have been the day , he never played again

He cost us so many massive games including the famous 2-4 loss and many others

Souness absolutely slated  him when he came in

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

The Girvan lighthouse. Used to meet him all the time back then as we had a holiday house in Girvan. Cracking big guy and very good golfer. Was it Juventus away he had a blinder of game ? 

8 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

He was still better than Stewart Kennedy. 

2 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

The Girvan lighthouse. Used to meet him all the time back then as we had a holiday house in Girvan. Cracking big guy and very good golfer. Was it Juventus away he had a blinder of game ? 

Yeah mate . He did have some decent games . That 1-0 loss enabled us to helped get the 2-0 win in return

One of the best nights of my young life watching us knock Juventus out . A team of world cup winners too.

Always remember there being no Rangers end that night as ground was under reconstruction . It was bedlam in the old terracing up the other end

4 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Yeah mate . He did have some decent games . That 1-0 loss enabled us to helped get the 2-0 win in return

One of the best nights of my young life watching us knock Juventus out . A team of world cup winners too.

Always remember there being no Rangers end that night as ground was under reconstruction . It was bedlam in the old terracing up the other end

I can remember as a kid we used to open the window at the house and we knew when Rangers had scored, obviously the games I wasn’t allowed to go to or could afford. 

5 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

My first game I remember,even though I had been at a lot of matches,was the 63 SC replay when we beat the tramps 3-0 with 2 goals from Ralphie Brand and Davie Wilson scored the other goal.
The crowd was a reported 128,000 :stevieg:
That was the day I wanted to be Captain Cutlass when we played football as kids.
Ended up more like Captain Pugwash.

I remember that well it was easy after first game ended 1.1.

The 3-1 game was my first ever game.  I remember my dad lifted me over the turnstile then a policeman threw us both out after he paid to get in, he was raging as he had to pay again to get in.

i don't remember much about the game but remember walking towards the subway after the game chuffed I'd finally got to a game but trying to look suitably miserable because of the result.

a bloke in front of us threw his scarf away saying it was the worst game he had ever seen and he wasn't ever going back. I wish I had a £ for every time I'd heard that since.

oh! By the way I also picked up the scarf and had it for years.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:56, The Widow's Son said:

Saturday, October 11th, 1969.  Windswept with drizzle, Rangers vs. Hibs at Ibrox.  Peter Marinello scored twice and tore us a new one as Hibs won 3-1.  I think Joe McBride scored the third.  Norrie Martin's last game for the Rangers.  Were you there?  I was.  Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

I was probably at it but to be honest don't remember. My dad used to take me home and away back then, would be 10 later that month. Unless there was a  something on that meant he couldn't take me I would have been there. As for Marinello he went to Arsenal, probably too young. Never lived up to the hype that I remember at the time. I remember buying chewing gum with picture cards of players in it. Think there were 3 or 4 in each pack and almost every pack had a picture of Marinello in it. 

I clearly remember the Dundee game that others have mentioned in the thread. I am sure it had happened before but it is the first time I can clearly remember people throwing their scarfs away.   I always thought it was the first senior game in Scotland played on a Sunday, not just first involving us. 

On 12/10/2019 at 11:43, .Williamson. said:

Was that the only game you went to mate?

Who the fuck remembers a game from 50 year ago were we got beat fuck sake :lol:

Not quite 50 years ago but I remember a game at Ibrox against the tarriers from Sept 1977 (think it was 10th) as we were losing 2  0  at HT and won 3  2. Was first time it had happened in an OF game for 36 years at that time and I don't thin I has happened again since. I was 17 at the time. You could get alcohol into the ground back then  I managed to miss 2 of our goals as I had the bottle opener and was crouched down opening beers. 

5 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Not quite 50 years ago but I remember a game at Ibrox against the tarriers from Sept 1977 (think it was 10th) as we were losing 2  0  at HT and won 3  2. Was first time it had happened in an OF game for 36 years at that time and I don't thin I has happened again since. I was 17 at the time. You could get alcohol into the ground back then  I managed to miss 2 of our goals as I had the bottle opener and was crouched down opening beers. 

That just screams old terrace football. Class 

8 hours ago, Brubear said:

Derek Johnstone 2 & Derek Parlane 1 second half scorers facing the old Rangers end terracing .magic. I hope you never spilt your beers.

Archived