How many teams will go under?

banjobear

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is not a single club in Scotland that is not going to end up in dire straits if this goes on for an extended period. The big difference between us and the rest is our fan base. By coming together, we saved put club the last time- we will do it again.

The club need to be getting in ST money even with no guarantee of a date to start the new season.

The scum sit with a 60 mile wage bill, so they ain't out of the woods either.

Don't know how the sales would fare, but I would imagine they would still be significant and would keep us liquid until normality returns and hopefully the new investment resurrected and we'd be fine.

I can see players being asked to take a tempirary wage drop to reduce the burden.

Outwith, I can see quite a few going to the wall.

11 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Go to a pub in Hong Kong and see the interest in two teams from England 

Correct,  The Reds of Liverpool and Manchester together with Real and Barca are streets ahead of the rest.  But factor in Rangers against this sort of opposition in some sort of league and you are looking at sell out crowds of 100000 if Ibrox had the capacity.    Fantasy stuff maybe but we need to aim high or we will be sold well short. 

23 minutes ago, Ladytonbear said:

Not strictly true. Televised games - including highlights- costs around 10 times what it did when we were in the champoionship. 

Kenny from the Bluebells bar in Lanzarote has pitch side adverts. Do you think he is paying fortunes for that? 

The income from pitchside adverts is minimal mate. 

19 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Kenny from the Bluebells bar in Lanzarote has pitch side adverts. Do you think he is paying fortunes for that? 

The income from pitchside adverts is minimal mate. 

I know Saveheat were paying £10k a game. I suppose it depends on where  and how often the ad appears.

To get back on track, many clubs will be in shite street when this virus is over.

How many will go under is anyone's guess, could be quite a few IMO.

I think Scottish clubs will be hit badly and we'll finish up with two leagues.

12 hours ago, bornabear said:

To get back on track, many clubs will be in shite street when this virus is over.

How many will go under is anyone's guess, could be quite a few IMO.

I think Scottish clubs will be hit badly and we'll finish up with two leagues.

Don’t think it will be that severe down the leagues in Scotland. Us going down the leagues gave those teams more money in a year or 2 than they could have dreamed of, they all made fortunes in attendance and hospitality to last them 10 years. If any of them are in trouble serious questions need to be asked where the money has gone. As long as their small fan bases support them in the short term they will be fine, I know round here as Stennie fans have been buying up loads of merchandise and they have released new shares at £37.50 each which will help them.

Hearts were already in a mess financially that’s why they were so quick to halve the wages of players and staff. Clubs in a mess will likely have to cut costs and better run teams may eventually have to defer wages for a while if this goes on and on.

I personally think we may have seen the peak of players and managers salaries now and a lot of clubs just like people will realise they are living on the edge and need to rein it in now. Simeone is on £700k a week, that is just ludicrous and totally unsustainable in the long term.

12 hours ago, Ladytonbear said:

There is not a single club in Scotland that is not going to end up in dire straits if this goes on for an extended period. The big difference between us and the rest is our fan base. By coming together, we saved put club the last time- we will do it again.

Aye every club is fucked the more this goes on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say none.

SPFL will include a new rule: Any clubs struggling can look to any other member club that is changing or has just changed chairman for financial support of up to £5m each free of interest and no timeframe to repay. If those clubs who find themselves in the position of not being able to give financial support to those clubs who needs it will be deemed to be lacking in sporting integrity and forfeit thier current league standing and after paying the monies requested, will be demoted to the bottom tier of the Scottish League. 

All seriousness though, if we get rid of the league and Scottish cup next season a lot more teams will suffer.

Yes only a few teams get to play us and them, but even getting a game against a team in the premier League will bring in a fair amount of cash.

On 27/03/2020 at 20:21, The Dude said:

We might be of more value than Swansea or Cardiff Rangers and celtic in the English league won't generate any more cash over and above the obscene amounts they already get in the top-flight. We'd also have to climb up through the leagues as there's absolutely no way we'd be parachuted into the Premier League.

An english league with two of the old firms in them would cause a media buzz in the uk. and an old firm game in the english premier league would be historical if it ever happened. and the money would be there before you even consider what the travelling fans spend on the road , thousands of them every second week.

do english fans travel in the numbers Rangers fans do with their increased population down south, i would be surprised.

On 27/03/2020 at 21:33, The Dude said:

Should I delude myself into believing Sky will pay even more than they do currently because we're in the English leagues? Obviously we're THAT big a draw for them they pay us a reasonable amount just now... 

if we played in england we would be on 20x more than we currently are.

shite league shite pay. it is that simple. in a good league it is more money.

After this shut down has ran it's course, a lot of team will no longer be around. A lot of team in Englands league 1 and 2 are in a financial mess and that was before the shut down. If 10 teams in England bit the dust and that is a real possibility, and who knows how many will bit the dust in Scotland, then major reconstruction will need to happed. A British league may come in to existence though necessity rather than design. This whole thing is going to be a car crash and we will not know until August/September who has survived.

Given that the biggest cost for the majority of teams is wages most of the smaller teams will have this covered by the government up to 80% of £2500. It’s the teams that are paying players in excess of this per month is where the problem lies.

On 27/03/2020 at 22:24, andyhrfc said:

Correct,  The Reds of Liverpool and Manchester together with Real and Barca are streets ahead of the rest.  But factor in Rangers against this sort of opposition in some sort of league and you are looking at sell out crowds of 100000 if Ibrox had the capacity.    Fantasy stuff maybe but we need to aim high or we will be sold well short. 

It's like watching Subutteo from up a ladder in the Club Deck as it is.   If you added the sort of extra capacity you're talking about it would make for a very poor experience for a lot of fans, never mind the infrastructure problems it would cause.  Total non-starter.

1 hour ago, miracle said:

It's like watching Subutteo from up a ladder in the Club Deck as it is.   If you added the sort of extra capacity you're talking about it would make for a very poor experience for a lot of fans, never mind the infrastructure problems it would cause.  Total non-starter.

Err not a serious suggestion!  More an indication of the sort of numbers that would want to watch us week in week out.   

If we ever hit the big time I would be more than happy for Ibrox to retain its identity with the infills and add ins that are discussed over and over again. 

Don't give a fuck if any team up here goes under. Only care about Rangers. 

As for English football...never will happen. IF it did then we can say goodbye to ever winning a premiership title again. Would need serious investment to come anywhere near premiership teams. As much as I hate the teams up here and the SFA I don't think we leave. We're not English. 

Archived