Is the Word LEGEND overused?

In todays football market we often hear such and such is a legend but i feel there are far to many legends these days what are your thoughts i blame the young uns

no, im a legend

In todays football market we often hear such and such is a legend but i feel there are far to many legends these days what are your thoughts i blame the young uns

no, im a legend

you are the third leg-end if you get my meaning

It's because of the young ones that people on the transfer market get called legends? They won't know who half of the players are.

Bored at work so I had a quick Google...

"Legend comes from the Latin adjective legenda, “for reading, to be read,” which referred only to written stories, not to traditional stories transmitted orally from generation to generation. This restriction also applied to the English word legend when it was first used in the late 14th century in reference to written accounts of saints' lives, but ever since the 15th century legend has been used to refer to traditional stories as well. Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a story—anyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer."

So we're no further forward then!

That is a good explanation you have highlighted TH83.

I have always thought that the word is overused when talking about players. I think it does come down a lot to personal opinions of players contributions.

I believe we would be better sticking to the players we know everyone would agree were legends, and letting the others be great players. I also believe to become a legend you have to have been at the club for a long time. Unfortunately this would mean that my favourite all-time Rangers player, Brian Laudrup, would not be able to be called a Rangers legend. The last of the Rangers legends to play for the club IMO were Goram, Gough and McCoist. I would not count Hateley, McCall, Ferguson (ian), etc as legends as there qualities were not at the same level as the 3 I mentioned. I do not believe we have had a legendary player playing for us in the 10 years since these 3 left the club.

We have had a number of really great players since, Ferguson (Barry), Numan, DeBoer, Albertz, Klos, Amoruso, Prso, GVB come immediately to mind, but length of service would deny them legend status in my opinion.

We have also had world class players who have played for us but were not Rangers legends for various reasons. I am thinking about the likes of world famous players like Gattuso, Boli, F DeBoer, Gazza, Laudrup.

Some will say that Gazza and laudrup should be considered Rangers legends on the basis of their contribution during the 3-4 years they were at the club and I am not going to argue with that, but I just think that legend status must be reserved for the combination of excellance and service.

That is a good explanation you have highlighted TH83.

I have always thought that the word is overused when talking about players. I think it does come down a lot to personal opinions of players contributions.

I believe we would be better sticking to the players we know everyone would agree were legends, and letting the others be great players. I also believe to become a legend you have to have been at the club for a long time. Unfortunately this would mean that my favourite all-time Rangers player, Brian Laudrup, would not be able to be called a Rangers legend. The last of the Rangers legends to play for the club IMO were Goram, Gough and McCoist. I would not count Hateley, McCall, Ferguson (ian), etc as legends as there qualities were not at the same level as the 3 I mentioned. I do not believe we have had a legendary player playing for us in the 10 years since these 3 left the club.

We have had a number of really great players since, Ferguson (Barry), Numan, DeBoer, Albertz, Klos, Amoruso, Prso, GVB come immediately to mind, but length of service would deny them legend status in my opinion.

We have also had world class players who have played for us but were not Rangers legends for various reasons. I am thinking about the likes of world famous players like Gattuso, Boli, F DeBoer, Gazza, Laudrup.

Some will say that Gazza and laudrup should be considered Rangers legends on the basis of their contribution during the 3-4 years they were at the club and I am not going to argue with that, but I just think that legend status must be reserved for the combination of excellance and service.

Yeah, I generally agree with what you're saying. But would disagree with what you say about length of service and Barry Ferguson. He's made almost a hundred more appearances than Goram, who's a definite legend imo. As I said in another thread, I'd personally count Barry as a legend, but it would appear that most would disagree. Which would effectively render him a "great" rather than a "legend" if we take the view given at the beginning of your second paragraph regarding general supporter consensus! <cr>

Yeah, I generally agree with what you're saying. But would disagree with what you say about length of service and Barry Ferguson. He's made almost a hundred more appearances than Goram, who's a definite legend imo. As I said in another thread, I'd personally count Barry as a legend, but it would appear that most would disagree. Which would effectively render him a "great" rather than a "legend" if we take the view given at the beginning of your second paragraph regarding general supporter consensus! <cr>

Sorry, I added in Ferguson to that list after I had typed the other names and I agree that he does not belong in there, and I didnt mean to put him in there. I think for now Barry has had a couple of not so great years and is only a great. When his time is finished however, I am quite sure he will be remembered as a Rangers legend to the next generation of bears who wont have seen him play every week. Time passing makes great players even better, legends even!! I think Barry needs one more really good season to cement his legend status, and I hope it turns out to be this season.

Sorry, I added in Ferguson to that list after I had typed the other names and I agree that he does not belong in there, and I didnt mean to put him in there. I think for now Barry has had a couple of not so great years and is only a great. When his time is finished however, I am quite sure he will be remembered as a Rangers legend to the next generation of bears who wont have seen him play every week. Time passing makes great players even better, legends even!! I think Barry needs one more really good season to cement his legend status, and I hope it turns out to be this season.

I'll drink to that! :beer2: