1872 or 1873?

whyrusogood

1872 or 1873?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. what do u recognise?

Im interested to see how the fans feel on this....i for one was always brought up with 1873 my dad to when asked....i know from reading articles that we were first thought of as a team in 1872 but it doesnt feel right to me....its only when i seen it on one of the guys on sites tattoo designs did it really feel weird to see....i know what i would have on my arm 1873 or is this because i grew up with this date?? i mean rangers themselves have always used this date!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im interested to see how the fans feel on this....i for one was always brought up with 1873 my dad to when asked....i know from reading articles that we were first thought of as a team in 1872 but it doesnt feel right to me....its only when i seen it on one of the guys on sites tattoo designs did it really feel weird to see....i know what i would have on my arm 1873 or is this because i grew up with this date?? i mean rangers themselves have always used this date!!

Rangers centenary game against Arsenal was in 1973 so i generally go with that(1873) although i realise that the historians have traced the original roots back to 1872.

Rangers centenary game against Arsenal was in 1973 so i generally go with that although i realise that the historians have traced the original roots to 1872.

i feel stupid for saying it when history clearly shows 1872...!!

i get the feeling that when some say 1872 its to put across they know more that others...shirts say it rangers as a reg company gers v arsenal etc etc say it so why do we feel the need to be smart because it was thought of a year before....! i mean in 2023 r we going to have half going the year before for a party i know what one ill b at and them!!!

i get the feeling that when some say 1872 its to put across they know more that others...shirts say it rangers as a reg company gers v arsenal etc etc say it so why do we feel the need to be smart because it was thought of a year before....! i mean in 2023 r we going to have half going the year before for a party i know what one ill b at and them!!!

Robert McElroy,the Rangers Historian has Rangers first game against Callender in May 1872 although Rangers first complete season was in 1873/74-maybe that causes the confusion.

Robert McElroy,the Rangers Historian has Rangers first game against Callender in May 1872 although Rangers first complete season was in 1873/74-maybe that causes the confusion.

yeah agree with that 100% (tu)

Founded in 1872. There is a wealth of evidence to support this, most of which is included in "The Gallant Pioneers" book by Gary Ralston.

The club didn't have time to prepare for the 50 year anniversary so changed the year to 1873 to give themselves time.

Founded in 1872. There is a wealth of evidence to support this, most of which is included in "The Gallant Pioneers" book by Gary Ralston.

The club didn't have time to prepare for the 50 year anniversary so changed the year to 1873 to give themselves time.

vote so far 15 to 7 in favour of 1873

*source?The club didn't have time to prepare for the 50 year anniversary so changed the year to 1873 to give themselves time.

septic would be 1887 if this is ur basis but they say 1888 !!

*source?The club didn't have time to prepare for the 50 year anniversary so changed the year to 1873 to give themselves time.

My source is the new book "The Gallant Pioneers" which charts the early years of the club. It is a very informative read and the writer has gone to great lengths to uncover new facts and records of the time. There are many on here who have read it and will vouch for this.

I recommend you go onto Amazon and buy it. A must read for all Rangers fans.

And i don't understand your point about Celtic, it's got fuck all to do with them.

My source is the new book "The Gallant Pioneers" which charts the early years of the club. It is a very informative read and the writer has gone to great lengths to uncover new facts and records of the time. There are many on here who have read it and will vouch for this.

And i don't understand your point about Celtic, it's got fuck all to do with them.

does it say they didnt have time in 1972 in the book?

btw im not arguing about 1872 just that glasgow rangers the team are celebrated and known as 1873?

i do have a point as the vote is showing this,if i find out rangers will celebrate 150 years in 2022 i will hold my hands up!!

Irrefutably 1872.

That many on here get it wrong as 1873 has hee-haw to do with fact.

Stupid arguing the point - it's been proven and documented several times over. Most recently as has been pointed out in "The Gallant Pioneers"

btw im not arguing about 1872 just that glasgow rangers the team are celebrated and known as 1873?

i do have a point as the vote is showing this,if i find out rangers will celebrate 150 years in 2022 i will hold my hands up!!

1922, 50 year anniversary. Buy the book mate, there are references to the incidents which enforced the change throughout.

The club won't change it now, not after all this time.

I think you'll find Rangers are well behind the book The Gallant Pioineers - one of the key researchers of it actually works for Rangers - and I have reason to believe that Rangers FC are grateful to the work that Gary Ralston and others carried out in it's publication and may consider re-writing the 150 centenary as a result.

WTS.