Lafferty's career record.

McBoyd

I honestly think the Boyd and Miller partnership is fucking awful but I'm leaving it at that as I can't be arsed talking or bringing either of them into this thread.

As for Lafferty's start/goal ratio: 9 starts, 7 goals (not too sure and wait to be proved wrong?)

It is at the moment, but at one point they were banging goals away.

Anyway enough of that :lol:

121 appearences, 18 goals. (now 122, 20)

:anguish:

C'mon lafferty, score more :D:lol:

McCoist's before Rangers 113 apps, 30 goals.

Just one example though. Stats aren't everything, especially if a player is at lower teams before and played in a difficult position and tactical setup.

Hard to believe but McCoist started out as a midfielder, and this was his position when Rangers signed him. He only started playing up front due to the number of injuries in the squad!

Guest therabbitt

McCoist's before Rangers 113 apps, 30 goals.

Just one example though. Stats aren't everything, especially if a player is at lower teams before and played in a difficult position and tactical setup.

Hard to believe but McCoist started out as a midfielder, and this was his position when Rangers signed him. He only started playing up front due to the number of injuries in the squad!

Kind of strengthens the point of playing Lafferty in his preferred central strikers role!

Just a quick one, which I find quite amusing, highly amusing in fact

Everyone wittering on about "play him in his proper position", yet, at the same time stating that for the majority of his CAREER he has played wide left as a way of (for want of a better word) defending his goal stats?????

Surely, since, thats where he has always played, thats his proper position, it just turns out he is a bit better up front, and, as such, striker should become his NEW position.

Guest therabbitt

Everyone wittering on about "play him in his proper position", yet, at the same time stating that for the majority of his CAREER he has played wide left as a way of (for want of a better word) defending his goal stats?????

Surely, since, thats where he has always played, thats his proper position, it just turns out he is a bit better up front, and, as such, striker should become his NEW position.

I suppose you are right, I'm referring to him as a striker as its where I seen him play most of his football internationally and where the player says he feels most comfortable.

I'm sure if you asked Steven Davis what his position is he would say "I'm a centre mid, but I've been playing at right mid".

I suppose you are right, I'm referring to him as a striker as its where I seen him play most of his football internationally and where the player says he feels most comfortable.

I'm sure if you asked Steven Davis what his position is he would say "I'm a centre mid, but I've been playing at right mid".

I would say Davis is different, in that, its only really us playing him there

Lafferty has always been a striker - Worthington, Cotterill, Sanchez, Coyle, Lafferty himself, McCoist and Wally have all said this over the years, yet they have all played him out on the left for some strange reason. It all started under Cotterill when Burnley had a shortage of left sided players but I don't know why he thought a player of Lafferty's height and build along with style of play would have been suited to playing out there?

Guest therabbitt

I think it says a lot for the lad that he has not complained about it either here or at Burnley and has just got on with it, wanting to give his best in each game.

Lafferty has always been a striker - Worthington, Cotterill, Sanchez, Coyle, Lafferty himself, McCoist and Wally have all said this over the years, yet they have all played him out on the left for some strange reason. It all started under Cotterill when Burnley had a shortage of left sided players but I don't know why he thought a player of Lafferty's height and build along with style of play would have been suited to playing out there?

Yeah, thats the weird thing, its not a new thing is it, and, can he be classed as a striker then? I know its being technical, but, thats the majority of his career, and, all his managers playing him there. Very odd

Yeah, thats the weird thing, its not a new thing is it, and, can he be classed as a striker then? I know its being technical, but, thats the majority of his career, and, all his managers playing him there. Very odd

I would like to know the managers thought's on playing him out there?

He doesn't have the pace to go by players, nor does he have the skill, his touch is only starting to improve, his left foot is pretty weak, he can't cross a ball and as a result of this he always cuts inside or turns back the way and passes it to his full back or central midfielder.

Imagine Peter Crouch out on the left wing and that's what playing Lafferty out there reminds me of - you just wouldn't even think about doing that (well unless you were Rafa Benitez)

Lafferty is a victim of his own honesty and willingness to play football.

Cotterill asked him to play out left for Burnley after a bad run of injuries in the position and he adapted to it well for the first few games and it's a tag that's stuck with him.

He's too nice a guy to moan about it in the press or chuck his toys out of the pram, and you can tell he just wants to play for Rangers regardless of where he's asked to play.

you know thierry henry had a similar strike rate when he was young and he played most of his time on the left wing. Not saying lafferty is going to be that good of course, just pointing out that a poor strike rate when you are young doesnt mean you wont become a good player. Even kris boyds strike rate wasnt as good when he was breaking into the kilmarnock team as it is now.

If he plays regularly in his natural position his scoring record will only get better as time goes on.

(tu) i hope it does.

I wasn't trying to highlight he's shit, i was just saying, 'cmon we know you can do better' :21:

To be honest he certainly isnt the best! Hes got the touch of a donkey, cant header the ball, finds the opposition with passes more times than he finds his own teammates and certainly isnt a natural goal scorer. He did have a slightly better game yesterday (although he didnt contribute much apart from his goals ;) ).