Gough: A true Rangers captain

leanne73

Gough still can’t get his head around Ferguson and team-mate McGregor’s antics on the Hampden bench.

He explained: “I just can’t fathom why they did the V-signs, they acted like schoolkids.

“What was going through Barry’s head, in particular?

“As captain of Rangers you don’t just have a position in Scottish football, but in Scottish society as a whole.

IMO the managers who made him captain bear some responsibility as the guy is never captain material. He's neither the intelligence nor character for the job, never has and never will.

PLG sussed him pretty quickly.

RICHARD GOUGH carries the tags with him wherever his travels take him in the world — Rangers captain, Ibrox legend.

Now happily settled in California the man who led Gers to Nine in a Row is still lauded by the Light Blue legions worldwide.

Gough is remembered as an inspirational leader, a man who said farewell to Ibrox in floods of tears with the cheers from the packed stands ringing in his ears.

It hurts him deeply that Barry Ferguson, a player he saw go from scrawny kid to polished international midfielder, has now denied himself that chance.

Were Rangers right to discipline the duo? Vote below

click here to cast your vote

The bitter irony is Ferguson and Allan McGregor would have survived at Gers after the booze outrage that saw them dropped by Scotland.

Given advice by their manager and those close to them to lie low they instead chose to indulge in that petulant V-sign protest that enraged Walter Smith.

Gough knew right then they were goners and he told SunSport: “For Walter to take this action on the run-in with just nine games left shows the height of his fury.

“I still get respect around the world for what I achieved at Rangers and it’s a nice feeling to take into your retirement.

“People recall what you gave the club and they want to talk to you about the glory days.

“Barry Ferguson has won the trophies and earned the right to enjoy walking with that sort of aura too when he hangs up his boots.

“But will he have that now after this? I severely doubt it.

“If this is to be his Rangers legacy then it’s a crying shame.”

Gough still can’t get his head around Ferguson and team-mate McGregor’s antics on the Hampden bench.

He explained: “I just can’t fathom why they did the V-signs, they acted like schoolkids.

“As captain of Rangers you don’t just have a position in Scottish football, but in Scottish society as a whole.

“He knows by now what the job carries with it.

“You have to set an example. What are other Rangers players — like Steven Whittaker — going to think if the skipper is in the bar at 11 o’clock on a Sunday morning on Scotland duty?

Advertisement

“He thinks that’s acceptable and it’s not. If they had won 1-0 in Holland then fine, give it a bash and have a few maybe.

“But they lost 3-0, Barry didn’t really kick a ball and McGregor didn’t look too clever at two of the goals.

“So you’re not exactly in a position of strength to be taking liberties.”

Goughie, who turns 47 tomorrow, listens to all the arguments about modern-day players and their lavish wage packets making them lose touch with reality.

He is not buying it. The former Rangers and Scotland skipper insists that is not a factor.

He stressed: “I behaved in football and prepared myself the same way whether I was earning £200 a week at Dundee United or £25,000 a week at Everton.

“I had a ball when I played and a lot of nights out, but they were done at the right time.

“Bottom line is the captain of Rangers and Scotland should not have been in a hotel bar at 11am so close to a vital match and so publicly out of order.”

Gough knows how Ferguson is feeling right now, full of remorse, wishing he could turn the clock back. He can’t.

And fallen star Fergie must also live with the fact that he has lost the respect of a man he has always looked up to — boss Smith.

Goughie added: “The gaffer is a man you don’t want to let down. He sticks his neck out for his players and treats them like men.

“He has been enraged by what he sees as actions of disrespect from two players he has put his faith in.

“They acted like schoolkids, they embarrassed Rangers and, believe me, Walter Smith will NEVER stand for that.

“They have found out the hard way that the manager expects standards at Rangers.

“If you fall way below those standards there is always going to be a helluva price to pay.”

LORENZO AMORUSO believes Barry Ferguson will be haunted forever by the crude gesture that has ended his Rangers and Scotland career.

Fergie replaced Amo as Gers skipper almost ten years ago.

And the former Ibrox defender knows just how much yesterday’s events will have hurt his old team-mate.

Amo was stunned to learn that fallen idol Fergie will never play for Rangers again.

But he insists the midfielder can have no one to blame but himself.

Amoruso said: “First of all, I cannot believe that this has happened. I was, of course, upset when I lost the captain’s armband to Barry but I didn’t grow up a Rangers supporter like him.

“I cannot begin to imagine how he is feeling right now.

“I know that he will be devastated but he will also know that he has no one else to blame but himself.

“Getting drunk while away with your national team is bad enough, but then to make that kind of gesture is unforgivable. I am not surprised Walter Smith is so angry as he is a man I know well.

“It was a stupid thing to do and Barry will regret this for the rest of his life.”

Amo — who has now retired and is living back in Italy — said: “Everyone makes

mistakes, that’s life.

“Only now, however, will they realise how bad the

situation has become. Only now will they realise fully what they have done. But for them it is too late.

“They have said sorry and they have tried to find a way but when Walter makes a decision then he sticks by it. Of course, for the good of the club it would be nice to think they could say sorry and get back in the team but I don’t think that can happen now.”

Amoruso has had to deal with the heartache and humiliation of being stripped of the Rangers captaincy.

In October 2000 Dick Advocaat ousted Amo and handed the armband to 22-year-old Ferguson.

Amo has never forgot the sense of shame he felt but he reckons Fergie will be hurting even more now.

He added: “I was hurt when I lost the armband to Barry, I know the feeling well.

“But the circumstances were so different because I didn’t leave the club and Advocaat only stripped me of the armband to save himself. He was being a silly little man trying to appease supporters.

“He was under pressure with the fans and he had to change something. It was a stupid gesture from the manager, he decided to take it out on me.

“I was not worried about that but this is a different thing because Barry Ferguson WAS Rangers. He grew up supporting the team. I know everything about Barry. This will be a devastating time for him and I hope he gets support from somewhere.”

Advertisement

Click here

Ferguson followed Amoruso to Blackburn Rovers in 2004 but straight away the Italian sensed all was not well with the midfielder. Straight away Fergie knew he’d made a mistake by leaving Rangers.

When he secured his dream return to Ibrox, Ferguson thought he’d play out his final days at his boyhood heroes.

He dreamed of scoring the winner in the Scottish Cup Final, just as Amo did in 2003, and a heroic send-off.

Instead Ferguson must suffer the ignominy of skulking out the back door.

Amo added: “I was with him when he was at Blackburn, trying to get back up the road to re-sign for Rangers.

“It hurt him so much being apart from the place.

“I never saw him as happy as when he finally returned to Rangers. I’m sure he never thought for one second that it would end like this.”

Amo believes Ferguson has let his club, his country and himself down.

And he confessed: “I am surprised with Barry, he is now 31 years old and he had to show more maturity.

“I know his character but basically he has been captain for nearly ten years now.

“It was a foolish thing to do and he will regret it, but he has brought it all on himself.

“I know Walter well and I know what he expects from his players, especially the captain. Walter likes discipline. He likes the players to represent the club well on and off the park. The captain has to set an example and Barry hasn’t done that.

“Walter will feel this is the best solution and you won’t change his mind.

“This is a massive decision which affects the whole club and clearly Walter has thought about it.

“Being captain of Rangers is a responsible job.

“You need to carry yourself in a way that’s acceptable.

“You need to set an example for the young players and anyone who follows the club.

“Rangers are a club known worldwide and I think you have to say Barry has let himself and the club down.”

IMO the managers who made him captain bear some responsibility as the guy is never captain material. He's neither the intelligence nor character for the job, never has and never will.

PLG had shocking results as our manager.

Fair point Jake ,but PLG fucked up a whole lot more than he sussed out !

(tu)

17 points behind the earls. not good enough.

Yeah, like you can build teams in two months. <cr>

Yeah, like you can build teams in two months. <cr>

He had the whole of scotland laughing at the state our club was in. :)

Yes, some result were shocking, but you cannot deny that he found Ferguson, McGregor and Boyd for what they are!

The problem with PLG is we are not prepared to be second best for any length of time.

A s a Rangers supporter we demand 1st place in either your 1st year or 2nd year in management.

i think his methods may have worked after a year in the UEFA Cup(qualifying through league position)

Yes, some result were shocking, but you cannot deny that he found Ferguson, McGregor and Boyd for what they are!

i think that barry sussed him out as being usless and told him so, just look at his record with our club.

i think that barry sussed him out as being usless and told him so, just look at his record with our club.

I'm not looking at him for that, but he was right about them having bad attitudes and a booze culture!

RICHARD GOUGH carries the tags with him wherever his travels take him in the world — Rangers captain, Ibrox legend.

Now happily settled in California the man who led Gers to Nine in a Row is still lauded by the Light Blue legions worldwide.

Gough is remembered as an inspirational leader, a man who said farewell to Ibrox in floods of tears with the cheers from the packed stands ringing in his ears.

It hurts him deeply that Barry Ferguson, a player he saw go from scrawny kid to polished international midfielder, has now denied himself that chance.

The bitter irony is Ferguson and Allan McGregor would have survived at Gers after the booze outrage that saw them dropped by Scotland.

Given advice by their manager and those close to them to lie low they instead chose to indulge in that petulant V-sign protest that enraged Walter Smith.

Gough knew right then they were goners and he told SunSport: “For Walter to take this action on the run-in with just nine games left shows the height of his fury.

“I still get respect around the world for what I achieved at Rangers and it’s a nice feeling to take into your retirement.

“People recall what you gave the club and they want to talk to you about the glory days.

“Barry Ferguson has won the trophies and earned the right to enjoy walking with that sort of aura too when he hangs up his boots.

“But will he have that now after this? I severely doubt it.

“If this is to be his Rangers legacy then it’s a crying shame.”

“He knows by now what the job carries with it.

“You have to set an example. What are other Rangers players — like Steven Whittaker — going to think if the skipper is in the bar at 11 o’clock on a Sunday morning on Scotland duty?

Advertisement

“He thinks that’s acceptable and it’s not. If they had won 1-0 in Holland then fine, give it a bash and have a few maybe.

“But they lost 3-0, Barry didn’t really kick a ball and McGregor didn’t look too clever at two of the goals.

“So you’re not exactly in a position of strength to be taking liberties.”

Goughie, who turns 47 tomorrow, listens to all the arguments about modern-day players and their lavish wage packets making them lose touch with reality.

He is not buying it. The former Rangers and Scotland skipper insists that is not a factor.

He stressed: “I behaved in football and prepared myself the same way whether I was earning £200 a week at Dundee United or £25,000 a week at Everton.

“I had a ball when I played and a lot of nights out, but they were done at the right time.

“Bottom line is the captain of Rangers and Scotland should not have been in a hotel bar at 11am so close to a vital match and so publicly out of order.”

Gough knows how Ferguson is feeling right now, full of remorse, wishing he could turn the clock back. He can’t.

And fallen star Fergie must also live with the fact that he has lost the respect of a man he has always looked up to — boss Smith.

Goughie added: “The gaffer is a man you don’t want to let down. He sticks his neck out for his players and treats them like men.

“He has been enraged by what he sees as actions of disrespect from two players he has put his faith in.

“They acted like schoolkids, they embarrassed Rangers and, believe me, Walter Smith will NEVER stand for that.

“They have found out the hard way that the manager expects standards at Rangers.

“If you fall way below those standards there is always going to be a helluva price to pay.”

LORENZO AMORUSO believes Barry Ferguson will be haunted forever by the crude gesture that has ended his Rangers and Scotland career.

Fergie replaced Amo as Gers skipper almost ten years ago.

And the former Ibrox defender knows just how much yesterday’s events will have hurt his old team-mate.

Amo was stunned to learn that fallen idol Fergie will never play for Rangers again.

But he insists the midfielder can have no one to blame but himself.

Amoruso said: “First of all, I cannot believe that this has happened. I was, of course, upset when I lost the captain’s armband to Barry but I didn’t grow up a Rangers supporter like him.

“I cannot begin to imagine how he is feeling right now.

“I know that he will be devastated but he will also know that he has no one else to blame but himself.

“Getting drunk while away with your national team is bad enough, but then to make that kind of gesture is unforgivable. I am not surprised Walter Smith is so angry as he is a man I know well.

“It was a stupid thing to do and Barry will regret this for the rest of his life.”

Amo — who has now retired and is living back in Italy — said: “Everyone makes

mistakes, that’s life.

“Only now, however, will they realise how bad the

situation has become. Only now will they realise fully what they have done. But for them it is too late.

“They have said sorry and they have tried to find a way but when Walter makes a decision then he sticks by it. Of course, for the good of the club it would be nice to think they could say sorry and get back in the team but I don’t think that can happen now.”

Amoruso has had to deal with the heartache and humiliation of being stripped of the Rangers captaincy.

In October 2000 Dick Advocaat ousted Amo and handed the armband to 22-year-old Ferguson.

Amo has never forgot the sense of shame he felt but he reckons Fergie will be hurting even more now.

He added: “I was hurt when I lost the armband to Barry, I know the feeling well.

“But the circumstances were so different because I didn’t leave the club and Advocaat only stripped me of the armband to save himself. He was being a silly little man trying to appease supporters.

“He was under pressure with the fans and he had to change something. It was a stupid gesture from the manager, he decided to take it out on me.

“I was not worried about that but this is a different thing because Barry Ferguson WAS Rangers. He grew up supporting the team. I know everything about Barry. This will be a devastating time for him and I hope he gets support from somewhere.”

Advertisement

Click here

Ferguson followed Amoruso to Blackburn Rovers in 2004 but straight away the Italian sensed all was not well with the midfielder. Straight away Fergie knew he’d made a mistake by leaving Rangers.

When he secured his dream return to Ibrox, Ferguson thought he’d play out his final days at his boyhood heroes.

He dreamed of scoring the winner in the Scottish Cup Final, just as Amo did in 2003, and a heroic send-off.

Instead Ferguson must suffer the ignominy of skulking out the back door.

Amo added: “I was with him when he was at Blackburn, trying to get back up the road to re-sign for Rangers.

“It hurt him so much being apart from the place.

“I never saw him as happy as when he finally returned to Rangers. I’m sure he never thought for one second that it would end like this.”

Amo believes Ferguson has let his club, his country and himself down.

And he confessed: “I am surprised with Barry, he is now 31 years old and he had to show more maturity.

“I know his character but basically he has been captain for nearly ten years now.

“It was a foolish thing to do and he will regret it, but he has brought it all on himself.

“I know Walter well and I know what he expects from his players, especially the captain. Walter likes discipline. He likes the players to represent the club well on and off the park. The captain has to set an example and Barry hasn’t done that.

“Walter will feel this is the best solution and you won’t change his mind.

“This is a massive decision which affects the whole club and clearly Walter has thought about it.

“Being captain of Rangers is a responsible job.

“You need to carry yourself in a way that’s acceptable.

“You need to set an example for the young players and anyone who follows the club.

“Rangers are a club known worldwide and I think you have to say Barry has let himself and the club down.”

What Gough and Amoruso said was spot on.

Sad but true. That has been very apparant this season.

Perhaps burley thought he didn't need to leave a member of staff with the players at the bar because the captain was there ... but unfortunately this incident shows that Barry isn't really captain material. Certainly to even think of comparing him with someone like Richard Gough is well wide of the mark

Perhaps burley thought he didn't need to leave a member of staff with the players at the bar because the captain was there ... but unfortunately this incident shows that Barry isn't really captain material. Certainly to even think of comparing him with someone like Richard Gough is well wide of the mark

Too true :( They don't make them like they used to.