“I never thought I would play here again, or play for Rangers,”

Boab

Phil Gordon

Stevie Smith will not even qualify for a championship medal if Rangers win the Clydesdale Bank Premier League but the forgotten full back believes that he has proved his worth to Walter Smith, the manager, as the title race heads down the finishing straight.

The 23-year-old overcame a 28-month absence from the first team to help the Ibrox side through their present personnel problems by setting up the opening goal in the 3-1 home win over Motherwell.

Smith is eager to play a role in the last six games even though he would still not have enough appearances to earn a medal from the Scottish Premier League, whose rules insist on a player making ten appearances before qualifying for an award. Yet the injury-ravaged left back would settle for reclaiming his place at Ibrox as compensation.

“I never thought I would play here again, or play for Rangers,” Smith said yesterday. He was on the verge of being jettisoned on loan to St Mirren during the January transfer window after failing to establish himself after a pelvic problem but made a remarkable return to action on Saturday with his first game since December 18, 2006.

Smith was so nervous that he opted out of being with the rest of the Rangers squad watching Celtic drop points in the televised lunchtime encounter away to Heart of Midlothian, just to ensure his warm-up was perfect.

“Most Saturdays, I just watched the results coming in on Sky Sports,” Smith said. “I have a baby son, Ashton, and that allowed me to take me mind off football. It’s been hard training every week with no hope of a game on Saturday.

“The other lads were watching the Celtic match but I was more worried about playing Motherwell – my circumstances were different to them and now I just want to keep my place.

“I have worked so hard in training over the last two months. It was hard last season when the club went to the Uefa Cup final and I was not involved, but recently the manager had so many players to choose from that I was not even in the squad of 26 and I knew it would be hard to even get on the bench, never mind the team.

“I don’t think many people thought I would ever play for Rangers again,” Smith said. “I had a long rehabilitation after my pelvic problem and then I injured my ankle at the start of the season and was out for three months.

“I had been due to go on loan to Cardiff City and then a loan move to St Mirren collapsed. However, I have a year left on my contract and I feel I have another chance to get back in the manager’s thoughts. I don’t want to leave Rangers and I think I have proved I can still do it at this level.”

However, Smith predicts that the title duel with Celtic will be tight. “It is going to be exciting,” he said. “Neither of us are going to get any easy games from now on.

“There are going to be more points dropped between now and the end of the season and it’s up to us to take advantage of it.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6083378.ece

I've always like Stevie Smith, if he wasn't so injury-prone he'd be first choice left back imo.

Better in LM tbh. Not the best in defence, but good going forward.

He's been terribly unlucky the way his career's gone. On the basis of his performance against Motherwell the guy deserves another chance at the very least. The fact that he hasn't totally given up proves he has character.

(tu) I'd give him a chance there,not against Hibs though as imo it's too big a game.

I've always like Stevie Smith, if he wasn't so injury-prone he'd be first choice left back imo.

He could certainly improve in defence - but when he first started to show, I felt he might prove to be the best LB we have had since Davie Robertson and also though he had a better future ahead than Hutton.

I'd love for the lad to be able to make a sensational comeback and fulfil his potential at Ibrox.

boab i love u son,,, i slagged u on an earlier thread wnt mention which one,, but thanks for the info and source to back it up. When my mate said he was starting at left mid i thought my name was on the team sheet and id left my boots at home lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he can stay injury free until the end of the season i'd give him a years extension. Can't imagine he would be on mega money. In the short term its like getting a new player for the remainder of the season

boab i love u son,,, i slagged u on an earlier thread wnt mention which one,, but thanks for the info and source to back it up. When my mate said he was starting at left mid i thought my name was on the team sheet and id left my boots at home lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers but to be honest, I reckon I knew more about Football at 10 year old then you even know now.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3242366

He could certainly improve in defence - but when he first started to show, I felt he might prove to be the best LB we have had since Davie Robertson and also though he had a better future ahead than Hutton.

I'd love for the lad to be able to make a sensational comeback and fulfil his potential at Ibrox.

Did you not rate Numan then?

Good to see him back and notching up an assist after being out for so long. I would keep him on if he stays clear of injury from now until his contract is up for negotiation. We could offer him a basic wage & play as you play deal and i'm sure he would be happy to accept as he owes us after picking up his wages for 2 years whilst being injured.

We all have fond memories of him vs the likes of Villareal when he was bombing up the flank and firing in quality balls and it would be great to see him reach that level again as a Rangers players.

If he can stay injury free until the end of the season i'd give him a years extension. Can't imagine he would be on mega money. In the short term its like getting a new player for the remainder of the season

bollocks its not hard to do a google search things and copy and paste shit, which is the majority of your posts. off the top of your head you couldn't answer fuck all. you spend more time at games listening to what people should or shouldn't be singing, rather than how the game is going.

bollocks its not hard to do a google search things and copy and paste shit, which is the majority of your posts. off the top of your head you couldn't answer fuck all. you spend more time at games listening to what people should or shouldn't be singing, rather than how the game is going.

How about you quote the right person! :scot::D ...least you'd be right!

However, I have a year left on my contract and I feel I have another chance to get back in the manager’s thoughts. I don’t want to leave Rangers and I think I have proved I can still do it at this level.”

I thought he was out of contract this summer, obviously not. Good to see him back, always rated him from the first time i saw him play for us. If he can stay injury free i would rather have him than papac. Far more dangerous going forward than papac

:lol:

He should really 'spend more time' focusing on his use of capital letters.

Ive said previously that maybe, just maybe he needed a taste of first team action at Ibrox again to get him in the spirit, of course im sure he would have been eager in training, but like he has said, he has not been involved until now, hopefully now he can crack on, keep getting back to his best, stay injury free and get back into that team because he is a naturally left sided player which we lack in our team!

If he's over his injury problems, then it would make sense both financially and football-wise to get him fit and playing again.

What's the point in spending more cash on a LB/LM if we have a fully fit Stevie Smith?