Rangers in European Super league?

tommyw

Seen this on the 'Times Online' site, sounds fantastic - what do you think?

"FLORENTINO PEREZ, the big-spending president of Real Madrid, wants the world’s wealthiest football clubs to create a European Super League, and is ready to take on Uefa if they do not adapt the Champions League to better suit the ambitions of the biggest clubs.

EUROPE’S POTENTIAL SUPER LEAGUE

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Internazionale, AC Milan, Juventus,Bayern Munich, Lyons, Porto, Celtic, Rangers, Olympiakos"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6637943.ece

From memory, wasn't this the reason that the CL & Europa leagues were reformed as the clubs were threatening to do exactly this.

The G14 was disbanded/re-oprganised (i believe) as a result of recent negotiations.

Also, as comments on the article suggest, Real have just spent £180m in the past 2 weeks, they want to ensure that they have access to mega bucks to reclaim it back.

"FLORENTINO PEREZ, the big-spending president of Real Madrid, wants the world’s wealthiest football clubs to create a European Super League, and is ready to take on Uefa if they do not adapt the Champions League to better suit the ambitions of the biggest clubs.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Internazionale, AC Milan, Juventus,Bayern Munich, Lyons, Porto, Celtic, Rangers, Olympiakos"

aye we are a big club but at this time we have no money to attract players for a venture like this so i feel we would be getting horsed on a regular basis for a few years would be good to be in that company and able to compete finacialy with them

PS, What that Warn )% thingy on the left of my post, and why cant I change my fav player from Moses Mcneil??

not sure about the warn/% thing but it is not your fave player it changes on the amount of posts you make

Bears.. with a Super League like this.. SURELY, there would be a massive TV spend -- and we'd end up with our fair share. It would be similar to the EPL 'promise' but this is more realistic.

So.. IF it happens.. and I doubt it -- but anyway, we would be in one of the best positions in Europe to sign top players...

perez is fucking nuts if he calls that lots the wealthiest clubs in the world

the total debt for all they teams would be worse than third world africa

correct, nice description aswel ;)

The Premiership clubs have hundreds of millions of debt, but they can sustain it.

For now....

The Premiership clubs have hundreds of millions of debt, but they can sustain it.

For now....

exactly, did either the uefa president or fifa president say he wanted to put in a rule that teams cant have a certain amount of debt or else they get banished from euro competitions

about a month back i heard something om radio 2 some director from a club like wigan dont quote me here but he reckoned that on operating cost for the year even a club like man u would be approx £50 million down if that true what chance do we have

aye we are a big club but at this time we have no money to attract players for a venture like this so i feel we would be getting horsed on a regular basis for a few years would be good to be in that company and able to compete finacialy with them

We would attract much, much better players, whilst not getting first pick, I think we would compete.

love the thought of this but i really dont think it will get anywhere near happening another thing i will say that throughout europe we are a very highly prestigous club no matter what anyone says.

I think this will happen eventually, but i don't see us competing at a decent level straight away. Perez managed to re-finance loans to the tune of 500 million euros. Eventually he'll have to pay up and i can't see him getting out of that debt easily. If he doesn't get re-elected as president when his term is up, it's not his problem then, is it?

I'm with the old tradition that the European Cup should be for league winners only. Joining such a "league" would mean undoubtedly opposition from Uefa and threaten our Champions League places.

The extra money would be nice, but it wouldnt have the same sort of glamour or meaning of the current European trophies.

real madrid are a joke. there is a european league where the top clubs compete. it's called the champions league and they havn't made the last eight in four years.

Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain backed the Real plan and said: "The time is right for it to be looked at in detail.

"It is also important to emphasise that it would not necessarily involve us leaving Scottish football behind."

Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain backed the Real plan and said: "The time is right for it to be looked at in detail.

"It is also important to emphasise that it would not necessarily involve us leaving Scottish football behind."

Martin Bain couldni organise fuck all. he should be workin to try and earn us more much needed finance and improve our financial situation rather than sitting in his office talkin to his uncle Florentino about a European super league

bain is awesome at putting his fucking size 10's in his fucking gub

while babbling on about this shite he's away accepting bids of 500k for our CHAMPIONS LEAGUE EXPERIENCED PLAYERS

dear fucking lord :anguish:

Thats pish, there are German, Portugese, Dutch etc. who would be considered before us.

No offence guys, but the likes of Ajax are seen as far bigger clubs by most of Europe than ourselves. We would really have to be punching above our weight in Europe for the next few years to be even considered