Don't expect any new signings

WALTER SMITH today hinted he will be starting the new season with the same faces - despite the fact the Ibrox exodus has begun in earnest.

Barry Ferguson is expected to travel to Birmingham today for talks with former boss Alex McLeish.

The midfielder will embark on a second stint in the Premiership in a deal that will earn Rangers £1m, with that fee rising with various add-ons, and free up his £25,000-a-week wages.

Andy Webster is also on the move, with the injury-plagued defender set for a season-long loan at Tannadice. The defender has made just one appearance for Rangers since signing from Wigan, but Dundee United manager Craig Levein believes he can give the 27-year-old a new lease of life.

United will take of part of the responsibility of Webster's wages and it is an opportunity for the player to rebuild a career that has been derailed because of repeated injuries.

Brahim Hemdani, Christian Dailly and Graeme Smith have also all moved on, clearing over £30,000 a week from the pay-roll.

But in an admission of just how tight the finances are the club, Smith revealed today that he doesn't expect to be bringing any new faces on board for the start of the season.

Instead, the onus will be placed on youth as Rangers tighten their belts.

Smith told the Rangers News: "Basically our squad will be the same as last season, and hopefully the younger ones can add to that as well.

"John Fleck came through last season and we think players like Danny Wilson and Jamie Ness are ready to follow him."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2520083.0.0.php

I still think a couple of new bods will come in!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the case, then we REALLY can't afford to lose any stars.

If we lose a Davis, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra or Thomson, I can see us struggling.

Moreso if we lose Bougherra or Davis.

Anything can happen in the transfer window.

If we loose Bougherra I would expect us to sign some CB's as Weir won't be able to play as often due to the CL, McCulloch and Webster are pish and Wilson has no experience playing first team football.

In saying that, I'd love to see Wilson come in.

Jonny Evans looked like a natural in his first outings with Antwerp and Sunderland - there's no reason to suggest that Wilson wouldn't do that same.

good pr me thinks from rangers, the bheggars have lost three 1st team players in hartley, nakamura and jvoh, and have signed fortune who has a goals to game ratio that is the same a chugger adam, and they have signed a holding midfielder.

dont think we will sign anybody until they make a move, although it is painfully obvious we need a cb, and if wattie wont play niguez a left winger

and we think players like Danny Wilson and Jamie Ness are ready to follow him."

I really hope this isn't flannel.

In what way do you mean that comment?

We've been saying all last season that these two at least should be given a chance, to me it reads Walter now believes it to be the case and as he's the one who sees them day in day out in training etc and gets reports from the youth coach then he will know better than us.

We've been saying all last season that these two at least should be given a chance, to me it reads Walter now believes it to be the case and as he's the one who sees them day in day out in training etc and gets reports from the youth coach then he will know better than us.

Walter doesn't really have a reputation for bringing through youngsters, does he?

That's why I said it, and I hope its right and didn't say it wouldn't happen/be.

I'd expect probably 2 signings. Wouldn't worry about LM as I would use Beasley or Aaron, give one of them a run of games and see what they can do. But we do need at least 1 CB as we only have Weir, Bougherra, Broadfoot (injured) and Wilson. Don't think we will get another goalie we should use one of the younger ones instead as 3rd choice.

Walter doesn't really have a reputation for bringing through youngsters, does he?

That's why I said it, and I hope its right and didn't say it wouldn't happen/be.

This ain't aimed at you Boab, but to everyone who says this sort of thing, look at the majority of the players we have most are in their mid 20s, when Walter was first in charge we didn't exactly have a youth development programme but it was Walter who signed a very young Rino for us.

As I've mentioned many times, the youth programme we now have had running for a few years was going to take time to show any potential and it's taken a bit longer than I would have liked, and it's only in the last couple of seasons that some starlets are coming through but we are a fan base who demand success and quite rightly expect success to this end playing for Rangers is a lot more high profile and has a different set of pressures than playing for Man U or Arsenal as a youngster, if a player doesn't perform well irrespective of their age they can be quickly berated by the same fans who want them played.

These players are probably now ready for some first team action and I think Walter has been correct in not playing them until now. This season if these younger players do get more game time then it will be because they deserve it.