• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wigan nick £2.6m Mac

By PAUL HUGHES

Published: Today

rigTeaserImage

JAMES McCARTHY looks certain to sign for Wigan today - after snubbing Premiership rivals Wolves.

SunSport can reveal the Hamilton starlet will have a medical at Wigan today after Accies accepted their £2.6million bid.

Celtic also moved back in for the 18-year-old but failed to meet Accies' valuation after having a cut-price £600,000 bid thrown out in May.

Now McCarthy will meet Latics boss Roberto Martinez and thrash out personal terms on a deal thought to be worth £15,000-a-week.

That will infuriate Wolves boss Mick McCarthy, who thought he'd landed the starlet after his £2.5m offer plus £500,000 add-ons was also accepted.

McCarthy was at Molineux yesterday as Wolves laid out the red carpet for Scotland's Young Player of the Year.

But Martinez will nick the Republic of Ireland midfielder.

It's a shrewd piece of business from Hamilton owner Ronnie McDonald, who also sold Brian Easton to Premiership new boys Burnley this week.

Wigan will pay £1.4m up front, rising to £2.6m.

Martinez is a huge admirer of McCarthy and has been trailing him since taking over at the DW Stadium earlier this summer.

And Accies believe Wigan is the best option for the development of a player they have brought through the ranks.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ck-26m-Mac.html

I need to ask - is he really worth £2.1m more than Charlie Adam?

I think £2.6m is fucking bonkers, more reason why we should be after at least £8m-£10m if Bougherra goes.

exactly

I know Im gonna get pelters for this but I think the lad is gonna be a great player once he fully develops and moving to the premiership will only help him further accelarate his development. Glad he aint signing for Celtic!!!

How could he possibly be worth more than Barry? What has he done to prove himself

He's a plastic, tim supporter and he's under 20, that makes him worth £2million alone using Scotland's media system.

Also see: Liam Miller.

How could he possibly be worth more than Barry? What has he done to prove himself

He hasn't done anything to prove himself. Not yet anyway.

But what he has done is build himself a reputation as being one of the best young players on these shore.

Premiership teams are willing to pay 2.6 million because he'll prove to be a snip and a great investment if he does well, and if he flops, it's not a large sum of cash to write off.

Some of you clearly know fuck all about James McCarthy.

Pretty much single handedly kept us in the league last year.

His touch, awareness, passing ability and engine alone make him worth £2mil.

When you consider he's 18, has been playing first team football since 15 and has been getting better year on year, the sky is the limit.

I'm glad he's left Scotland.

Small minded, bitter, bitter football supporters who can't spot a quality player in a league of diddies.

I'm gutted he's chosen Ireland, but you can blame Archie Knox and the useless cretins from the previous coaching staff for that.

Will never make it as a footballer indeed!

When you consider he's 18, has been playing first team football since 15 and has been getting better year on year, the sky is the limit.

Small minded, bitter, bitter football supporters who can't spot a quality player in a league of diddies.

I'm gutted he's chosen Ireland, but you can blame Archie Knox and the useless cretins from the previous coaching staff for that.

(tu) couldn't agree more m8

Us? <cr>

I don't think not rating the lad makes anyone small minded and bitter, he has just never impressed any time I have seen him.

I don't think anyone is to blame for him turning his back on his country other than himself, his parents and anyone else who managed to brainwash him into playing for Ireland instead of his homeland. No coaching staff are at fault.

I hope he fails big time in the Premier league. James McCarthy, why don't you go home? :)

Hamilton Accies midfielder James McCarthy, 18, has agreed to join Wigan Athletic for a fee of about £1.2m rising to £3m depending on appearances.

Wigan's English top-flight rivals Wolves also had an offer accepted by the Scottish Premier League club.

Tottenham had also made a late expression of interest, while Celtic manager Tony Mowbray admitted his club were being priced out of the race.

Wigan expect the deal to be concluded within the next 24 hours.

From the BBC