***Japan vs Scotland Official Match Thread Kirin Cup*

Boab

Celtic left-back Danny Fox has been selected for Scotland's friendly in Japan on 10 October.

The Cheshire-born player has represented England at Under-21 level but is eligible to make the switch through his Scottish grandfather.

Robert Snodgrass of Leeds is given his first call up, while Preston's Ross Wallace is back in the fold.

Hibernian's Derek Riordan and Charlie Adam of Blackpool are also included in manager George Burley's squad.

Fox, 23, joined Celtic from Coventry City in July and he has been first choice for the Glasgow club at left-back since.

Snodgrass has helped Leeds get to the top of League One and he is joined in the pool by former Livingston team-mate Graham Dorrans, now at West Brom.

Riordan won his only cap more than four years ago but has made a fine start to the season with Hibs, scoring five goals, despite two penalty misses.

Adam featured twice as a substitute for Scotland in 2007 while playing for Rangers and is enjoying a new lease of life at Blackpool.

The 23-year-old completed his move to the Seasiders in the summer after impressing on loan last season and has scored four goals from midfield this term.

Rangers' Kevin Thomson returns after missing a large chunk of last season through injury and joins Wallace, formerly of Celtic and Sunderland, among Burley's midfield options.

Wallace, who can also operate at left-back has only been capped at B level before.

Celtic's Scott Brown is included despite his club hinting that they would like him to rest a nagging ankle injury, picked up on international duty.

Forwards James McFadden, Kenny Miller and Chris Iwelumo are spared the long trip as they are all coming back from injuries.

Former Dundee United stalwart Paul Hegarty was also confirmed as the latest addition to the Scotland coaching set up.

The Scots last faced Japan in 2006 when they won the Kirin Cup under Walter Smith following a goalless draw.

The sides have only ever met twice, with the previous friendly encounter also ending 0-0 in 1995.

Scotland squad:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City) Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Daniel Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Rangers) Midfielders: Charles Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Kevin Thomson (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Preston North End) Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City), Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8284355.stm

Actually a few could call-ups there with Snodgrass, Riordan, our own Kevin Thomson, Dorrans too.

Didn't want Fox should be in there, seems convenient for him than though I'd like to hear more from him before I make a definitive decision whether he's another token Scotsman or not and Charlie Adam is an arsehole aswell so can't stand the thought of him for Scotland, bad enough for Rangers.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing Whittaker needs!

Last thing Thomson needs more like! It was only a couple of months back that his knee was swollen after a short flight to Germany. What if the long haul flights to Japan & back cause him problems? I can't believe he's being allowed to go tbh.

I think it was booked with the World Cup in mind, maybe simalar heat, altitude etc, either way Thompson and Naismith should pull out as they are getting their careers back on track and could be doing without what is a useless friendly and no doubt a piss up for Burley and co......

I think it was booked with the World Cup in mind, maybe simalar heat, altitude etc, either way Thompson and Naismith should pull out as they are getting their careers back on track and could be doing without what is a useless friendly and no doubt a piss up for Burley and co......

I'll be waiting for the.....Breaking news - Burley drinks Japan's sake dry

English danny fox is called up for Scotland but a decent young scottish left back lee wallace isn't called up :angry:

That does beggar belief IMO. If Fox is that good why no mention of a call up before he signed for Celtic?