Aaron reflects on Rangers

Boab

AARON held his head in his hands as his sickening spot-kick miss saw Spain crash out of the Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday.

But the winger reckons he's nursing a bigger regret after failing to win over Walter Smith.

Aaron joined Gers on a two-year loan deal from Valencia in August 2008, but returned to his homeland in the summer to be shipped out to Second Division Celta Vigo instead.

Despite starting just one game for Gers the 20-year-old insists he will forever treasure his spell at Ibrox.

But he'll always have the gnawing feeling things could have been so different if Smith had turned to him rather than some of the older heads in the squad.

Aaron, who scored twice for Gers, said: "Nobody likes to leave a club as big as Rangers, but I'm young and to progress as a player I needed to play.

"It was a difficult decision to turn my back on the Scottish champions for a Second Division side in Spain.

"But as far as I was concerned there was no other option because I'll get more minutes at Celta.

"I learned many things at Rangers. I improved on the physical side and know what it's like to be at a great club.

"It was a wonderful experience because I've now sampled another culture and met new people.

"My problem was probably that I was young and the trainer preferred to trust more experienced players.

"I don't hold anything against the coach. Every manager has his own ideas and there is no magic formula to be successful.

"To him things were good the way he worked, we won two trophies in a season and he trusted other players.

"I hope things go well for them from now on and I think they have a team that's good enough to be champions again this season.

"I'll always support Rangers in Scotland and it's a club I'll have in my heart for the rest of my life after the good time I had there.

"I don't know if I'll return to Rangers one day. At this moment my career has taken another route but in football you never know what might happen.

"What I can tell the Rangers fans is that it was a pleasure to play for the club. They'll continue being the biggest team in Scotland and one of the best in the world. I will take charge of spreading the Rangers word through Spain."

Aaron had been one of the top performers in the World Cup going on in Egypt right now.

He scored three times in the group games as Spain qualified with a 100 per cent record.

They trailed 2-0 to Italy in the last 16 but after Aaron bagged one from the spot he had the chance to level the match when Spain were awarded another penalty. However, keeper Vincenzo Fiorillo pushed his kick away, then Mattia Mustacchio scored again for the Italians.

Aaron sighed: "It was a pity and a surprise to get knocked out by Italy. I had the chance to level the game with a penalty five minutes before the end.

"But the Italian goalkeeper guessed what I was going to do and it was a big disappointment.

"I'll never forget this experience but I'll learn from it.

"I went from the great time we had qualifying from the first phase to the disappointment of falling down in the last 16 after a bad match for the team.

"But after my disappointment at Rangers the Under-20 World Cup has allowed me to realise I can play at the highest level.

"I scored four goals and have had good feelings at a tournament that is a great shop window, with some of the best young players in the world playing against each other.

"I never thought it was a chance to show Rangers had made a mistake by letting me go.

"I just thought about doing things well and enjoying my game."

Aaron will now concentrate on helping Celta's promotion bid, but is already planning a trip to catch up with his old Gers pals.

He added: "I still keep in contact with several players at Rangers. Usually we talk through the internet or on the phone.

"I have left some good friends there but I know the bonds will stay forever.

"Nacho Novo was like my father in Scotland but I also got on well with some of the younger boys.

"I was also friendly with DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu. And I'm thinking of going on holiday to visit them in America next summer."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...nst-Walter.html

Still can't help but feel we missed a trick with Aaron.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wish he had played more but conducted himself in an exellant manner in this interview refusing to blame the manager and stating something we all know that Rangers will always be the biggest club in Scotland (tu)

AARON held his head in his hands as his sickening spot-kick miss saw Spain crash out of the Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday.

But the winger reckons he's nursing a bigger regret after failing to win over Walter Smith.

Aaron joined Gers on a two-year loan deal from Valencia in August 2008, but returned to his homeland in the summer to be shipped out to Second Division Celta Vigo instead.

Despite starting just one game for Gers the 20-year-old insists he will forever treasure his spell at Ibrox.

But he'll always have the gnawing feeling things could have been so different if Smith had turned to him rather than some of the older heads in the squad.

Aaron, who scored twice for Gers, said: "Nobody likes to leave a club as big as Rangers, but I'm young and to progress as a player I needed to play.

"It was a difficult decision to turn my back on the Scottish champions for a Second Division side in Spain.

"But as far as I was concerned there was no other option because I'll get more minutes at Celta.

"I learned many things at Rangers. I improved on the physical side and know what it's like to be at a great club.

"It was a wonderful experience because I've now sampled another culture and met new people.

"My problem was probably that I was young and the trainer preferred to trust more experienced players.

"I don't hold anything against the coach. Every manager has his own ideas and there is no magic formula to be successful.

"To him things were good the way he worked, we won two trophies in a season and he trusted other players.

"I hope things go well for them from now on and I think they have a team that's good enough to be champions again this season.

"I'll always support Rangers in Scotland and it's a club I'll have in my heart for the rest of my life after the good time I had there.

"I don't know if I'll return to Rangers one day. At this moment my career has taken another route but in football you never know what might happen.

"What I can tell the Rangers fans is that it was a pleasure to play for the club. They'll continue being the biggest team in Scotland and one of the best in the world. I will take charge of spreading the Rangers word through Spain."

Aaron had been one of the top performers in the World Cup going on in Egypt right now.

He scored three times in the group games as Spain qualified with a 100 per cent record.

They trailed 2-0 to Italy in the last 16 but after Aaron bagged one from the spot he had the chance to level the match when Spain were awarded another penalty. However, keeper Vincenzo Fiorillo pushed his kick away, then Mattia Mustacchio scored again for the Italians.

Aaron sighed: "It was a pity and a surprise to get knocked out by Italy. I had the chance to level the game with a penalty five minutes before the end.

"But the Italian goalkeeper guessed what I was going to do and it was a big disappointment.

"I'll never forget this experience but I'll learn from it.

"I went from the great time we had qualifying from the first phase to the disappointment of falling down in the last 16 after a bad match for the team.

"But after my disappointment at Rangers the Under-20 World Cup has allowed me to realise I can play at the highest level.

"I scored four goals and have had good feelings at a tournament that is a great shop window, with some of the best young players in the world playing against each other.

"I never thought it was a chance to show Rangers had made a mistake by letting me go.

"I just thought about doing things well and enjoying my game."

Aaron will now concentrate on helping Celta's promotion bid, but is already planning a trip to catch up with his old Gers pals.

He added: "I still keep in contact with several players at Rangers. Usually we talk through the internet or on the phone.

"I have left some good friends there but I know the bonds will stay forever.

"Nacho Novo was like my father in Scotland but I also got on well with some of the younger boys.

"I was also friendly with DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu. And I'm thinking of going on holiday to visit them in America next summer."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...nst-Walter.html

Still can't help but feel we missed a trick with Aaron.

You're not wrong there, son. Thats why you where better getting out, you'd never play.

I thought he looked a great prospect. Very direct and willing to take on a man and put a ball in the box. Just unfortunate that type of player doesnt really fit into Walters tactics. Im sure the boy will go on to be a big name player in the future.

feel as if we have missed out on a future star here...Am just glad the boy has still got kind words to say about us and i Hope he goes on a stormer and plays well and hopefully returns one day

Good luck wee man (tu)

Very humble and mature young man. Nice to hear that he has so makind words to say about the club.

"My problem was probably that I was young and the trainer preferred to trust more experienced players."

That line stood out for me too. It is a line repeated by many young players at Ibrox and unfortunately things won't change until Walter leaves the club. At times like these, when our injury problems are high, you often wonder about the decision not to give our younger lads a run-out now and again to prepare them for first-team football.

Walter can complain all he likes about not having a big squad to choose from but there are 3 or 4 young players who, if given game time, could provide sufficient back-up and competition for the first team.