Aaron reflects on Rangers

Boab

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we signed him on the 2 year loan I don't think there was a specific option to buy for a specific fee, was there? He was taking time to adjust to the Scottish game, as he said that himself several times. It strikes me that he would have been taking a gamble to stay here for the full 2 years, since he no doubt guessed that he might not get too many games for financial reasons. There's every chance that had he become a 1st team regular for us during the loan, that Valencia would have wanted at least £3m maybe £4m for him, whereas if we had managed to keep him on the fringes for another season, the club might have been able to secure him for a lot less money if they'd assured him he would get games once signed up permanently. Possible?

AARON held his head in his hands as his sickening spot-kick miss saw Spain crash out of the Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday.

But the winger reckons he's nursing a bigger regret after failing to win over Walter Smith.

Aaron joined Gers on a two-year loan deal from Valencia in August 2008, but returned to his homeland in the summer to be shipped out to Second Division Celta Vigo instead.

Despite starting just one game for Gers the 20-year-old insists he will forever treasure his spell at Ibrox.

But he'll always have the gnawing feeling things could have been so different if Smith had turned to him rather than some of the older heads in the squad.

Aaron, who scored twice for Gers, said: "Nobody likes to leave a club as big as Rangers, but I'm young and to progress as a player I needed to play.

"It was a difficult decision to turn my back on the Scottish champions for a Second Division side in Spain.

"But as far as I was concerned there was no other option because I'll get more minutes at Celta.

"I learned many things at Rangers. I improved on the physical side and know what it's like to be at a great club.

"It was a wonderful experience because I've now sampled another culture and met new people.

"My problem was probably that I was young and the trainer preferred to trust more experienced players.

"I don't hold anything against the coach. Every manager has his own ideas and there is no magic formula to be successful.

"To him things were good the way he worked, we won two trophies in a season and he trusted other players.

"I hope things go well for them from now on and I think they have a team that's good enough to be champions again this season.

"I'll always support Rangers in Scotland and it's a club I'll have in my heart for the rest of my life after the good time I had there.

"I don't know if I'll return to Rangers one day. At this moment my career has taken another route but in football you never know what might happen.

"What I can tell the Rangers fans is that it was a pleasure to play for the club. They'll continue being the biggest team in Scotland and one of the best in the world. I will take charge of spreading the Rangers word through Spain."

Aaron had been one of the top performers in the World Cup going on in Egypt right now.

He scored three times in the group games as Spain qualified with a 100 per cent record.

They trailed 2-0 to Italy in the last 16 but after Aaron bagged one from the spot he had the chance to level the match when Spain were awarded another penalty. However, keeper Vincenzo Fiorillo pushed his kick away, then Mattia Mustacchio scored again for the Italians.

Aaron sighed: "It was a pity and a surprise to get knocked out by Italy. I had the chance to level the game with a penalty five minutes before the end.

"But the Italian goalkeeper guessed what I was going to do and it was a big disappointment.

"I'll never forget this experience but I'll learn from it.

"I went from the great time we had qualifying from the first phase to the disappointment of falling down in the last 16 after a bad match for the team.

"But after my disappointment at Rangers the Under-20 World Cup has allowed me to realise I can play at the highest level.

"I scored four goals and have had good feelings at a tournament that is a great shop window, with some of the best young players in the world playing against each other.

"I never thought it was a chance to show Rangers had made a mistake by letting me go.

"I just thought about doing things well and enjoying my game."

Aaron will now concentrate on helping Celta's promotion bid, but is already planning a trip to catch up with his old Gers pals.

He added: "I still keep in contact with several players at Rangers. Usually we talk through the internet or on the phone.

"I have left some good friends there but I know the bonds will stay forever.

"Nacho Novo was like my father in Scotland but I also got on well with some of the younger boys.

"I was also friendly with DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu. And I'm thinking of going on holiday to visit them in America next summer."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...nst-Walter.html

Still can't help but feel we missed a trick with Aaron.

Very True Boab - I have been based in Spain for 3 years and work over in India and Nigeria etc on the rigs...but I am happy as I return to Norwegian waters this next trip anyway...........when at home I go to La Liga and Div1 games inbetween Gers games..great standard the Liga Div 1 would be SPL doh

Aaron has a big fan base here and also his own website....the kid played for the Spanish u18 (Pld 10 6GLS) U19(PLD 23 in 8) U20(PLD 11 GLS 7) U21's int(4PLD 4 GLS 1)* stats at end of last season.

I may add on this kid never got a look in, many Spanish locals rave about him, I watched him with Xerez and when he played for Valencia as a sub at home against Real due to many players injured but he was quality..ff's look on you tube.

I was confused after all we were moaning about a wide player, Aaron was two footed and was tricky and quick - BUT I suppose that goes down in the book as another strange Wattie decision especially near the end of the season when fresh legs could have helped a big deal.......

Change of subject again but if I WAS WS - I would have had my agents down to England to get Andrius Velicka back for back up for a few matyches as well as Andy Webster WHO after speaking with SYD a mad Dun Utd fan who tells it like it is Webster looked a class above any other Utd back players - which might not go down too well for the morale (tu)

Very kind words from the lad, in spite of not really getting much playing time here. Would have liked to have seen more of him, but for whatever reasons it wasn't to be. Pity.

Wish him the very best, though - he's proven himself a true class act with that interview.

Any Aaron thread always ends up with an argument.

So here's my tuppenceworth :pipe:

You can say Smith has a younger squad now, but that's not through choice. Even then, the average age of the players that actually have a chance of playing regularly is still somewhere arouind 27/28, so nothing spectacular.

You can say Fleck and Little all you want, but one is used sparingly and the other only got a chance because of a defensive crisis.

And as for Aaron - we'll regret it.

AARON held his head in his hands as his sickening spot-kick miss saw Spain crash out of the Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday.

But the winger reckons he's nursing a bigger regret after failing to win over Walter Smith.

Aaron joined Gers on a two-year loan deal from Valencia in August 2008, but returned to his homeland in the summer to be shipped out to Second Division Celta Vigo instead.

Despite starting just one game for Gers the 20-year-old insists he will forever treasure his spell at Ibrox.

But he'll always have the gnawing feeling things could have been so different if Smith had turned to him rather than some of the older heads in the squad.

Aaron, who scored twice for Gers, said: "Nobody likes to leave a club as big as Rangers, but I'm young and to progress as a player I needed to play.

"It was a difficult decision to turn my back on the Scottish champions for a Second Division side in Spain.

"But as far as I was concerned there was no other option because I'll get more minutes at Celta.

"I learned many things at Rangers. I improved on the physical side and know what it's like to be at a great club.

"It was a wonderful experience because I've now sampled another culture and met new people.

"My problem was probably that I was young and the trainer preferred to trust more experienced players.

"I don't hold anything against the coach. Every manager has his own ideas and there is no magic formula to be successful.

"To him things were good the way he worked, we won two trophies in a season and he trusted other players.

"I hope things go well for them from now on and I think they have a team that's good enough to be champions again this season.

"I'll always support Rangers in Scotland and it's a club I'll have in my heart for the rest of my life after the good time I had there.

"I don't know if I'll return to Rangers one day. At this moment my career has taken another route but in football you never know what might happen.

"What I can tell the Rangers fans is that it was a pleasure to play for the club. They'll continue being the biggest team in Scotland and one of the best in the world. I will take charge of spreading the Rangers word through Spain."

Aaron had been one of the top performers in the World Cup going on in Egypt right now.

He scored three times in the group games as Spain qualified with a 100 per cent record.

They trailed 2-0 to Italy in the last 16 but after Aaron bagged one from the spot he had the chance to level the match when Spain were awarded another penalty. However, keeper Vincenzo Fiorillo pushed his kick away, then Mattia Mustacchio scored again for the Italians.

Aaron sighed: "It was a pity and a surprise to get knocked out by Italy. I had the chance to level the game with a penalty five minutes before the end.

"But the Italian goalkeeper guessed what I was going to do and it was a big disappointment.

"I went from the great time we had qualifying from the first phase to the disappointment of falling down in the last 16 after a bad match for the team.

"But after my disappointment at Rangers the Under-20 World Cup has allowed me to realise I can play at the highest level.

"I scored four goals and have had good feelings at a tournament that is a great shop window, with some of the best young players in the world playing against each other.

"I never thought it was a chance to show Rangers had made a mistake by letting me go.

Aaron will now concentrate on helping Celta's promotion bid, but is already planning a trip to catch up with his old Gers pals.

He added: "I still keep in contact with several players at Rangers. Usually we talk through the internet or on the phone.

"Nacho Novo was like my father in Scotland but I also got on well with some of the younger boys.

"I was also friendly with DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu. And I'm thinking of going on holiday to visit them in America next summer."

Very True Boab - I have been based in Spain for 3 years and work over in India and Nigeria etc on the rigs...but I am happy as I return to Norwegian waters this next trip anyway...........when at home I go to La Liga and Div1 games inbetween Gers games..great standard the Liga Div 1 would be SPL doh

Aaron has a big fan base here and also his own website....the kid played for the Spanish u18 (Pld 10 6GLS) U19(PLD 23 in 8) U20(PLD 11 GLS 7) U21's int(4PLD 4 GLS 1)* stats at end of last season.

I may add on this kid never got a look in, many Spanish locals rave about him, I watched him with Xerez and when he played for Valencia as a sub at home against Real due to many players injured but he was quality..ff's look on you tube.

I was confused after all we were moaning about a wide player, Aaron was two footed and was tricky and quick - BUT I suppose that goes down in the book as another strange Wattie decision especially near the end of the season when fresh legs could have helped a big deal.......

Change of subject again but if I WAS WS - I would have had my agents down to England to get Andrius Velicka back for back up for a few matyches as well as Andy Webster WHO after speaking with SYD a mad Dun Utd fan who tells it like it is Webster looked a class above any other Utd back players - which might not go down too well for the morale (tu)

Velicka's injured, has been for a few months now

You can say Smith has a younger squad now, but that's not through choice. Even then, the average age of the players that actually have a chance of playing regularly is still somewhere arouind 27/28, so nothing spectacular.

You can say Fleck and Little all you want, but one is used sparingly and the other only got a chance because of a defensive crisis.

He signed them did he not? hehe

And, our average will always be high fella, Weir is 103 so its skewed due to that (tu)

from what Aaron showed us in his few appearances we were not missing much. yes he plays well for the spanish under 20's but i never saw any of that form while he was wearing the gers strip. sorry just not buying the hype, as people say about boyd, if he was sooooo good then why is he playing for a second division spanish side :rolleyes:

yeah because in the 90 odd minutes he played in the first team he scored two goals and set up 3 but yeah...nothing.

Sorry to disagree but the odd "90" mins against Forfar and Hamilton ( when 4 or 5-0 up) seems to be his level, just as the championship and league 1 seem to be Adams, burkes and furmans level (tu)

And what about his performances against teams of a higher level? Oh wait, there weren't any.

So how can you possibly come to that conclusion? <cr>

He will play in the Primera Leaque in the not to distant future, thats for sure m8.

look if he was good enough then why is he playing at celta vigo in the b league in spain ?? if he was as good as the people on here who most likely have never seen him play club football, only the odd appearance at a youth tournament where many a youth has done exceptionally well and gone onto nothing.

he wasnt picked against better opposition because clearly the management felt he wouldnt bring anything to the table whether it be defensive cover for the left back of the desired balance to the team. the management team who seen him DAY IN DAY OUT decided he wasnt good enough and thats all that matters for me. (tu)

He signed them did he not? hehe

And, our average will always be high fella, Weir is 103 so its skewed due to that (tu)

:lol:

I agree papaguy - What baffles me is Rooney was 16 when he got his debut from Walter...then Walter was quoted saying he thought Fleck was as good as Rooney at the same age and could progress to be a better player* This is gospel from Walters mouth !

So why is he so scared to play the young gunz - who usually feel no fear, have pace and try things older experienced players wouldn't.

I am not saying fill the side with youth but the subs we have to have 2 U21's - so why not give them game tim e if we are winning in the 2nd half comfy as most of the bigger English sides do..ffs Everton had another 16 year old out at the weekend, Man Utd, Arsenal are all playing the new breakthroughs.

Walter has my upmost respect and he can spot a great player from a mile off but is so reluctant to play a promisisng youth to a near cripled experience Dailly LOL sorry Chris.....we have Fleck, Wilson, McMillan, Rory Loy, Little and many more that are chapping at the bit.......

IN TIMES GONE BY - we have offloaded most young players and most have went on to be stars in the teams they were put to - Stephen Hughes at Norwich, Charlie Adam at Blackpool, Alan Gow at Plymouth, Giorgious Effrem, Ross McCormack to Cardiff - top scorer and the list goes on. over the years.......but 80% that leave the old firm at a young age all go on to have a great successful career - proves the training is good but should we get rid of players so young and so early - what do you think ?

Are we better off putting our younger players down into the English Championship rather than sitting warming our clubs benches ? Or should we start trusting that footballers are good enough at 16 if they have talent and are ready to enter the big stage....Messi -17 / Pele 16 need I say more ?????

I agree papaguy - What baffles me is Rooney was 16 when he got his debut from Walter...then Walter was quoted saying he thought Fleck was as good as Rooney at the same age and could progress to be a better player* This is gospel from Walters mouth !

No he didn't, Davie Moyes did.

Velicka's injured, has been for a few months now

We should also be looking to give young Rory Loy a run up front - donno if you have watched the kid but he is a deadly finisher, but at least he is making the bench in some games - it's a start - Follow on REGARDLESS :praise: We shall not be moved

Velicka is away to Bristol City as I thought - he was put on loan down to get him match fit and get his scoring boots on again - times like we have been facing makes you wonder what he may have been doing -goal wise ?

I Hope THAT he is not down there so he can be watched and prices can be put in for him...... he is a great goal scorer in the same mould as Boydy(maybe a bit more flexible) player IMO and with Rothen's crosses and Smith's from the otherside Velicka will score without a doubt - but I will have to check how long he is on loan and if we can call him back at any time ? - at least we are getting the fringe players full games in a great league Boab would you not agree ? !

We should also be looking to give young Rory Loy a run up front - donno if you have watched the kid but he is a deadly finisher, but at least he is making the bench in some games - it's a start - Follow on REGARDLESS :praise: We shall not be moved

Velicka did go out on loan but got injured within 10 or so minutes of his City debut.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8209239.stm

I agree about Loy though, I like him.

Velicka is away to Bristol City as I thought - he was put on loan down to get him match fit and get his scoring boots on again - times like we have been facing makes you wonder what he may have been doing -goal wise ?

I Hope THAT he is not down there so he can be watched and prices can be put in for him...... he is a great goal scorer in the same mould as Boydy(maybe a bit more flexible) player IMO and with Rothen's crosses and Smith's from the otherside Velicka will score without a doubt - but I will have to check how long he is on loan and if we can call him back at any time ? - at least we are getting the fringe players full games in a great league Boab would you not agree ? !

Velicka did go out on loan but got injured within 10 or so minutes of his City debut.

Sorry mate - I never knew he got injured down there ffs he is what we need just now - maybe big Laffy can start powering through the centre up front and deal with swing balls from our midfield flair players.............Sorry dude -never meant to undermine you about Velicka but I see you have also watched Rory in action - surely he will feature, even if it is in Scottish Cup early rounds against Elgin or Annan Athletica for eg. Too many kids are not getting the 30 m ins they need at least, some get 5 mins and to me that is pointless. :blush:

Sorry mate - I never knew he got injured down there ffs he is what we need just now - maybe big Laffy can start powering through the centre up front and deal with swing balls from our midfield flair players.............Sorry dude -never meant to undermine you about Velicka but I see you have also watched Rory in action - surely he will feature, even if it is in Scottish Cup early rounds against Elgin or Annan Athletica for eg. Too many kids are not getting the 30 m ins they need at least, some get 5 mins and to me that is pointless. :blush:

No worries while its something I agree with about giving Murray Park players 25-30 minutes combined with starts but that doesn't seem Walter tbh at all. We can often be up at home by maybe 2 goals and then no young player comes on when it seems so apt.

Btw, see this mate: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3765250

huge mistake by rangers here, he would've been a cracking wee player if he was played properly. but i didnt see him day in day out o what can i say?! good luck to the lad and i hope he becomes the best winger in the world one day