Top three Gers letdowns?

broxi51

0-0 v CSKA Moscow, Ibrox, May '93. Plotnikov in goal. Need I say more?

For younger (!) Bears, we needed to beat CSKA and Marseille to draw or lose in Brugge to qualify for the Champions League final against AC.Milan. To sum up, it wasn't Ally McCoist's night.. I suppose I knew we would never get that close again, and no Scottish team ever will. Or at least no team playing in the SPL. Probably the only time I ever cried at a football match..

Player wise, maybe Basile Boli, who scored the winning goal for Marseille in that final before he signed for us. He had a reputation as a real hard b*stard, headbutting Stuart Pearce at Euro'92. He won the SPL in 94-95, but never even came close to living up to his reputation. Indeed he was considered a bigger signing than Laudrup in the summer of '94. That was in the days when we signed players with reputations for something other than bevvying..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 in a row biggest let down in my football life.

Semi Final of European Cup in1959-60 when we lost both legs to Eintracht 6-1 away and 6-3 at home.

Final of European Cup Winners Cup 1960-61 against Fiorentina when we lost both legs 2-0 at home and 2-1 away.

The two worst in recent memory were the UEFA cup final, and losing 3-0 to Lyon at home. The game in the 2008 season where the scum beat us 3-2 was hard to take as well, considering all the incorrect decision that went against us. Obviously losing to celtic is always terrible, but there's always the fact that I know have another chance to annihilate them. For that reason I think the first two I mentioned were the biggest letdowns. Two great chances to prove what we were made of to the whole of Europe, and we blew them both.

There's loads more than that, I just went for the most recent. This thread is too depressing.

I would have said 3 european nights but will leave 1 of them out because we did well to get there but we never shown up and thanks to cousin in the last round, if he had been on the park maybe just maybe the script for the nightmare ending would have been re written.?

as it was said above in 92/93 cska moscow, all we had to do was put that ball in the net but it wasn't to be, we chucked everything at them including the kitchen sink and got nothing in return. just a few years ago under eck? all we had to do was beat panathonikos at ibrox (we where tipped as the favs to beat them that night) everything was going great with a michael mols goal in the first half but then the disaster struck, we got ripped apart from pillar to post in the self destruction of our defense......damage was done,(haven't felt that anguish since) just a season before that when we faced galatasary *sp our old friend that night came back to haunt us jardel.

3rd one was the scottish cup final against utd, calqmty jane was in goals for us and of course it had to be those two that caused the problem which lead to brewster slotting home the winner.

In addition to alot of what's been said already, the last SPL game against Aberdeen in the 07-08 season was a big letdown for me. Even though the title was practically gone, that performance was awful and flat for what had been the ultimate rollercoaster of a season

1. Not progressing further in Europe under Advocaat.

2. Clubs failure to defend the fans on so called sectarian / bigotry allegations.

3. Those who tarnished the name of our great club in Manchester.

( Player let downs )

1. Basile Boli -

2. Oleg Salenko

3. Bert Konterman

All big reputations yet so disappointing.

Im young so for me in recent years, although getting to Manchester was amazing it was so disappointing not winning or even scoring. Losing the league in the same season as Manchester when we were leading all the way pretty much and probs PLG era when we wer just so rotten.

Good times now tho! Championeees :D

1) The Le Guen "era"

2) Not winning the league in 2008

3) Rangers 0 Lyon 3

Player wise:

1) All the Le Guen signings bar Papac

2) Rodriguez. Dado said he was class!

3) Ian Murray. The Hibs fans said he was quality ffs

4) Cousin- 90% of the time

5)Gavin Rae

1. UEFA Cup Final and walking back from Ibrox after it.
  2. Watching promising Rangers teams being over ran by Celtic and being trophyless.
  3. The year we finished 3rd

1. Karl Svensson (He was amazing in FM)/Jeremy Clement
  2. Capucho, expected better of an UEFA Cup winner
  3. Mikel Arteta after he got injured, in his 2nd season. He was great 1st season and start of 2nd, then got injured and when he came back he didn't look the same player.

Whit a fukcin depressin thread!

When I look back on the Uefa Cup Final, I think we played the right game, as we were an inferior side to Zenit.

However, after the event, I felt we should just have went for it if we were gonna lose it anyway.

Bit like saying if I knew I wiz gonny get divorced, a wouldnae a got fukcin married!

Hindsights a wonderful thing!

Sad, sad day.

Semi Final of European Cup in1959-60 when we lost both legs to Eintracht 6-1 away and 6-3 at home.

Final of European Cup Winners Cup 1960-61 against Fiorentina when we lost both legs 2-0 at home and 2-1 away.

What age are you minstral?

He's 104

I am 58 years old mate. :)

10 in a Row and the Uefa Cup Final. Nothing after those 2 comes anywhere close so I'll stick at 2 letdowns.

Playerwise:

Capucho (after seeing him run the t**** about for Porto)

Jeffers (the fox in the box got caught in the fukin ibrox headlights thats for sure)

Ostenstaad (didnt have huge expectations but dont think I've seen a worse striker at ibrox)

And who said Frank de Boer? the guy oozed class and WANTED to stay ther only reason he didn't was because he promised his brother he'd move with him.