Footballers who didn't fulfill their talent/wasted it

Butragueno

Recoba.jpg

Alvaro Recoba - El Chino's natural talent was just shocking. The things he could do with a dead ball defied the laws of physics and he's still probably the most naturally gifted player i've ever seen. Massimo Moratti loved him so much that he made him the highest paid player on the planet and sacked Hector Cuper when he refused to start him; the former possibly attributable to his plight. Himself and Nicola Ventola were seen as the future of Inter Milan, but things didn't work out that way. A genius on his day, but could only be bothered in ephemeral spurts.

n_20080805184357_jose_antonio_reyes_cald

Jose Antonio Reyes - Debuted with Sevilla at 16 and was an absolute icon to their fans. His pace and close control made it almost impossible for the opposition to steal possession from him and he overtook Figo as the best winger/attacker in Spain for a while. I'm a self confessed Wenger fan boy, but signing Reyes for Arsenal is still something that i'll just never ever get my head around. He only learned to speak and write in Spanish at the age of 12 (he was effectively dumb growing up), and his thick, gypsy accent (he literally came from a travelling band of gypsies) made it difficult for most Spaniards to understand him, yet he was supposed to settle in London? He hated everything about England and after a mediocre spell at Real Madrid, he ended up at Atletico where again, he struggled. Atletico offered him to basically every team in Spain last summer but no one wanted him, not even Sevilla. Playing in Portugal now and has slipped right off the radar.

dale2.jpg

Andres D'Alessandro - Originally looked like he would have been everything Pablo Aimar was and more. Captained River at 21 and completely lit up their side alongside Javier Saviola with his silky, entertaining style of play. Florentino Perez personally ordered a delegation of 5 scouts to regularly go and watch him when he was at River and his performances at the 2001 Youth Champions had the Argies believing they finally had a number 10 who was the real deal. An ill-thought of move to Germany and a loan spell at Portsmouth later, he's playing in Brazil and is being linked with a move to LA Galaxy.

There's a few to get us started, add your own. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riquelme - should have been running the show for one of Europe's elite sides.

Veron - as above.

Jesus Navas - probably not his fault, but his chronic homesickness has cost him dear.

Rodrigo Palacio - never hit the heights people expected.

Mark Bosnich - superb goalie, ruined it with the drugs.

Adrian Mutu - again, as above.

Guest SandyWaTp

Veron - as above.

Jesus Navas - probably not his fault, but his chronic homesickness has cost him dear.

Thankfully Navas appears to be getting the better of his sickness.

Veron - as above.

I still often wonder how Riquelme's career would have panned out if Van Gaal didn't get a hold of him. For those who don't know, it was the Barca techincal team that signed him, much to the annoyance of Van Gaal who didn't rate him. Van Gaal made his life a misery, hardly played him and when he did, played him at left mid (urgh). We were treated to some fantastic performances from him at Villareal but still, what a waste.

Great shout with Bosnich. He made the worst career move ever in signing for Man Utd but on form he was right up there with Toldo in the late 90's/early 00's.

Anyone remember Lentini?? Mooved to Milan for a world record fee (£13 mil I think) then had a car crash and I dont think he was ever the same after that.

Also, Paulo Sousa I seem to remember was hailed as a one time possible best player in the world. Think it was a knee injury wrecked his career

Adriano - promised so much when he first broke into the Brazil side, then failed drastically at Inter.

You could say 'The Real' Ronaldo never fulfilled his undoubted talent due to injuries.

Guest SandyWaTp
Adriano - promised so much when he first broke into the Brazil side, then failed drastically at Inter.

You could say 'The Real' Ronaldo never fulfilled his undoubted talent due to injuries.

He didn't fail at Inter , he just went off the rails towards the end.

Steve Paterson.

He was supposedly according to my dad, a really talented footballer in his younger days, but was too much into the drink, which he still is.

Was driving down the road last year in Keith and he stumbled oot a pub, fucking bleezing.

i remember seeing a programme about jody morris when i was about 7 or 8 and he was getting through the ranks at chelsea and was gonna be the next big thing!!

now he's at st johnstone!!

Im sure he turned down a new contract at chelsea, bet he regrets that now <cr>

The ones who i thought what have achieved terrific things in the game

Pablo Aimar

Andres D'Alessandro

Michael Mols

Javier Saviola

Adriano

Maxi Lopez

Adrian Mutu

Diesler

Kehl

Podolski (literally one of the best left pegs i've seen on a striker)

Mendieta (had he never left Lazio, he would of outshone Zidane easily for the last decade. instead ends up at Middlesborough)

George Best (should of played for a lot longer, had he been under SAF, he would of been better than Giggs for at least 2 decades)

Matt LeTissier.

Vicente.

Sebastian Diesler.

Javier Saviola.

Lee Sharpe.

Jody Morris.

Juan Pablo Sorín.

Lars Ricken.

Brilliant shout with Vicente, mate. Literally unplayable alongside Mista during the 2003-2004 season when he won the Don Balon and Valencia done the double. The Valencia doctors are still blamed for basically wrecking the guy's legs by perennially misdiagnosing him.

Charlie Miller,not in the same class as the other names mentioned in this thread but he springs to mind.

Sticking with the Scottish theme, did anyone else think Derek Riordan pissed more talent than the rest of the Hibs youngsters at that time?

I honestly think he could have been a star for us if we landed him with that deadline day bid a few seasons back.

Charlie Miller,not in the same class as the other names mentioned in this thread but he springs to mind.

Sticking with the Scottish theme, did anyone else think Derek Riordan pissed more talent than the rest of the Hibs youngsters at that time?

I honestly think he could have been a star for us if we landed him with that deadline day bid a few seasons back.

Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same thing with Broon the other day.

If he'd came to us, instead of being squandered by Strachan, he'd probably be a player just now.

Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same thing with Broon the other day.

If he'd came to us, instead of being squandered by Strachan, he'd probably be a player just now.

If Brown came to Rangers he'd have had carte blanche in a 4-5-1, surrounded by the likes of Ferguson, Thomson and Hemdani with no pressure on him at all. At Celtic, he was thrown into a bombsite of a midfield and was told to basically be the 'main man'. He'd have been excellent for us, but we wouldn't have got Davis at the end of the day.

What if....?

A saying I don't use much, infact, I can't remember the last time I used it? But, if Walter Smith had been at Rangers, and signed Derek Riordan, then he would now be a £10m+ footballer, and that is me backing Walter Smith!