Religious leaders at Old Firm match

likeacare

BBC News...

Scotland's religious leaders will join the First Minister Jack McConnell at next week's Old Firm clash.

They will watch the Bank of Scotland Premier League match between Celtic and Rangers and find out about efforts to banish sectarianism.

Cardinal Keith Patrick O'Brien will join the Right Reverend Alan McDonald, moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland at the game.

Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Sikh representatives will also attend.

Celtic Football Club chairman Brian Quinn said: "We are delighted the first minister and religious leaders have accepted our invitation to attend the match.

"Since the club's formation in 1888, Celtic has been a club open to all, regardless of religion or race and today we have supporters of many different backgrounds and religions.

"It is very important that we continue to promote this strong message of inclusion. Through a range of initiatives, the club has worked tirelessly against bigotry in all its forms and we will continue to do so.

"Football has the capacity to unite people and we are therefore pleased to have the leaders of these religious groups join us at the Old Firm match."

Mr McConnell has been highly critical of the sectarian divide between Rangers and Celtic supporters and labelled their turbulent meeting in November 2004 "a step back in time".

Both Glasgow clubs have confirmed their commitment to tackling the problem of racial and religious intolerance.

In December, a Sectarianism in Football working group launched plans to rid the game of bigotry.

Mr McConnell said at the time: "Very public visits such as this do send a signal that Scotland is uniting in its efforts to rid the country of bigotry and promote inclusion.

"The Old Firm clubs have much to be proud of in the way they have tackled these issues head-on in recent times.

"We have come a long way with our work in schools, football banning orders and new ways of dealing with marches and parades.

"There is still some way to go, but I am proud of the progress that Scotland, its football clubs, and our young people in particular have made."

I am sure that rangers fans will display tolerance and understanding and that very arrests shall be made.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Celtic origianly called the "Catholic Club for Boys", hence the nickname bhoys?

If so that makes a spin doctor out of Quinn, and not for the first time.

I don't think it was. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

doh I was going to post that, just ask CR!

Anyway, great news.

He he.

Prove it. lol. Only kidding.

Hopefully both sets of fans will behave and we will win by at least 2 goals.

What great political mind thought that up,really, I am all for cleaning up the terracing chants but this move achieves nothing!

Well, maybe those who chant biggoted slogans will think twice before doing so in front of their own religious leaders.

I certainly can't see their attendance being a negative thing in any way.

What great political mind thought that up,really, I am all for cleaning up the terracing chants but this move achieves nothing!

Well, maybe those who chant biggoted slogans will think twice before doing so in front of their own religious leaders.

I certainly can't see their attendance being a negative thing in any way.

You don't think the bigots will take the chance to give the leader of the "opposition" (as they see it) pelters? And Uncle Jack will get it from both sides!

Any Rangers supporters found to be shouting or singing bigoted

expletives will be removed from the stadium and handed over

to the police.

Any Celtic supporters acting in the same manner will be transferred to

another dioscese.

If only that were a joke......

I wonder if satan will be represented!

Cardinal Keith Patrick O'Brien will be there.

So i take it we should stop "punching papes" this week then :rolleyes:

Werent these religious leaders, invited to Ibrox but they declined?

I wonder if satan will be represented!

Cardinal Keith Patrick O'Brien will be there.

So i take it we should stop "punching papes" this week then :rolleyes:

Werent these religious leaders, invited to Ibrox but they declined?

When did they decline? Was it the last OF at Ibrox, and why did they give a reason for declining?

Am I right in saying that this religious love in could have taken place at Ibrox, at the last OF game, but it was

deemed to be a bad idea ?

If so, what has changed since then, that makes the tattiedome so appealing for this ecumenical stunt ?