Mendes to Sporting CP?

j1mgg

See to be honest even im sick of walking about in this shite weather and a wee offer to play in the same standard of league in sunny Lisbon with all your family. Its not a hard one really is it. I just hope we can scrape more than 1.5 million out othe deal.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player."

why the fuck nae cant we get players to come here on "reduced terms" and still enjoy 50,000 crowds and the limelight and champions league football. Wasnt mendes a so called signing in troubled financial times? yet now he will go to Porto for less wages than he is on for us quite happily. Shows how we've consistently been arseholed by players and agents for years, mendes would have taken £10-£15,000 a week to play for us,so we give him £20 grand a week, yet someone like Boyd is taking home £9000 a week and kick up the arse by the pro celtic press every week

Even darcheville was on way too much, and his time here set him up for life even tho he only started one game

i would say the one arseholing us is our chief exec who is clearly out his depth. transfer dealings during his time at Ibrox have been appauling.

Big Lee Legend has scored the same amount (or is it more?) goals this season than Mendes has in his Rangers career, even if Mendes’ have been spectacular. Point is; Mendes is dispensable and there are 3 or 4 players who can play in CM who are good enough to help us win the league,

Mendes is hit or miss at times and the money in transfer income and saving of wages would be most welcome to tie down more important players like Boyd.

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

However chances are we will never see it :(

Spot on, just what I said 2 posts above (tu)

And I've agreed many times on this.

He's sadly not 'Scottish' enough for some people.

Im not sure that really is the case with Mendes. You wont get more Scottish than Big Lee but im sure 95%+ would rather have Pedro.

I dont think any Rangers fan wouldnt appreciate a flair player when they are playing well and producing, but Mendes hasnt been like that the whole time hes been here. He showed it at the start and everyone was happy, but then he started to only show it in flashes.

His style of play only really benefits a team that has good players around him which hasnt always been the case, but I think in this current team though he could turn those flashes into a real run of form

Pedro Mendes tackling, interceptions, positioning, ball retention, distribution....is 10 times that of Lee McCulloch. His ball winning, whatever way it is, is an attribute of Mendes that is underrated - he doesn't crash into tackles, thunder into headers, but I bet he has a better tackle, interception, headers won....percentage than Lee McCulloch!

His positioning, and reading of the game also means that he doesn't get caught out as much, leaving massive gaps in the middle of the park.

"Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player."

why the fuck nae cant we get players to come here on "reduced terms" and still enjoy 50,000 crowds and the limelight and champions league football. Wasnt mendes a so called signing in troubled financial times? yet now he will go to Porto for less wages than he is on for us quite happily. Shows how we've consistently been arseholed by players and agents for years, mendes would have taken £10-£15,000 a week to play for us,so we give him £20 grand a week, yet someone like Boyd is taking home £9000 a week and kick up the arse by the pro celtic press every week

Even darcheville was on way too much, and his time here set him up for life even tho he only started one game

I have a feeling Mendes may have taken a pay cut to come here in the first place when you think about the amounts Portsmouth had been paying their players which is one of the reasons why they're now in such a financial predicament.

:anguish:

Pedro Mendes has offered to leave Rangers in the January transfer window if the club say they need the money to keep other players on. The Portuguese midfielder is attracting interest from Sporting Lisbon, who will make a £1.5 million move for the player if they sell top talent Miguel Veloso.

Mendes is on a reported £20,000 a week at Ibrox and the money saved on his wages – together with any transfer fee – could go towards an improved contract for the SPL’s all-time top goalscorer Kris Boyd. Boyd is out of contract at the end of the current campaign and his club are desperate to retain his services.

Former Tottenham and Porto midfielder Mendes has 18 months left on his current deal but has told Rangers that he would be keen on a return to his home country if they decide the time has come for him to move on.

“I do not know if they have to sell,” Mendes told the Daily Record. “But if they do then I wouldn’t mind moving if it helped the club. I’m aware Rangers are not in a good financial position but to what extent I’m not sure.

“Sporting are one of the great clubs in Portugal and I would be open to a proposal if Rangers let me leave. So far it is all just speculation as I have not spoken to Sporting yet and there has been no contact from the directors.”

Should an offer to return to Portugal be forthcoming, Mendes will have to decide between his current pay packet and the chance to impress in his homeland ahead of the 2010 World Cup. Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player.

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist admitted yesterday that his club would be willing to allow Mendes to leave this month but stated his hopes that he could stay on with the SPL champions.

“I’d never grudge Pedro anything,” said McCoist. “He’s obviously got great hopes of going to a World Cup. He’s 30 and might have an opportunity to end his career at home.

“I’d never grudge him that, but I hope he doesn’t go. From where I’m sitting I don’t want anyone to go.”

Last updated: 07 January 2010, 08:01

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...or-return-home/

Great post but Mendes is on 30k a week - Bazza went mental when he was signed as he was meant to be on more 35k I think and Bazza was on the same - because he was captain he took a fit - so they lowered it to 30k - which adds up in a season - even more if he is injured !

post-50526-1262869307_thumb.jpg

jcd started way more than 1 game for rangers

Emm i dont think he's going to Porto.

You don't have a clue. (tu)

Pedro Mendes has offered to leave Rangers in the January transfer window if the club say they need the money to keep other players on. The Portuguese midfielder is attracting interest from Sporting Lisbon, who will make a £1.5 million move for the player if they sell top talent Miguel Veloso.

Mendes is on a reported £20,000 a week at Ibrox and the money saved on his wages – together with any transfer fee – could go towards an improved contract for the SPL’s all-time top goalscorer Kris Boyd. Boyd is out of contract at the end of the current campaign and his club are desperate to retain his services.

Former Tottenham and Porto midfielder Mendes has 18 months left on his current deal but has told Rangers that he would be keen on a return to his home country if they decide the time has come for him to move on.

“I do not know if they have to sell,” Mendes told the Daily Record. “But if they do then I wouldn’t mind moving if it helped the club. I’m aware Rangers are not in a good financial position but to what extent I’m not sure.

“Sporting are one of the great clubs in Portugal and I would be open to a proposal if Rangers let me leave. So far it is all just speculation as I have not spoken to Sporting yet and there has been no contact from the directors.”

Should an offer to return to Portugal be forthcoming, Mendes will have to decide between his current pay packet and the chance to impress in his homeland ahead of the 2010 World Cup. Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player.

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist admitted yesterday that his club would be willing to allow Mendes to leave this month but stated his hopes that he could stay on with the SPL champions.

“I’d never grudge Pedro anything,” said McCoist. “He’s obviously got great hopes of going to a World Cup. He’s 30 and might have an opportunity to end his career at home.

“I’d never grudge him that, but I hope he doesn’t go. From where I’m sitting I don’t want anyone to go.”

Great post but Mendes is on 30k a week - Bazza went mental when he was signed as he was meant to be on more 35k I think and Bazza was on the same - because he was captain he took a fit - so they lowered it to 30k - which adds up in a season - even more if he is injured !

really? if true thats disgusting and sums that wee tit up, never a Rangers captain in his life never mind feckin legend!

i say good luck to Pedro, he hasnt been missed much although he is a decent player and we should be getting much more than 1.5m for him. but i suppose that fee is down to our club being an easy target. seems like our whole squad could be rifled of its best talent and clubs can offer anything for anyone.

i look forward to the day when Rangers actually say NO to a transfer bid.

really? if true thats disgusting and sums that wee tit up, never a Rangers captain in his life never mind feckin legend!

You're actually going to take that at face value? doh

it does sound very like Barry :(

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

However chances are we will never see it :(

Spot on, just what I said 2 posts above (tu)

And I've agreed many times on this.

He's sadly not 'Scottish' enough for some people.

Im not sure that really is the case with Mendes. You wont get more Scottish than Big Lee but im sure 95%+ would rather have Pedro.

I dont think any Rangers fan wouldnt appreciate a flair player when they are playing well and producing, but Mendes hasnt been like that the whole time hes been here. He showed it at the start and everyone was happy, but then he started to only show it in flashes.

His style of play only really benefits a team that has good players around him which hasnt always been the case, but I think in this current team though he could turn those flashes into a real run of form

Pedro Mendes tackling, interceptions, positioning, ball retention, distribution....is 10 times that of Lee McCulloch. His ball winning, whatever way it is, is an attribute of Mendes that is underrated - he doesn't crash into tackles, thunder into headers, but I bet he has a better tackle, interception, headers won....percentage than Lee McCulloch!

His positioning, and reading of the game also means that he doesn't get caught out as much, leaving massive gaps in the middle of the park.

Definitely mate (tu) I was saying i dont think its the case where people want rid of him because he isnt "hard" enough

There is no way under any circumstances that they would have or even been able to lower Pedro's wage. just because Barry wanted it

obviously not, im not that daft to swallow that, but him taking the huff, thats very believable and especially when he was out the team and Pedro was doing well.......

green eyed monster

bottom line with him was he thought he was better than he was

everyone knew he thought he was Mr Rangers, he most certainly was NOT.

(tu)

I want Mendes to play, class player, i would have him as a sitting midfielder to spray balls out to the wings/davis/boyd+miller. He, with his passing abilities, would excell in this role, no need for him to be an attacking footballer, leave that to Davis who has the engine to sprint from box to box

No mate it was common knowledge in certain circles and I heard from my fathers cronies as well as another very good source that plays for the club - last time I went home to Ayrshire - so NO that is not a face value BS post - I am old enough and brainy enough not to lie and especially with things like this as they would tend to back fire - BELIEVE IT Bears - Mendes and his agent were very surprised as the story goes and took the cut without a flicker of the eye lids - after all he was on a bit less at Pompey and Spurs !

There is no way under any circumstances that they would have or even been able to lower Pedro's wage. just because Barry wanted it Quote from Scott-RFC - of course not, this was when he first arrived and Bazza was fuming and the agents and players had a big barny - as I say some people like you wont believe anything even if they are proven wrong - but this is gospel as many Bears know !

And btw those who are saying they wouldn't change his pay - they didn't - it was when he signed on - Bazza felt as Captain he should be highest paid and they had a barny with agents etc and as I said above it all got sorted - But hey I don't care if you believe or not - I know it's true and my sources are solid !

post-50526-1262885197_thumb.jpg

post-50526-1262885218_thumb.jpg

thumbsup.bmp

untitled_badge.bmp