Most Underrated Players Of The Decade

Over the past few weeks you might have seen numerous threads on various forums praising guys like Zidane, Nedved, Ronaldinho & Ronaldo for their brillance over the past decade.

However I'm yet to see a thread putting names forward for who people feel is the most under rated player of the past decade.

I'll start with one of my picks: Sylvain Wiltord.

Internationally he scored the equalising goal at Euro 2000. Scored six goals in qualifying for Euro 2004 and played in the 06 World cup final.

And despite costing a fortune and effectively being a utility man, I don't think he was never really given the credit that Bergkamp, Pires & Henry were at Arsenal.

After all he scored the goal that sealed the title in 01/02, played a pretty prominant role in the "untouchable" season and had a more than decent return of 49 goals in 175 games and left with two league titles and two FA Cup medals under his arm.

Went on to to win another three league titles with Lyon and his career sort of tailed off after that, which has made some people overlook what was a very decent spell (00-07) for him IMO.

Sylvain Wiltord :praise:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that Robert Pires never got the praise he should have. World class but was always overlooked for some reason, IMO.

Gary Neville.

And a big shout out to Michel Salgado. Pitty he is at Blackburn now :anguish:

Raul. Has been a talismanic figure for Real Madrid and has scored a lot of goals while being a complete forward. Sir Alex Ferguson even said he was the best player in the world in 2003 but the highest individual award he got was the Bronze prize in the FIFA World Player of the Year. Even towards the end of the decade, he was still scoring over 20 goals a season when he regularly started.

Riquelme certainly, guy has more ability in his left foot than the likes of Roy Keane ever had

Robert Pires I think got over-looked a bit at Arsenal because they had Henry at the same time, I always admired Pires as a player

Riquelme.

Never made it at club level. Brilliant player for Argentina though.

I think he could have made it big, the ability was certainly there, infact he's still performing quality for Boca now, but say 2-3 years ago he could have easily walked into the EPL and took it by storm. I think he lives an "inclusive" lifestyle, he's a very loyal person. I wish him and Maradona would sort their feud out before SA would absolutely love to see JRR at the WC, he was one of the best players in 06 for me :crywank: