What to do with Danny...

papaguy51

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather Weir played until he was 45 than bring Webster back.

I'd certainly rather play David Weir next season than Andy Webster. You are guaranteed to get more games, and better performances from Weir!

In my ideal world, after just winning the 85 Million, i would have a word with Walter and tell him to drop Weir for Wilson. Give the auld yin a rest. Once he's had that, try Wilson out at Left back, or Boogie at Right back with Wilson in the middle.

:sherlock:

I haven't seen much of Webster this season, is it safe to say he's not much more than a squad player for Rangers?

He had a decent game against celtc in the 2-1 victory at Tannadice, and ever since then, he's become some sort of quality defender.

I've watched him this season, and he has had some good games, and some poor ones. The fullbacks have to be on their toes, and are continually covering for him due to his lack of pace, getting drawn out of position, and committing himsef far too early whether it be in the tackle or air...

I've got a number of mates who follow Dundee United every week, and their opinion of him is that he is a steady defender for Dundee United, but nowhere near good enough to be playing for Rangers every week - he's the sort of player who needs to be playing, when fit.

I've also a mate who plays for them, and he rates Lee Wilkie higher - that say's it all!

I haven't seen much of Webster this season, is it safe to say he's not much more than a squad player for Rangers?

He had a decent game against celtc in the 2-1 victory at Tannadice, and ever since then, he's become some sort of quality defender.

I've watched him this season, and he has had some good games, and some poor ones. The fullbacks have to be on their toes, and are continually covering for him due to his lack of pace, getting drawn out of position, and committing himsef far too early whether it be in the tackle or air...

I've got a number of mates who follow Dundee United every week, and their opinion of him is that he is a steady defender for Dundee United, but nowhere near good enough to be playing for Rangers every week - he's the sort of player who needs to be playing, when fit.

I've also a mate who plays for them, and he rates Lee Wilkie higher - that say's it all!

Thanks for that (tu)

It certainly leaves us with some tough decisions at the end of the season should Weir retire

I hate the constant slating of Weir on this forum.

In recent weeks he's been putting in performances that are pretty much identical to Wilson, yet despite being captain and our most consistant players over the past three years, he's the one who should be dropped? <cr>

All this talk of a lack of pace is going to hurt us is utter bollocks. Pace is no substitute for leadership qualities, organisational skills and experience and that's what gets you through Old Firm games.

In those departments Weir shits all over Bougherra and Wilson and that's why he will be our first choice centre half whenever he is available.

If I started a thread saying that Fleck should play against Celtic over Boyd because he's more comfortable playing 40/50 yards from goal than Boyd is then I would be rightfully slated.

People aren't going to truly appreciate Weir until he has gone and a dumpling like Webster is trying in vain to match his high standards.

spot on mate wev e lost i game in 34 is it and davie weir has been the mainstay of the defence hes a legend for me him and boogie

in defence all the time and if wilson doesn t sign his contract bye bye

spot on mate wev e lost i game in 34 is it and davie weir has been the mainstay of the defence hes a legend for me him and boogie

in defence all the time and if wilson doesn t sign his contract bye bye

Weir has been to Smith what Butcher was to Souness.

Weir is the one player in our squad who is an undoubted Hall Of Famer IMO.

I think we should have a protest about threads on RM that discuss the merits of football! :craphead:

In the case of Webster I think it is another case of absense makes the heart grow fonder. He seems to have the same ability to stay fit as Beasley. Wilson has done well but he also punts a lot of long balls (mind you so does Davie) but until we wrap this up it has to be Weir and Bougherra, but it will be interesting to see Bougherra and Wilson together this weekend.

Drop Danny Wilson!

Back to the pairing that got us through last season, and the one that has played a big part in this season. Danny Wilson is a good option to have, should Weir need a rest.

David Weir has made a few mistakes in recent weeks, but so has Danny Wilson!

Agree with both of these posts!

I'm going to reserve my opinion until after the St Mirren game so I can see what Wilson and Bougherra will actually be like. I hope they will be brilliant, but it's also possible that they'll be shite. We won't know till we've tried it.

In recent weeks he's been putting in performances that are pretty much identical to Wilson, yet despite being captain and our most consistant players over the past three years, he's the one who should be dropped? <cr>

All this talk of a lack of pace is going to hurt us is utter bollocks. Pace is no substitute for leadership qualities, organisational skills and experience and that's what gets you through Old Firm games.

In those departments Weir shits all over Bougherra and Wilson and that's why he will be our first choice centre half whenever he is available.

If I started a thread saying that Fleck should play against Celtic over Boyd because he's more comfortable playing 40/50 yards from goal than Boyd is then I would be rightfully slated.

People aren't going to truly appreciate Weir until he has gone and a dumpling like Webster is trying in vain to match his high standards.

People are desperate for the youngster to be the star

But Weir is the better option.

Weir n Bougie for me! Wilson to play if Weir needs rest or any are injured. By end of season Wilson will have played a fair amount of games and should be considered first chioce when Weir retires Captaining us to another league Title :praise:

People are desperate for the youngster to be the star

But Weir is the better option.

Weir leaves us fundamentally weakened due to his lack of pace. Wilson doesnt. That's the key difference to me, especially in an Old Frim game against pacey forwards like the scum have

I honestly can't think of a goal we've lost due to Weir's lack of pace.

For a typical centre back Weir isn't even that slow! CB's are rarely overly quick, Bougherra being an exception.

Today showed me how unsettled the defence looks without Weir. Both Bougherra and Wilson switched off at times and Weir rarely does that.

He's the captain for a reason.

Weir and Bougherra is the partnership that won us the league last season and has gone a long way to securing the league this season, Wilson has been a bonus.

Weir leaves us fundamentally weakened due to his lack of pace. Wilson doesnt. That's the key difference to me, especially in an Old Frim game against pacey forwards like the scum have

You are completely contradicting yourself here.

Surely if we drop Weir for Wilson then we play a higher defensive line, leaving more space for Celtic's pacey frowards to exploit?

If you keep Weir in the side you play a deeper line, which restricsts the space in behind and forces the Celtic forwards to play infront of our defence.

Seeing as we have only conceded 14 SPL goals this year it's clearly a tactic which works. So why go trying to change it? <cr>