David Weir

minstral

Treble-chasing David Weir is only seven days away from an indelible entry in the Rangers record books as the club’s oldest player in their 137-year history.

The Ibrox captain, who lifted the Co-operative Insurance Cup at Hampden on Sunday,

will eclipse Jock ‘Tiger’ Shaw by one day should he face St Johnstone at Perth a week

tonight.

Shaw was 39 years, 10 months and 19 days old when he played his final league game for Rangers against East Fife in October 1952. Weir will beat that by a single day if he turns out at McDiarmid Park.

Nobody more senior has featured for Rangers in recognised Scottish league football, with Dougie Gray having played at 40 years and seven months in the Southern League in 1945.

I'd love some clarification on his future, as if this season were to be his last, we really should plan a terrific send-off for the guy.

Totally agree Papa, i think the club should be given him an award to for his services to us over the three and a half years he has been here too. Without doubt the best player smith has signed in his second spell.

What an achievement. He's been a great signing, and I wouldn't be suprised to see him sign on for another year - although I'd rather he didn't, as it would probably be a season too far.

What an achievement. He's been a great signing, and I wouldn't be suprised to see him sign on for another year - although I'd rather he didn't, as it would probably be a season too far.

Thoroughly agree. Such a class act - a real throwback to an earlier era in that sense; not many around in this day and age with the dignity and character that Davie has.

That's an outstanding achievement. Well done to the big man.

I'd hand him an extension on his current deal, no doubt about it. If he was thirty, we would hand him a five-year deal and, if he was sixteen, we'd have him in our starting line-up - If they're good enough, they're old enough (Or in big Davie's case, young enough). He should be judged 110% on his form which has shown no sign of dropping, not his age.

I thought that he played well on Sunday. No-one was a stand-out, but he broke-up a number of St. Mirren attacks, won a few battles in the air and held it together very, very well when we went down to nine men.

Davie should play next year -- BUT in a reduced role. Personally, I'd leave it up to him. But 40 in the SPL/Europe is a wee bit too far imho of course.

Great leader on and off the pitch. And the value of that cannot be stated high enough. Ask Cuellar, Madjid and Danny.

Coaching must be the way forward for this fine Gentleman. :praise:

That's an outstanding achievement. Well done to the big man.

I'd hand him an extension on his current deal, no doubt about it. If he was thirty, we would hand him a five-year deal and, if he was sixteen, we'd have him in our starting line-up - If they're good enough, they're old enough (Or in big Davie's case, young enough). He should be judged 110% on his form which has shown no sign of dropping, not his age.

I thought that he played well on Sunday. No-one was a stand-out, but he broke-up a number of St. Mirren attacks, won a few battles in the air and held it together very, very well when we went down to nine men.

I disagree, I think hes starting to show his age. He will always have his ability to read the game, and could probably win headers against the rest of the SPL for 10 years yet, but as soon as he is required to do anything outside of that hes struggling. Hes not brilliant in the tackle now, obviously slow and lacking any sort of agility and is extremely uncomfortable in possession.

Hes been a tremendous signing but I think its time he went at the end of the season.

An absolute class act that will be hard to follow by whoever replaces him, can see whoever it is always being compared to Weir etc etc which I hope doesn't happen, would love it if he was signed in a coaching role for the defenders as he brings so much to the game but in all honesty I doubt he will as he might want to move back South permanently.

Does deserve a great send off though if he does leave us at the end of the season, quite a few actually, last SPL game at Ibrox, and for when he lifts the Scottish Cup at Hampden. :beer1: