MY Rangers LEGENDS

Weebawbees

I think in this instance it's important to realise that everyone places different criteria on whay makes a man a Rangers legend. Take Ian Ferguson(not the wallet dipper, the St Mirren one). In my opinion he wasn't a great Rangers player and never really fullfilled the potential he had to be a true legend, yet he won 9 Championship medals. Many Rangers fans might consider him a legend purely because he was an out and out Rangers fan. So were many others, is that really enough to qualify?

Legends as far as I am concerned...

Cooper

McCoist

Butcher

Hateley

Souness

Laudrup

there are so many more that deserve it bu in my mind just dont get there.

where's John Greig, sandy jardine, Derek Johnstone, Jim baxter, Willie henderson, Paul gascoigne, Richard Gough, Andy Goram ??

How is a legend defined?

We have Prso who is looked upon as a legend because of his enthusiasm for the club, in reality he gave us 18 months real playing time.

Gascoigne because of his brilliance over a couple of years for us.

Thers is no doubting the quality and effect of these two and many others but for me a legend is one who devoted himself and showed quality contributing to the club over several contracts.

"Legend" is a horribly over used word, it should be reserved for those who change the shape of the club with lasting effects that are felt in the long term rather than just very good players.

What is the criteria for someone to be a legend? for me it's a long serving player. Laudrup is my favorite player to ever dawn the Rangers shirt, but a legend? I dunno. Even Gazza. Both phenomenal players. When Gascoigne turned it on, it was surreal. But he had, what, 4 years at Ibrox? More of an icon than a legend. Sadly, in this era, players don't stay at clubs long enough to become legends.

What is the criteria for someone to be a legend? for me it's a long serving player. Laudrup is my favorite player to ever dawn the Rangers shirt, but a legend? I dunno. Even Gazza. Both phenomenal players. When Gascoigne turned it on, it was surreal. But he had, what, 4 years at Ibrox? More of an icon than a legend. Sadly, in this era, players don't stay at clubs long enough to become legends.

You have got it spot on; the difference between legends and icons; service,contirbution and devotion to the club over a good number of years and contracts

Barry Ferguson ?

I'm not sure what Barry is. Legend or Icon? Some of this actions were hardly iconic. I think if he never went to Blackburn, he would be. Now, i don't resent him for going. But his second spell at Rangers wasn't as successful, I think that was down to him taking pain injections so many times when he should have recovered from his ankle injuries properly. I suppose that shows you what this club meant to him. For a lot of Rangers fans, it's his second spell they think of when thinking of Barry. And of course there are those who do resent him for going to Blackburn. I think he's as close as we have to a modern day legend.

Great players have been countless and real Legends are too numerous to name. From Corky Young, Alex Scott, Johnny Hubbard all the way through to Gough, Laudrup, McCoist, Albertz etc, I've been very privileged to have seen so many. One of my favourites though was wee Davie Wilson who must have won us untold penalty kicks by going down in the box.....The funny thing was that the full back usually tackled him about the half way line hahaaaaa.The old timers would remember that.:beer1: