Is Steven Davis a better player...

I would also like to add that I have watched Barry Ferguson perform in the EPL this season and I don't see what everyone is raving about.

He doesn't tackle and he rarely ventures over the half way line. When he gets the ball, he plays it simple (More often to the side of backwards). He often takes the ball from the back 4, but very few teams press him him up the park, so he has a lot of time to pick a simple pass.

Most midfielders in the EPL can do that, but the world class players like Fabregas, Lampard and Gerrard take the ball in the opposing half, play through balls and make things happen.

Jeezo.

You are too sensible for this thread. Stop telling the truth, the wee Barry-ites won't be able to handle it.

I'm sorry.

What I meant to say was "Oh Barry Barry, Barry Barry Barry Barry Ferguson!"

I would trust the opinions of people who watch him week in week out down there before the opinions of people that still seem to hold daft grudges against him.

Everything I have read in the English press about Fergie has been complimentary, but I am sure you know better and they are all wrong……

A lot of rewriting of history going on in this thread, I always knew we had a lot of youngsters on this site but surely even they can remember the the last ten years ffs……anyone who claims Fergie wasn’t an outstanding player at club, European and international level isn’t really worth listening too.

If steve davis starts putting in the level of performance Fergie did in our european games then i will be over the moon.

Has anybody suggested that?, so far in this thread people have acknowledged that he was a good player and put in some very good performances for us. Only when some have suggested he was Worldclass and in the top 10 midfielders of his generation, we start to disagree.

Now that ain't a dig at his ability or some kind of hidden agenda against him, sadly that's just the plain truth.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to add that I have watched Barry Ferguson perform in the EPL this season and I don't see what everyone is raving about.

He doesn't tackle and he rarely ventures over the half way line. When he gets the ball, he plays it simple (More often to the side of backwards). He often takes the ball from the back 4, but very few teams press him him up the park, so he has a lot of time to pick a simple pass.

Most midfielders in the EPL can do that, but the world class players like Fabregas, Lampard and Gerrard take the ball in the opposing half, play through balls and make things happen.

Jeezo.

You are too sensible for this thread. Stop telling the truth, the wee Barry-ites won't be able to handle it.

I'm sorry.

What I meant to say was "Oh Barry Barry, Barry Barry Barry Barry Ferguson!"

I would trust the opinions of people who watch him week in week out down there before the opinions of people that still seem to hold daft grudges against him.

Everything I have read in the English press about Fergie has been complimentary, but I am sure you know better and they are all wrong……

A lot of rewriting of history going on in this thread, I always knew we had a lot of youngsters on this site but surely even they can remember the the last ten years ffs……anyone who claims Fergie wasn’t an outstanding player at club, European and international level isn’t really worth listening too.

If steve davis starts putting in the level of performance Fergie did in our european games then i will be over the moon.

Has anybody suggested that?, so far in this thread people have acknowledged that he was a good player and put in some very good performances for us. Only when some have suggested he was Worldclass and in the top 10 midfielders of his generation, we start to disagree.

Now that ain't a dig at his ability or some kind of hidden agenda against him, sadly that's just the plain truth.

I suggest you read the thread again......

Barry Has shown in the EPL how good a player he is/was for us. always played the easy pass, and kept the ball. I think its unfair to compare the two of them, as Barry played with a diffrent quality of player, than steven davis is at the moment (tu)

As people have said, we need to give Davis a long run in CM before we can start making comparisons, and Barry had much better players around him. Both very talented though. Tough call.

Right sensible hat on here...

Barry Ferguson was one of the most promising Scottish players in the past 20 years... his performances against the likes of Bayern Munich, Parma, Strum Graz etc were exeptional for a player so young...

But lets not forget he had some out standing team mates such as Reyna, Tugay, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, De Boer etc (typing that just made me realise how things have changed :( ) where as Steve Davis plays in a team of standard that is no where near the level of the afore mentioned players the only way we could make a comparison was if we could see Steve Davis in a team of similar quality.

I do believe Ferguson was a better player than Davis in his prime but the truth is we can never really compare the two as the standard of football in the spl has dramatically changed.

Ferguson only ever looked good when he was being carried by top class players round about him. He benefited from the usual hype because he was Scottish. Take all the hype away and we had an average midfielder who liked dropping deep, passing square and never really did it where it hurts.

Davis plays in a Rangers team bereft of quality and is very often the man that drives us, something Ferguson was incapable of when being surrounded by players of lesser ability.

To pick a couple of performances that spring to mind who carried him when we played porto and villareal at home in ecks last season in the CL when, in my view and only my view, he was the best player on the park up against simone and riqueleme in the centre of the park ?

Fixed that for you.

The last thing i need is to be correct by a moron like you.

He got MOTM is both games and especially against porto (where we won 3-2 as i presume you didn't see the game)was the best player on the park. Now who carried him ?

Or to pick another game from another random era England v Scotland at the wembely where we won 1-0 was widely acclaimed after the game to be once again the best player on the park while playing against beckham and scholes etc, who carried him in that game.

If you are going to say something really stupid you should be at least attempt to back it up......

The last thing i need is to be correct by a moron like you.

He got MOTM is both games and especially against porto (where we won 3-2 as i presume you didn't see the game)was the best player on the park. Now who carried him ?

Or to pick another game from another random era England v Scotland at the wembely where we won 1-0 was widely acclaimed after the game to be once again the best player on the park while playing against beckham and scholes etc, who carried him in that game.

If you are going to say something really stupid you should be at least attempt to back it up......

Oh hark at her.

Do you have links or scanned articles from a variety of sources to prove this sweetheart?

More avoidance of the issue, you would think any rangers fan would remember these games, of course you don't.......

There's only you avoiding the issue. Get off your high horse lady, you don't have any thirdy party evidence to support your opinion. In future I suggest you don't present your opinion as fact.

More avoidance of the issue, you would think any rangers fan would remember these games, of course you don't.......

There's only you avoiding the issue. Get off your high horse lady, you don't have any thirdy party evidence to support your opinion. In future I suggest you don't present your opinion as fact.

In this case it is fact though...

As I said earlier he did have good players around him in the Advocaat era but I will admit that on that night under Eck Ferguson took the game by the scruff of the neck and got us through

I suggest you don't say ridiculous things like Barry ferguson was carried by better players his whole career.... :lol:

P.S. i could keep on naming excellent performances and wait for you to name who carried him...how about the 2003 scottish cup final ...do you remember that game ? who carried him there.

Strange you can't seem to remember any of these games....isn't it.... :sherlock:

I suggest you don't say ridiculous things like Barry ferguson was carried by better players his whole career.... :lol:

P.S. i could keep on naming excellent performances and wait for you to name who carried him...how about the 2003 scottish cup final ...do you remember that game ? who carried him there.

Strange you can't seem to remember any of these games....isn't it.... :sherlock:

You are right Ferguson was not carried... however he did have the luxury of learning his trade next to some top professionals...

Before he left for Blackburn he was arguably the best midfielder in the UK...

Before he left for Blackburn he was arguably the best midfielder in the UK...

Take a deep breath now. Perhaps he was in the top 15 or 20 but he certainly wasn't in the top ten for the UK.

From being carried by someone to being in the top fifteen players in the UK....... :lol:

Would be interested to hear your top ten players from that era ?

For every excellent performance (and I'm the first to admit over his Rangers career there were about 15-20) I could quite easily point to average and poor performances.

Strange you can't seem to remember any of these games....isn't it....

I do remember plenty of poor games from fergie, especially in his last season with us but that wasn't what we were discussing. I am still waiting on you to elaborate who carried ferguson during his career. He learned his trade with excellent players like Gio, albertz and reyna but who carried him after that ?

Ferguson was an outstanding midfielder and you have said something very stupid about his career...just admit it and move on.....