Is Steven Davis a better player...

Before he left for Blackburn he was arguably the best midfielder in the UK...

Take a deep breath now. Perhaps he was in the top 15 or 20 but he certainly wasn't in the top ten for the UK.

From being carried by someone to being in the top fifteen players in the UK....... :lol:

Would be interested to hear your top ten players from that era ?

I tell you what I do remember, I remember Ferguson being bossed game in, game out by that donkey Lemmon. Still, it wasn't Barry's fault when he played his part in our worst ever losing run to that lot.

Barry's jobbies are pure 24K gold bytheway.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was the best midfielder in the UK at that time, he wouldn't have went to Blackburn.

Papa you surprise me a bit on this thread ….As someone who considers themselves as a bit of a scholar of the game i would have thought you would appreciate that technically Ferguson was an excellent footballer but you seem more keen to talk down his ability than talk it up…..Plenty of managerial giants certainly did it throughout his career so they must have seen something in him.

I’m not saying he was the best midfielder in the uk at any time but why be so negative about him all through this thread ?

If he was the best midfielder in the UK at that time, he wouldn't have went to Blackburn.

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that.

Barry was pure great even if Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Houllier, Benitez or any other EPL top four manager showed no interest in him. Christ, widen the field, Paul Dumbert was scouted by a German team, no-one from abroad made a bid for Barry the Great.

Like any other above average Scottish player he benefited from hype.

Before he left for Blackburn he was arguably the best midfielder in the UK...

Take a deep breath now. Perhaps he was in the top 15 or 20 but he certainly wasn't in the top ten for the UK.

From being carried by someone to being in the top fifteen players in the UK....... :lol:

Would be interested to hear your top ten players from that era ?

I tell you what I do remember, I remember Ferguson being bossed game in, game out by that donkey Lemmon. Still, it wasn't Barry's fault when he played his part in our worst ever losing run to that lot.

Barry's jobbies are pure 24K gold bytheway.

Do you have some sort of attention defect disorder as you don't seem to be able to stick to the topic we are discussing or answer any questions put to you.....?

I don’t want to be seen as picking on the afflicted so if you do I will quickly move on.

Papa you surprise me a bit on this thread ….As someone who considers themselves as a bit of a scholar of the game i would have thought you would appreciate that technically Ferguson was an excellent footballer but you seem more keen to talk down his ability than talk it up…..Plenty of managerial giants certainly did it throughout his career so they must have seen something in him.

I’m not saying he was the best midfielder in the uk at any time but why be so negative about him all through this thread ?

I appreciate his ability - Barry Ferguson was my idol when I was younger, before his injuries I felt he was a truly brilliant player.

I am simply responding the comment in the thread that said Ferguson was the best midfielder in the UK before his move to Blackburn, because that's not true.

Do you have some sort of attention defect disorder as you don't seem to be able to stick to the topic we are discussing or answer any questions put to you.....?

I don’t want to be seen as picking on the afflicted so if you do I will quickly move on.

Ahhhh, that famous debating style of yours, ignore the points that suit you then doggedly pursue someone on the points important to you. if all else fails imply or just state they're not a Rangers fan.

For every top performance Ferguson gave, I can easily point to games where he hid and cheated the Rangers support. Pick about 75% of his games against Celtic as an example of his cowardice. Anybody that makes Neil Lemmon look better than them isn't that great in my view. Hey but perhaps that slug Ferguson was doing his "pal Lenny" a favour.

Steven Davis is not a better player than Ferguson IMO

People that say Ferguson was in a team full of quality..

I'll use the arguement that was used with Boyd and McCoist, would Davis get into that team?

I dont want to be seen as picking on the afflicted so if you do I will quickly move on.

Ahhhh, that famous debating style of yours, ignore the points that suit you then doggedly pursue someone on the points important to you. if all else fails imply or just state they're not a Rangers fan.

For every top performance Ferguson gave, I can easily point to games where he hid and cheated the Rangers support. Pick about 75% of his games against Celtic as an example of his cowardice. Anybody that makes Neil Lemmon look better than them isn't that great in my view. Hey but perhaps that slug Ferguson was doing his "pal Lenny" a favour.

:lol:

Again the issue totally avoided.

I will be happy to discuss any game you want when you explain to me who carried barry ferguson throughout his career ?

"famous debating style" yeah expecting people to actually be able to back up the points they make, what a horrible swine i am......

p.s. the only person the words slug and coward should be aimed at here is you..... :sherlock:

I'll use the arguement that was used with Boyd and McCoist, would Davis get into that team?

Davis would be an able deputy to Reyna in that side.

Davis and Reyna are very, very alike actually....

I would say Reyna was a better player than davis....for now.....

Reyna was a terrific player.

He was often better than Ferguson as well, it should be said.

Probably our most underrated player of the last ten years.

Davis would be an able deputy to Reyna in that side.

Davis and Reyna are very, very alike actually....

The problem with me is that I can't remember much of that team, so can't remember how good or bad Reyna was.

I will be happy to discuss any game you want when you explain to me who carried barry ferguson throughout his career ?

I'm not sure you really need me to point out all the players in the DA set-up that carried Ferguson at the start of his career. Since that quality of player left Ferguson's performances took a massive downturn. There were games he played without those players where he played very well but for everyone of those top performance he'd have a few stinkers and a lot of average performances.

The leaping leprechaun came in and Ferguson spent three seasons being bossed by Lemmon. Ferguson then ran away to those giants of the English game, Blackburn Rovers. He came back and did very well (along with the big Greek) for a dozen games or so that helped us win the title in 2005. Perhaps I'm being harsh though, perhaps no-one carried Ferguson from August 2005 onwards and perhaps he put in mainly top class performances over the next four seasons.

So every rangers fan would know that Fergies best season was the treble season (the same season sellck got to seville iof that is a reference point for you).....which of advocatts players carried him through that ?

P.S. i have a spare spade if you would like me to send you it to assist with your digging......

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that.

Barry was pure great even if Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Houllier, Benitez or any other EPL top four manager showed no interest in him. Christ, widen the field, Paul Dumbert was scouted by a German team, no-one from abroad made a bid for Barry the Great.

Like any other above average Scottish player he benefited from hype.

I'm on my iPhone so there is no chance that i'm going looking for quotes but both Arsenal & Liverpool (under Houllier & Benitez) had an interest in Ferguson at some point.

I think it's also worth noting that Blackburn were an improving side who finished 6th the season before he signed for them. They weren't the relegation fodder that some people potray them as.

So every rangers fan would know that Fergies best season was the treble season (the same season sellck got to seville iof that is a reference point for you).....which of advocatts players carried him through that ?

P.S. i have a spare spade if you would like me to send you it to assist with your digging......

For my money De Boer was our top performer that year. He did it in areas where it hurt. Ferguson had a good season and that was the last time he was surrounded by a number of very good performers. You're probably unfamiliar with that squad but it included Klos, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Arteta, De Boer, Caniggia, McCann, Arveladze, Mols, Lovenkrands and Ricksen.

Again you imply that I'm an Earl Haig. You never ever responded to my PMs when I first started posting offering to meet up pre or post match. It's not just Barry that is a slug and a coward.

I'm on my iPhone so there is no chance that i'm going looking for quotes but both Arsenal & Liverpool (under Houllier & Benitez) had an interest in Ferguson at some point.

I think it's also worth noting that Blackburn were an improving side who finished 6th the season before he signed for them. They weren't the relegation fodder that some people potray them as.

I must've missed the actual bids. Just like I've missed the bids of £10M for the lego eater, £10M Fat Boruc and £15M for wee Aids ridden.

I'd also add that Wenger said at the time there is only one player in Scotland he'd be interested in. He subsequently signed Gio.

For my money De Boer was our top performer that year. He did it in areas where it hurt. Ferguson had a good season and that was the last time he was surrounded by a number of very good performers. You're probably unfamiliar with that squad but it included Klos, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Arteta, De Boer, Caniggia, McCann, Arveladze, Mols, Lovenkrands and Ricksen.

Again you imply that I'm an Earl Haig. You never ever responded to my PMs when I first started posting offering to meet up pre or post match. It's not just Barry that is a slug and a coward.

It’s hilarious you can’t admit that Fergie was the best player in the country that year, he won rangers player of the year, Scottish writers player of the year and SPFA player of the year but i am sure you are right and everyone else is wrong…. :lol:

P.S. who is carrying him this season…lee bowyer :lol:

This is a bastard of a question!

Davis is a fantastic player, unreal technical ability, great pace and stamina, people saying he's inconsistant must not be watching us this season, he's been one of our most consistant performers. His natural position is CM but plays out RM, and still does a great job. But is he better than Fergie was in his prime? No, not for me but Ferguson was a class act, noticed by every top European manager we came up against

It’s hilarious you can’t admit that Fergie was the best player in the country that year, he won rangers player of the year, Scottish writers player of the year and SPFA player of the year but i am sure you are right and everyone else is wrong…. :lol:

P.S. who is carrying him this season…lee bowyer :lol:

You've distorted things somewhat (like you do).

How many Birmingham City games have you seen this season?

I'm on my iPhone so there is no chance that i'm going Llooking for quotes but both Arsenal & Liverpool (under Houllier & Benitez) had an interest in Ferguson at some point.

I must've missed the actual bids. Just like I've missed the bids of £10M for the lego eater, £10M Fat Boruc and £15M for wee Aids ridden.

I'd also add that Wenger said at the time there is only one player in Scotland he'd be interested in. He subsequently signed Gio.

Holding an interet in a player is completely different to bidding for them for them so, baring that in mind, If you can point out where I actually said that there were bids placed i'd happily admit that I'm wrong.

As for your comments about the multiple million pound bids placed for Brown, McGeady or Boruc I couldn't care less about them or there players. Afterall I am a Rangers fan posting on a Rangers forum.

There is no doubt that the Barry Ferguson from 1998-2003 was an exceptional talent who was capable of controlling most games and he was dominating games in Europe and payers who had much more experience and know how at that time (Lothar Matthaus and Dino Baggio for example)

But you have to remember that he suffered plenty of serious injuries and went through a number of operations. He was never going to come out the same player tbh. That 2002/03 treble winning season he was untouchable and he was head and shoulders the best player in the league.

Is Steven Davis better? At the age of 25 Barry Ferguson was probably better than Davis but as long as Davis can stay fit and stay with us for a few more years he could well be considered up there with Ferguson. IMO Davis is more of an all round player.