The best foreign player in the EPL?

Boab

Listening to talksport on the way to M&S yesterday, and it seems it was said on Monday night at an awards ceremony that Eric Cantona was the best foreign player to grace the EPL. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1265621/Eric-Cantona-picks-award-Sir-Alex-Ferguson--PICTURE-SPECIAL.html

So, these questions.

Is Eric Cantona the best foreign player to play in the EPL, if not then who?

2nd question; is there credance to say that Cantona - regardless of whether he was the best or not - did he lead the way for quality foreigners to arrive in England/UK?

For me, Dennis Bergkamp was the best player and continues to be the best from a foreign country and not Cantona. A quite wonderful footballer.

There's only one name that came right in to my head when i read this post. For me the best foreigh player to play in the EPL is Thierry Henry. When he arrived at Arsenal from Juventus he was almost an unknown, he was playing left wing for Juventus and had played a handful of games for france as a left winger. Wenger brought him in and turned him in to the greatest goal scorer in Arsenal's history and in all under ten years.

i agree with your sentiments Boab but im a biased Arsenal follower :D

At least you're open about it unlike our Keith when's commenting on almost anything :D

For me personally it would have to be Bergkamp without a shadow of a doubt, though just pipping Henry to the honour.Imagine having the luxury of having two supremely gifted players with totally different styles playing in the same team.

Henry was a goalscorer supreme as his record at Arsenal attests as he seemingly scored for fun and without much effort against some of the best defenders in the game and did it year after year.

Bergkamp however was one of the most versatile and brilliant footballers I have ever had the pleasure of seeing because the guy could do it all with a style that made Football look as easy as tying your shoelaces.

I'll NEVER forget the Hat trick he scored in 1997 (I think) against Leicester City...3 of the best goals you would ever see in your life.

Smooth as silk but as hard as nails.Bergkamp for me.

For the only player that has won "world player of the year" when playing in the EPL, Ronaldo isn't getting the due praise and respect he deserves, IMO he is the best ever foreigner to grace the EPL.

If were going for a top 3...

1, Ronaldo

2, Henry

3, Zola

For the only player that has won "world player of the year" when playing in the EPL, Ronaldo isn't getting the due praise and respect he deserves, IMO he is the best ever foreigner to grace the EPL.

If were going for a top 3...

1, Ronaldo

2, Henry

3, Zola

Depends if you include longevity and consistency. He was awful for the first few seasons, had a good year, then two amazing seasons and left.

In terms of pure ability I would probably agree, although you can't forget the class of Zola, Cantona, Henry, Berkamp.....

Overall, I would still say Henry cos he was top scorer season after season.