Coisty speaks highly of Stevie Smith while Stevie talks of moving on

Boab

By Andrew Dickson

Ally McCoist has described Steven Smith as one of the best professionals he has ever worked with as the defender weighs up his options for the future.

The full-back has admitted he is likely to move on from Rangers in the summer due to a lack of regular first-team action over the past three and a half years.

Hearts have been credited with an interest in Smith, 25 today, while the player himself could well be tempted by a move to England.

Wherever he ends up, McCoist is adamant Smith's employers next term will have a winner on their hands.

He said: "I would have to tell you Stevie is one of the best pros I have ever worked with and he gives you the same every day.

"I felt sorry for him when we came here initially because he had an injury that nobody could really diagnose.

"Nobody should underestimate the input he has had in that dressing room and him and Andrius Velicka were two of the players at the forefront of us winning the title last year.

"They were fantastic. Of course Stevie wants to play more games but regardless of that, he has always knuckled down and come in with his working head on.

"He has never moaned or argued apart from at some of our decisions in training, but then that's something I quite like about him.

"Stevie is a smashing lad and a winner and he has been a big character in our squad. He deserves enormous credit.

"There's no doubt Stevie can go and achieve first-team football wherever he wants to. I don't know what his situation is but I'd be very disappointed to see him leave.

"If he does go, he'll move on with the best wishes of everyone here because he has been a proper Rangers player."

Stevie Smith is honest enough to predict that he will be among the summer departures from Ibrox in the coming months.

But the full back wants to leave the club he loves on a high, by finishing with enough appearances to earn him a championship winner's medal.

Smith is just one appearance short of the required number and he looks odds on to get that run out tomorrow at Tannadice.

Sasa Papac is suspended for two matches so it seems Smith will have the chance to finish his Light Blues career in front of the Gers fans.

He said: "It looks like I'm going to be moving on but I'm still working hard and hopefully I can get another couple of appearances under my belt before the season finishes.

"I'm just going to concentrate on finishing the season strongly here and I'll make a decision on my future in the summer.

"It looks like I will be moving on but I've been fortunate enough to have eight great years here as a full time professional.

"It will be difficult to leave but all good things come to an end and it looks like that will be the case for me.

"I've been here for a long time now and I've got a lot of great memories and met a lot of good people but it's just time to move on."

Smith should leave with another winner's badge and he admits that while his appearances have been restricted by the form of Sasa Papac, he feels he has made a real contribution to the Light Blues' success this season.

He said: "I think I have played my part. I remember coming on at half time at Tynecastle when we were 1-0 down and down to ten men and I feel I helped us to win that game.

"The Old Firm game at the start of the season is another one. If Celtic had won they would have opened a bit of a gap but we beat them 2-1.

"I played in that one as well, so I don't feel I've been a big part of it but to play a part is a pleasure for me.

"When you grow up here you grow up wanting to be a Rangers player and I grew up wanting to win things with the club.

"Everybody here is the same and we all want to play every game whether the league is won already or not.

"I think that's why we've had the success that we have over the past few seasons."

As his time at Ibrox seemingly draws to a close Smith says there are no regrets over the way his Rangers career has gone, despite the injury that robbed him of his place just as he was establishing himself in the first team.

He added: "Injuries happen in football but I was just unfortunate that I got a really bad one that kept me out for a long time. I believe in that time that I became a better person and also a better player.

"It's maybe just the case that I need nine or ten games on the bounce to show people that. I've not had that here and that's been the most difficult thing, so moving on is probably the best thing for both parties.

"Wherever I go they will get a player who is hungry to succeed but I think anywhere you go from here is a step back because you are winning things regularly and I've been lucky enough to play Champions League football as well.

"You aren't going to get that unless you go to a top four side in England. So it's a very difficult club to leave but I'm going to have to do that."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100430/out-on-a-high_2254024_2039801

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100430/one-of-the-best_2254024_2040060

A shame Stevie never reached the heights he might have.

Pre-injuries; decent overall player. Good attacking fullback who lacked pace, positional sense, his final ball, and distribution was a hit or a miss, and he was an average at best defender.

Unfortunatley for him, injuries ruined his career at Rangers, and they have taken their toll. Best for everyone involved that he is moved on!

he got alot of praise when he first came into the team. shame he picked up that injury and just never got back in

before the injury i thought he was as good if not better than hutton!!

He had the potential to be a left-sided Hutton shame his injury seemed to curb his attacking instincts I also think he lost some aggression due to his injury shame really he could have been another Murray Park success

I hope the young fella gets a move to a club where he will play regularly and be happy where he ends up.Maybe not the greatest player to have played for Rangers but at least he lived the dream and won medals for his boyhood heroes.

I think he will do well wherever he goes. I always liked Smith he was very unlucky with injuries. Different circumstances and he could have been a really good player for us. Good luck to him.

IT'S been his home and all he's known.

But Stevie Smith insists it's time to leave his beloved Rangers behind.

After a soul-searching season the full-back has confirmed he will quit Ibrox in the summer.

An emotional, heart-breaking decision he hasn't taken lightly.

But one he insists he had to make as he bids to kick-start his career.

Smith said: "It's strange to think I'm not going to be here next year. I've grown up at Rangers. For the last eight or nine years, I have driven through the gates at Murray Park every morning.

"It will be a new feeling not to do that, but it has come to the point where it is best for both parties that I move on. That looks like what is going to happen.

"It's not just about leaving the players, but the staff too.

"I've grown up with them and a lot have been here as long as me. That might be the most difficult thing, not seeing them every day.

"When I first broke through, I thought I'd be here for the rest of my career. That's all I ever wanted to do - play for Rangers.

"But all good things come to an end."

Smith, who turned 25 yesterday, has no idea where he'll be playing next season, but reckons he'll head for the Championship.

He revealed: "I don't have anything lined up yet.

"I'm just hoping to get another few appearances under my belt before I decide what I'm going to do.

"Everywhere you go from here is a step back, but it's a very tough league in the Championship. That's where I think I should be looking to go.

"I don't think there is a good time to leave Rangers, money-wise or playing-wise. But there comes a point in your career when you have to make a difficult decision and this has been difficult.

"I've known for the last number of months that this was going to be my last year here, so I gradually grew with the idea.

"It's a shame it's come to an end."

Smith has seen his old Ibrox pals Charlie Adam, Ross McCormack and Chris Burke take the English Championship by storm.

And he feels his desire and will to win will stand him in good stead as he prepares to bid Ibrox farewell.

Smith stressed: "Sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward again.

"The majority of places you could go from Rangers will be a step back.

"But it's about how you deal with that.

"Charlie, Chris and Ross are examples of people who left here and did really well.

"I think that's because when you grow up at this club you are taught to be a winner.

"I spoke to Chris after Cardiff lost 6-0 in one game and he couldn't believe that people were wandering about as if that was okay.

"People might have been having a laugh and a joke, but that's not what you get taught here.

"Losing 1-0 is bad, losing 6-0 would be the end of the world. That's one of the things you take away from here - you always want to be a winner.

"I think that should stand me in good stead wherever I end up.

"I believe I'm a good player and that I could do a job for someone. But it's up to me.

"When I leave here, I have to keep working as hard as I have done.

"If I do that, the rewards will come."

Smith will put himself in the shop window today at Tannadice.

The talented defender will also feature in the final Old Firm clash of the season with Sasa Papac suspended.

Two massive matches in which Smith is hoping to catch the eye.

He said: "I missed a lot of football through injury and you get greedy when you come back after that. I wanted to play.

"Before, when I was fit I was playing - or at least in the squad. But when I came back I wasn't in squads and I was struggling.

"I wanted to play every week, but it didn't work out that way. I went through a period when things weren't going for me in training, but if you work hard you get through the other side. I feel as if I've done that.

"A lot of people say if I hadn't been injured I could have been this or that.

"But everything happens for a reason and I believe I'm a better person now for having the injury."

Smith admits he felt like an outsider looking in as Rangers toasted two in a row last weekend.

He said: "I wasn't into all the stuff going out onto the pitch and so on.

"I didn't feel as if I should have been up at the front or anything, so I just took a back seat.

"But I was as happy as anyone else to get the title won because it was another great achievement for us."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz0mfnzKjFx