Rafa Benitez appointed Inter Milan manager

Muff

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti says the deal to bring Rafael Benitez to the San Siro is 'more or less done'.

Benitez left his managerial post at Liverpool by mutual consent last Thursday and has since held talks with the Italian giants, who are searching for Jose Mourinho's successor.

And Moratti believes the 50-year-old is likely to be appointed manager at the Nerazzurri in the next 24 hours.

When asked if Benitez could be named as Inter boss on Tuesday, Moratti replied: "Yes, I really think so.

"The deal is more or less done.

"It's not sealed yet because you don't sign something before hearing what you're signing, but we decisively targeted Benitez from the beginning and he is the person we consider most useful for the continuity of Inter at the same level."

Off track

Reports in Italy have suggested Benitez will pen a three-year deal worth €5million (£3.5m) per season, but Moratti has dismissed that speculation.

"Who wrote that is off the track," he added. "For the duration and the amount.

"We talked about everything but the transfer market. And the numbers of assistants that I read in the papers are also fortunately wrong.

"I read frightening numbers but in reality they will be numbers which belong to the norm of other coaches we have contracted in the past."

Benitez appears set to take his Anfield assistant Mauricio Pellegrino, goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero and fitness coach Paco de Miguel with him, with Italian Amedeo Carboni - who played under Benitez as a midfielder at Valencia - also likely to be added to his backroom staff.

Benitez had been linked with a move to Juventus, however the Old Lady moved to appoint former Sampdoria boss Luigi del Neri before he had left Liverpool.

Scudetto, Coppa Italia and Champions League winners, he has a lot to live up to!

You could argue it would be impossible for Inter to make a step up. Mourinho was the first manager in Italian football history to win the treble(I think?).

I think Benitez will do a decent job, but I think Milan and Juventus will be a lot closer next season.

the only way is down after the Special One

bluenose AC Milan are a shambles, it will be Roma challenging again next season, on paper so should Juve, but AC Milan have been going downhill for years :wink:

Milan's problem has been they have refused to change their philosophies. Replacing Ancelotti with someone already at the club was a mistake. They are in dire need of change and fresh ideas.

IF Allegri can bring this, then Milan should hopefully challenge next season. Lets not forget that Milan were very much in the title race up until a month or so before the end of the season.

Apparently Allegri has already outlined which players he'd like to buy and has told Galliani/Berlusconi not to sell Flamini as he could become an important player, which is great news. I have always liked Flamini but he never got a chance under Leonardo.

I don't rate him as a manager, but he'll do a good job with Inter. He worked wonders at Valencia, as the side had a good core of players. Liverpool had an aging side that needed new life soon, something that Benitez did but not very well. At Inter (like Valencia) he's inherited a good side, therefore I can't see him doing a bad job. Plus he's unlikely to be given the money to buy a wealth of talent such as Dossena and Aurelio :pipe: due to his transfer record at Liverpool.

I think MisterC said his pragmatic approach to football will suit Italian football perfectly, nail head :sherlock:

Good managers don't persist with shite like Lucas in the wrong position, nor do they spend £20m on injured players.

I think he's an average manager who plays shite football. I don't think the Serie A is as defensive as people still think either, I saw some absolutely brilliant games last year that were hell for leather for 90 minutes.

Inter will probably still win the league by default as they have for the past three years, but the value bet is on Fiorentina or Roma.

I'm not too sure how he'll get on at Inter. It depends on who he brings in, and what tactics he adopts!?

He'll need to hit the ground running, because if he doesn't, he'll be under pressure, and he's not the best at dealing with that - it will also be interesting to see how he handles the Italian media!?

I presume they see him as a "get the defence right and build from there" coach in the same way as Jose can be. I don't think as man managers though they are remotely similar. I don't think Rafa engages the loyalty of players in the same way Jose does nor does he seem to build that special bond that players always seem to have with Jose. Be interesting if those players like Eto and others are able to play with the same passion for Rafa.

Mascherano makes sense I suppose. It would enable Zanetti to stay at full back instead of being pulled into deep midfield roles, and they do have plenty of other Argentine players there. I would have thought if they get their money back (£18m?) Liverpool will snap their hands off.

Honestly, if he engages the players personally and doesn't let his pride make him make too many changes, this is a very good side that only needs guidance to keep it chugging along very well both domestically and in Europe. But will his pride allow him not to tinker too much with it?