Jordan McMillan may quit the Gers

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At who's expense ?

At certain times he could easily have come in for any of McCulloch, Thomson, Edu, Whittaker or Broadfoot.

Nobody is suggesting that he should be thrown into an Old Firm game or a mid day kick off at Pittodrie in December, but there are plenty of games that we comfortably win where the afore mentioned players can use their experience to talk him through the game and keep him right.

Even a substitute apperance would help him, After all when we are 3-0 up after 60 minutes against the Falkirk's of the world there is very little chance of him being so bad that we throw that sort of lead away.

At who's expense ?

At certain times he could easily have come in for any of McCulloch, Thomson, Edu, Whittaker or Broadfoot.

Nobody is suggesting that he should be thrown into an Old Firm game or a mid day kick off at Pittodrie in December, but there are plenty of games that we comfortably win where the afore mentioned players can use their experience to talk him through the game and keep him right.

Even a substitute apperance would help him, After all when we are 3-0 up after 60 minutes against the Falkirk's of the world there is very little chance of him being so bad that we throw that sort of lead away.

Yeah, the Hamilton, Falkirk, Kilmarnock's at home and if they do well then a slightly tougher away fixture.

Games when we still had a league to win that would save our club being downsized we should have been blooding u21's at the expense of better established players.

Don't know what to say to that to be honest..... wacko.gif

I'm hardly saying we should be making five or six changes every time we play.

I'm saying giving one or two a chance to make ten-fifteen apperances over the course of a season to see if they are capable of becoming long term fixtures or even if they could aid a small squad that was looking leggy and tired towards the end of the campaign isn't going to hurt is it?

If we aren't willing to do that, then we should just scrap our youth set up as it would save the club a fortune.

And i am saying over the last two years we had one priority and that was to win the league not to blood never going to be's....

Wilson and fleck have been given the chances you ask for , the rest have been chaff who were never going to make it ....i would call it good judgement myself but each to there own.

We need to try with the youth set up but we are up against massively, to be honest to produce a hutton, wilson or fleck once every few years is doing pretty well as history goes.....

And i am saying over the last two years we had one priority and that was to win the league not to blood never going to be's....

Wilson and fleck have been given the chances you ask for , the rest have been chaff who were never going to make it ....i would call it good judgement myself but each to there own.

We need to try with the youth set up but we are up against massively, to be honest to produce a hutton, wilson or fleck once every few years is doing pretty well as history goes.....

We've been using the excuse of having to win the league for decades now as the reason for not playing our youth players more often.There were plenty of times last season where Smith could have used the youth players including League Cup games but chose not to.Routing teams during the Christmas period was a perfect chance to play the likes of McMillan but only Smith can say why he didn't.

When he did play a 2nd team at dundee utd in the cup and we lost he got slaughtered on here. Our fans pretend they want these things but don't have the patience to accept the bad results that could come with this strategy.

When we were beating teams at christmas that was a good time to change things <cr> . Another management 101 masterclass from rangers media......

Games when we still had a league to win that would save our club being downsized we should have been blooding u21's at the expense of better established players.

Don't know what to say to that to be honest..... <cr>

I must have missed the rule that said playing one or two youngsters automatically equals defeat.

I must have missed the rule that said playing one or two youngsters automatically equals defeat.

You are questioning Smith's judgement. That cannot be tolerated.

Yes,if only we played in a non competive league like La Liga or the EPL or most european leagues <cr>

Yes,if only we played in a non competive league like La Liga or the EPL or most european leagues <cr>

Where no youngsters are ever giving a chance <cr>

Barca, Man Utd, Arsenal etc etc have all done it...

At who's expense ?

We make this point all the time... and the management team rarely do this... 2-0 up against Dundee UTD away AFTER we had won the league, cruising and Bendisken is on the bench, warming up, for what? Nothing :( I worry for some of our young lads

would 30minutes against a team that has chucked it, in a dead game actually help though?

rangers players are under intense scrutiny and pressure every single game, even more so in recent years with the financial situation the club is in

as GCL says we cant afford to test our young players unless absolute dire circumstances, especially ones that most likely arent standing out in reserve matches/first team training

its alright for us on a forum to sit and say "why arent these guys getting a chance"

who's to say they dont train with the first team during the week and dont show anything better than what we have, or playing reserve games they are mince

the same issue was brought up with aaron when he was here, yet there was a fair few people posted that they'd seen/heard of him being garbage in the reserves, its alright him looking good when brought on against hamilton and were 4-1 up at ibrox, but not start games that are difficult venues/difficult opponents

mcmillan is 21 and hasnt impressed 3 successive rangers managers enough to get a game for the first team on a reg basis, surely that tells us something

Meh, I can't even see the argument.

I actually liken the situation to that of any club under Jose Mourinho. At both Chelsea and Inter, the youth systems have barely produced a thing under The Special One.

The same thing has happened here. We're too scared to give youth a chance, Danny Wilson only got his because it was last a chance saloon option. The manager will always prefer a more experienced player, a favourite or a player that they paid hard cash for over a youngster, even if they youngster in question is slightly more talented. In this case, from what I've seen, McMillan is a better footballer than say Broadfoot, but he's maybe not as physically strong or as consistent.

There's no point in denying it or deflecting from it. As I've said, it's one of the few things I don't like about the current management set up, but if it wasn't for the cheating scum in the SPL, we'd be sitting on Three In A Row just now, so who can argue?

I actually liken the situation to that of any club under Jose Mourinho. At both Chelsea and Inter, the youth systems have barely produced a thing under The Special One.

The same thing has happened here. We're too scared to give youth a chance, Danny Wilson only got his because it was last a chance saloon option. The manager will always prefer a more experienced player, a favourite or a player that they paid hard cash for over a youngster, even if they youngster in question is slightly more talented. In this case, from what I've seen, McMillan is a better footballer than say Broadfoot, but he's maybe not as physically strong or as consistent.

There's no point in denying it or deflecting from it. As I've said, it's one of the few things I don't like about the current management set up, but if it wasn't for the cheating scum in the SPL, we'd be sitting on Three In A Row just now, so who can argue?

thats an interesting point papa, some would maybe say that to be a better footballer you would have to be consistent and physically strong

thats an interesting point papa, some would maybe say that to be a better footballer you would have to be consistent and physically strong

Sadly, the emphasis coaches place on strength, fitness and consistency in the SPL means that smaller, more talented players don't ever really get a look in.

People who know 1000000000000000000000000000000 times more about football than me have said that they don't think Xavi, Messi or Iniesta would have made it through the first three stages of the Scottish 'youth' system due to the nature of the league and perhaps that's why the 5'9 and 11 stone McMillan hasn't had great success compared to the 6'3 and 13.5 stone Broadfoot.

Sadly, the emphasis coaches place on strength, fitness and consistency in the SPL means that smaller, more talented players don't ever really get a look in.

People who know 1000000000000000000000000000000 times more about football than me have said that they don't think Xavi, Messi or Iniesta would have made it through the first three stages of the Scottish 'youth' system due to the nature of the league and perhaps that's why the 5'9 and 11 stone McMillan hasn't had great success compared to the 6'3 and 13.5 stone Broadfoot.

james mccarthy wasnt the biggest, same with a few nippy bastards in the SPL, i would think it has more to do with mentality,

as i said, maybe mcmillan hasnt shown enough over the years at rangers, that is 3 rangers managers that have overlooked him, especially for players like little and lowing

To be fair, if it wasn't for our financial situation, we'd have overlooked the Premiership target that is Danny Wilson as well.

McMillan is unfortunate that we have two right backs and four central midfielders I suppose.

To be fair, if it wasn't for our financial situation, we'd have overlooked the Premiership target that is Danny Wilson as well.

McMillan is unfortunate that we have two right backs and four central midfielders I suppose.

doesnt help him anyway

especially as in the last 2 years we have had a storming defence

theres yer problem right there, the boss and his ways

that is also true, Sir Walter has brought us the trophies, relying on experience

Yep he was overlooked all the way to the 1st team squad at 16 when we hardly lacked centre halves.... :rolleyes:

Yep he was overlooked all the way to the 1st team squad at 16 when we hardly lacked centre halves.... :rolleyes:

McCoist said two days ago that Wilson wouldn't have had the chance if our financial situation had been better and allowed us to bring in new players, it's not my claim.