5 years since our last 'Young player of the Month' award

cam69r

Now this is according to Wikipedia, but i think it is accurate. Steve Smith won the last award for Rangers at the very end of the 05-06 season. Before that was Stephen Hughes in 03-04.

I think this tells volumes about the lack of opportunity our youngsters are given at Rangers. The talent to win these awards is undoubtedly there but they just don't get enough minutes on the pitch to stand any chance of the award.

Weiss seems like a genuine candidate but with him being played out of position it seems like this drought may continue for some time longer.

I thought that but apparently not. I can't find any more reliable a source than Wikipedia. SPL website is horrific.

EDIT: I just typed 'Danny Wilson, young player of month' into google and nothing came up. Same with John Fleck. Looks like neither has won it.

I really don't think it matters one iota, irrespective of what people think the majority of those who do start for us are still fairly young, not young enough for young players, but fairly young never the less.

Our priority is to win matches and win trophies and yes I would love to see a 19 year old playing week in week out but it isn't going to happen, it's a lot easier for other clubs to be playing young players but that's because there is less expectation on them and they don't have fans getting on their backs as often as some of our support have a habit of doing.

2009–10 season

See also: Scottish Premier League 2009–10

August

Ross Forbes[27]

Motherwell

September

Craig Thomson[29]

Heart of Midlothian

October

Lukas Jutkiewicz[30]

Motherwell

November

Peter Pawlett[33]

Aberdeen

December

Anthony Stokes[35]

Hibernian

January

Fraser Fyvie[38]

Aberdeen

February

Chris Maguire[41]

Kilmarnock

March

Ryan Flynn

Falkirk

April

Graham Carey

St. Mirren

Daniel "Danny" Wilson (born 27 December 1991 Born in Livingston) is a Scottish football defender who plays for Premier League side Liverpool.

Wilson made his professional debut for Rangers in October 2009 and nine days later became the youngest player from Rangers and Scotland to play in the UEFA Champions League. His honours include a Scottish Premier League title, a Scottish Cup win, a Scottish League Cup win, and being crowned the 2010 Scottish FWA Young Player of the Year and 2010 Scottish PFA Young Player of the Year.

Says more about the people running our game in this country than our own club if im honest.

Why?

Other than Danny Wilson, what other youngsters of note have we brought through that's shone?

I don't even think Fleck has lived upto any hype yet and as someone else already said - Hutton looked average when he burst on the scene.

I'm struggling to think?

Why?

Other than Danny Wilson, what other youngsters of note have we brought through that's shone?

I don't even think Fleck has lived upto any hype yet and as someone else already said - Hutton looked average when he burst on the scene.

I'm struggling to think?

I honestly think i remember seeing Wilson standing with a POTM trophy, im sure i did. Anyway, we have had some decent younger players, we must have had, off the top i cant remember but if i have a think about it and maybe do a wee look, i will find some.

Now this is according to Wikipedia, but i think it is accurate. Steve Smith won the last award for Rangers at the very end of the 05-06 season. Before that was Stephen Hughes in 03-04.

I think this tells volumes about the lack of opportunity our youngsters are given at Rangers. The talent to win these awards is undoubtedly there but they just don't get enough minutes on the pitch to stand any chance of the award.

Weiss seems like a genuine candidate but with him being played out of position it seems like this drought may continue for some time longer.

says more about scottish football than rangers.

i bet all sorts of fenian shite have won this award in that time.