Penalty Kicks

Ozblue

I apologise if this question has been raised before, but I think it's one worthy of discussion seeing as how scoring or missing a penalty could be the difference between us winning a game or dropping points, which in effect mean being champions or not.

This all came about as I was sitting watching the live game against Aberdeen at the ungodly hour of 2.00am kick-off ( You guys are fucking spoilt rotten, you know)

Anyway, when Whittaker went down in the box and Kenny placed the ball on the spot, I said to my wife; "If Langfield has done his homework here,he will dive to his left and save this fucking thing!"...Sure as shit, Kenny put it to Langfield's left and it was saved.

The wife asked me how I knew that was going to happen, so I explained that I had saw Kenny take three penalties this year and they all went to the keepers left.

He missed against Blackburn Rovers in Sydney when he battered it to the left of Paul Robinson and it smacked the woodwork...He put it to the left of squiddly diddly against the scum at the piggery and it sneaked in off the post ( Now that was either fucking brilliant or dead jaggy) and now he put it exactly same side against the sheepies.

Keepers do their homework these days about penalty takers to see if they keep to a set pattern, so what i'm asking is this: Should Kenny Miller, as our recognised goalscorer this year continue taking our (rare) penalty kicks...or should we designate somebody else to share the duties with him?

Thoughts on this guys... solely on whether you think Kenny is the man to take them on his ability as a scorer, not on whether you personally like him or dislike him as a person.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy for him to carry on as our penalty taker. One miss is nothing.

Coisty would regularly miss 2/3 sitters before hitting the net for us & look at his scoring record. (granted this isn't an example of penalty taking, but you get my point)

I apologise if this question has been raised before, but I think it's one worthy of discussion seeing as how scoring or missing a penalty could be the difference between us winning a game or dropping points, which in effect mean being champions or not.

This all came about as I was sitting watching the live game against Aberdeen at the ungodly hour of 2.00am kick-off ( You guys are fucking spoilt rotten, you know)

Anyway, when Whittaker went down in the box and Kenny placed the ball on the spot, I said to my wife; "If Langfield has done his homework here,he will dive to his left and save this fucking thing!"...Sure as shit, Kenny put it to Langfield's left and it was saved.

The wife asked me how I knew that was going to happen, so I explained that I had saw Kenny take three penalties this year and they all went to the keepers left.

He missed against Blackburn Rovers in Sydney when he battered it to the left of Paul Robinson and it smacked the woodwork...He put it to the left of squiddly diddly against the scum at the piggery and it sneaked in off the post ( Now that was either fucking brilliant or dead jaggy) and now he put it exactly same side against the sheepies.

Keepers do their homework these days about penalty takers to see if they keep to a set pattern, so what i'm asking is this: Should Kenny Miller, as our recognised goalscorer this year continue taking our (rare) penalty kicks...or should we designate somebody else to share the duties with him?

Thoughts on this guys... solely on whether you think Kenny is the man to take them on his ability as a scorer, not on whether you personally like him or dislike him as a person.

I realy didnt have a problem with miler hitting them but now i would give to someone else , not through any dislike of miller or without questioning his ability . I just always believed your the penalty taker till you miss then pass it on . Naismith or davis for me now

Coisty would regularly miss 2/3 sitters before hitting the net for us & look at his scoring record. (granted this isn't an example of penalty taking, but you get my point)

I know what you mean but the problem is that if Coisty missed a couple of sitters. he knew he would get a lot more chances to bulge the net...We don't get too many penalties normally and whilst yesterdays didn't matter as far as the win went, we have to bury these when we get them if possible.

Thanks for your thoughts (tu)

i cant think of him missing one minus yesterday, im sure in training he maybe bangs them in, i think free kicks are more of an issue and maybe needs brought to the fore before penalties, plus he is our main man up front and goals breeds confidence and a confident kenny can do wonders

i cant think of him missing one minus yesterday, im sure in training he maybe bangs them in, i think free kicks are more of an issue and maybe needs brought to the fore before penalties, plus he is our main man up front and goals breeds confidence and a confident kenny can do wonders

Free kicks? :anguish: I can NOT believe footballers who are getting paid something like 20,000 quid a week can't hit a fucking dead ball somewhere other than row Z or into a wall 10 yards away.

i prefer the old hammer it down the middle penalty as even if keeper gets hand to it most times it will still go in

I agree entirely, fishtank... there's not too many keepers who don't go one way or the other these days. the problem with Kenny is that he is hitting them all to the same side and I'm positive that Langfield knew this yesterday.

You are right; completely different argument from penalty taking.

Ozblue is correct in suggesting that he knew where Miller was going to place the kick going on what he had seen.I knew where he was going to try to place it because of his run up and the way he leant his body as against Celtic and I am not and never have been a professional keeper.As OzBlue said; keepers do their homework and study takers techniques.

He wouldn't be my choice, he opens up his body too much and makes it obvious where he's hitting it, but i don't know who id pick, maybe Beattie if he was playing

Beattie wouldn't be a bad option if he was playing....as a thought; I wonder if jelavic is a penalty taker of any note? Can't say I've seen him take one before.

I realy didnt have a problem with miler hitting them but now i would give to someone else , not through any dislike of miller or without questioning his ability . I just always believed your the penalty taker till you miss then pass it on . Naismith or davis for me now

I take it you don't remember his penalty against Unirea. Possibly the worse penalty I've ever witnessed being taken.

Why those 2 ?

One miss is nothing, keep going kenny.

Can't read much into going the same way, can end up with the keeper 2nd guessing that he'll do something different. Just needs to make sure it's right in the corner next time whichever side he goes. When you miss 2 then it's time to change as the confidence goes

These are two that I would never have as penalty takers on past history.I don't think Whittaker or Papac have missed a penalty in any of our shoot outs in the past 4 seasons and I think these two and Miller are the only options in our available squad.