Smith Rules Out Boyd

derekweir29

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/223189-smith-rules-out-rangers-move-for-boyd/

Rangers will not be moving to take Kris Boyd back to Ibrox, Walter Smith has said. The club had been linked with their former striker, who moved to Middlesbrough last summer but is thought to be free to leave the Riverside Stadium.

Boyd became the Scottish Premier League's all-time top goalscorer during his time at Ibrox but left under freedom of contract when Rangers failed to match his wage demands. A move to the English Championship has not worked out and there had been suggestions that he wuold be an ideal replacement for Kenny Miller, who left Rangers for Bursaspor last week.

"It's a simple one," Smith said at his press conference on Tuesday. "We couldn't afford wages Boro were offering, we still can't now."

The Rangers manager is looking to add to his squad during the January transfer window but has admitted that he is finding it difficult to identify targets while working to a tight budget.

Rangers attacker Steven Naismith had said that he believed former team-mate Boyd would be a hit if he returned for a second spell in light blue. “If Boydy came back he'd do his usual and score goals,” he said . “But a lot of stuff's happened since he moved on.

“Whether the club want him back or whether he even wants to come back will be for them to discuss.

“If something could get done, I'm sure the club would do it.”

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/223189-smith-rules-out-rangers-move-for-boyd/

Rangers will not be moving to take Kris Boyd back to Ibrox, Walter Smith has said. The club had been linked with their former striker, who moved to Middlesbrough last summer but is thought to be free to leave the Riverside Stadium.

Boyd became the Scottish Premier League's all-time top goalscorer during his time at Ibrox but left under freedom of contract when Rangers failed to match his wage demands. A move to the English Championship has not worked out and there had been suggestions that he wuold be an ideal replacement for Kenny Miller, who left Rangers for Bursaspor last week.

"It's a simple one," Smith said at his press conference on Tuesday. "We couldn't afford wages Boro were offering, we still can't now."

The Rangers manager is looking to add to his squad during the January transfer window but has admitted that he is finding it difficult to identify targets while working to a tight budget.

Rangers attacker Steven Naismith had said that he believed former team-mate Boyd would be a hit if he returned for a second spell in light blue. If Boydy came back he'd do his usual and score goals, he said . But a lot of stuff's happened since he moved on.

Whether the club want him back or whether he even wants to come back will be for them to discuss.

If something could get done, I'm sure the club would do it.

A special Walter de-coder is necessary to interpret that. The man makes morse look like simple prose. How many times have people been wrong footed by the Fox?- this could easily as mean that Boyd is coming than not.

The closer the window gets to closing, with Boyd still on the Boro wage list, the more desperate they will get to get him off it. Even if it means not all of his wages being paid for by a different club.

I wouldn't rule it out yet.

That's not ruling it out, that's just ruling out paying his full wages. Not that I think it'd happen anyway, we've moved on.

Commons would be a much more sensible use of the miller cash.

yes it would, even though I dont know much about him.

The biggest and best use of the money, would have been a replacement for Weir, and, a kick in the arse for Bougherra telling him to defend more, and attack less

doubt it would happen but it could if boyd pfoned walter and said i will take a wage cut to come back i made a mistake. Ha fuckin some chance eh that happening

Middlesbrough have sold Wheater and O'Neil for good fees in the last few days. They aren't total mugs. They'll sell Boyd for a fee, they won't loan him out and still pay half his wages

How you can say that with such certainty is beyond me...you don't have the first clue what boro want to do with Boyd

If they were so shrewd would thye have paid him 25 k in the first place....

Seems to me that Walter (Rangers) would never take him back - he's just too professional to come out and say it.

I still say what I said months ago - Boyd won't kick another ball for the Rangers.

I believe this is what Walter is saying without being too disrespectful to Boyd.

Seems to me that Walter (Rangers) would never take him back - he's just too professional to come out and say it.

I still say what I said months ago - Boyd won't kick another ball for the Rangers.

I believe this is what Walter is saying without being too disrespectful to Boyd.

I completely agree with this (tu)

I just saw the footage there on SSN, and Walter is slyly sticking the boot in.

He was asked if there was any room for the wages to be manoeuvred in order for Boyd to come back. To which Walter replied, along the lines of 'Kris left because we couldn't pay him that money, it won't change. We can't pay him that money so he can't come back'.

For what reasons?

I doubt the management would hold any grudges over him leaving. Not wanting him back for footballing reasons is a different matter clearly.