Brian Laudrup Said No to Barcelona

TheMotor

Article in the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet this morning. Says it is a translation from an interview in the Herald but I can't find it on the Herald website. Apologies if the original has been on already:

Brian Laudrup revealed that he said no to joining Barcelona while he was at Glasgow Rangers, and Rangers coach Walter Smith was stunned when he refused Johan Cruyff's offer. Laudrup also admits that his move to Chelsea was a mistake.

- I could have signed a contract with Barcelona after five months at Rangers, said Brian Laudrup to the British newspaper The Herald.

- I told Walter that I wouldn't go. He looked at me and said, "Brian, you've said no to Barcelona."

- I said I'd rather play against Falkirk. My years at Rangers were the best in my career. Finally, I had a coach who told me I should play freely. Compared to Milan, where Capello dictated that I should be on the right side and just run back and forth in straight lines.

- Capello was tough and very difficult to come to grips with, while you would walk onto the pitch for Rangers and feel that you owed ​​Walter a good result.

One reason that Brian said no to Barcelona, were the experiences older brother Michael had at the club. Michael Laudrup was a part of the squad that won the Champions League in 1992 and four Spanish championships in a row.

Michael was at odds with Cruyff and two years later was sitting in the stands when Barcelona met Brian Laudrup's Milan in the Champions League final in 1994.

Brian Laudrup did not fancy having another demanding coach after Capello at Milan, so he stayed at Rangers.

He also wanted to leave in the last season at Ibrox.

But sir David Murray said no.

what was it that you said David something like "I dont care if a team offer 20 mill for him he aint going anywhere"

Ah those where the days.

Article in the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet this morning. Says it is a translation from an interview in the Herald but I can't find it on the Herald website. Apologies if the original has been on already:

As reposts go mate, this is one of the best ever! Don't apologise for posting quality like this! (tu)

Laudrup! :praise:

He also wanted to leave in the last season at Ibrox.

But sir David Murray said no.

what was it that you said David something like "I dont care if a team offer 20 mill for him he aint going anywhere"

Ah those where the days.

Aye, another ego-driven boast that came back to haunt him.

To be able to watch him and Gascoigne in the same team in my lifetime is something I'll never forget.

I hope I am wrong Goat, but it's unlikely we will ever see such a pairing ever again. They were amazing times indeed, and I had a great view from the East Enclosure - happy days!!