***The Open Championship***

pols59

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic, struck the golf ball a treat over the four days, a fantastic golfer, unplayable on his day, successful and a true gent...

There is not a man in world golf who deserves a major as much as Darren Clarke!

I've caddied in the same group as him on a few occasions and he is a great guy.

Simon

When you consider the amount of golf courses we have and have NEVER produced a class golfer , makes you wonder ..........

Never? Not for a long, long time maybe, but Scotland has produced the second highest number of major winners.

Simon

No , we have NEVER had a world class player . We probably have the most golf courses per square mile compared to all other countries and we cant produce good golfers .....fact .

Personally i think its elitist and to much snobbery involved in this country and as long as it continues we will never have a world class player .......

I think some people forget how hard it is to make it as a professional golfer, no matter where they are from and how many golf courses there are in their country of birth.

It's the same for every sport!

Sandy lyle win two majors and was world number one, in fact sevvy said that if sandy put four rounds together no one could touch him, of course savvy said he'd finish second. Of course well done to Darren a credit to the sport.

Muff

When folk dont make it one of the excuses is , we dont have the resources . Well we do have them , in abundance with zero champs ......

If only we had the weather where we could use them most of the year.Most of the recent British tournament winners including Montgomery and Laird have taken scholarships or attended US universtities.The cost,elitism,snobbery and the way most clubs actively discourage or restrict young players does not help either..

Sandy lyle was English , born in Shrewsbury.........

He classes himself as scots, anyway how many English major winners have there been since WWII. Fact is he classes himself as scots as his parents were from clober golf club.

I would suggest that the weather here plays a major factor in this country producing professional golfers.

At times during the winter it's almost impossible to get a round in when you have to compete with almost constant rain, below minus temperatures, snow, gail force winds and so on, where as golfers from places like America, Spain, France, Italy, South Africa etc... have almost the whole year to go out and practice their game.

People in those climates already have the upper hand of Scottish golfers. If I was a coach of someone who was up and coming in golfing terms in Scotland, my advice would be for them to take a leaf out of Martin Laird's book. He got himself out of Scotland and moved to America, and his game is starting to flourish due to playing better climates.

'Clarke admitted that he had been inundated with messages of congratulations, but was not yet in a position to reply to them all. "I have 294 (text) messages and the writing is far too small for me to look at them in this state, so I may look at them tomorrow at some stage and figure them out."'

:lol:

'Clarke admitted that he had been inundated with messages of congratulations, but was not yet in a position to reply to them all. "I have 294 (text) messages and the writing is far too small for me to look at them in this state, so I may look at them tomorrow at some stage and figure them out."'

Brilliant.

I remember coming back after my 18th and trying to look at my laptop and thinking what the fuck is this, I cannot read.

Then being sick.

I think some people forget how hard it is to make it as a professional golfer, no matter where they are from and how many golf courses there are in their country of birth.

It's the same for every sport!

Even harder when you've not got the cash to fork out for clubs, golf lessons, golf academy's etc if my son said he wanted to take up golf seriously I'd find it difficult to constantly come up with money for him to continue, you'll never see a boy from a council house winning a major same goes for tennis