Champions League

Shuggy07

Now we are out of CL , let's look at things with an objective head. Our chances of going deep into the CL is minimal at best. I love the CL games, but in reality we are outsiders at best to get anything other than a shytey draw or Jammy win. Yes the coin is handy for the club and the alternative Europa League is it's poor cousin, however if we spend a good few seasons doing another Manchester I'm sure it would keep all is bears content . We have to realize that we can't afford good quality CL standard players anyway, so going into the CL group stages with the SPL standard players we have and having no real chance of success is not exactly enthralling. Let's have a crack at the Europa League with a little hope for another Manchester at the end the season. Scottish Football is at rock bottom anyway, so let's stop filling ourselves with false hope of CL glory and strive for something a little more realistic considering our circumstances.

Now we are out of CL , let's look at things with an objective head. Our chances of going deep into the CL is minimal at best. I love the CL games, but in reality we are outsiders at best to get anything other than a shytey draw or Jammy win. Yes the coin is handy for the club and the alternative Europa League is it's poor cousin, however if we spend a good few seasons doing another Manchester I'm sure it would keep all is bears content . We have to realize that we can't afford good quality CL standard players anyway, so going into the CL group stages with the SPL standard players we have and having no real chance of success is not exactly enthralling. Let's have a crack at the Europa League with a little hope for another Manchester at the end the season. Scottish Football is at rock bottom anyway, so let's stop filling ourselves with false hope of CL glory and strive for something a little more realistic considering our circumstances.

I like it!!

Far better than playing 1-10-0 to try to keep the score down against Barca etc or watching Man Utd turn up with a reserve team.

If we had made it to the group stages and even better made it out of them coupled with winning the league we would have left them for dead. They cant keep subsidising the huge squad they have without CL money.

A long run in the Europa has a detrimental effect on the league history has proven this, however we are both in the same boat this year.

But yes we will be much more competitive and an away day in Europe is the same regardless of the comp.

Points are slightly better for CL. Look at this from last year: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/tcoef2011.html

The difference is nowhere near as big as the money though, as you say.

Points are the exact same. 2 pts for a win, 1 pt for a draw. Although teams actually can earn more points from the Europa League because of the qualification rounds.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calc.html (tu)

It's the bonus points that differ. 4 for reaching CL groups and 5 for reaching last 16.

The difference would be actually reaching the last 16 of the CL. In the Europa League you can earn around 3, 4 or 5 points for reaching the group stages, depending on where you entered the tournament.

If you never qualified from your CL group then your points could well be less than a similar team in the EL group stages.

So you would be correct in saying the CL has more points available but only if you reach the last 16. (tu)

Was thinking this today.

CL = Loads of money.

CL = Bad press for negative football

CL = Bad for the co-efficient (usually)

Europa = A few more matches therefore matchday money.

Europa = Not nearly as much money as the CL even if we make it to the final!

Europa = A better chance to help the co-eff.

Europa = A 'chance' to win it. CL = none.

It's not nearly as bad as folk make it out to be.

What's best is a decent run in the CL.. then drop into the Europa.

But it's not all bad.

Theres absolutely no way to sugar coat it, the Champions League is the place to be. Anything else is a poor alternative.

We also won't see another Manchester for a long, long time.

Exactly. We dont go in the Champions League to win it, its the money it gives thats so important to a club like us.

Im just scared Whyte had pre-spent the money.......

In the Europa League you can earn around 3, 4 or 5 points for reaching the group stages, depending on where you entered the tournament.

You mean from the qualifiers? Fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

I've always said the Europa league is our Champions league.We have a chance of winning it whereas the CL is now the rich kids playground where Barca,Real,Chelsea,Man U ,Bayern and maybe another 1 or 2 fight it out and also it's not the CL anymore it's the see how many from the rich countries we can get in.

The Europa league is big for us and we can beat the majority on our day and win it realistically so i prefer it to be honest.

I,ve expressed by views on the champions league on other posts and how football is in general.

You can stick it for me as its not a level playing field through the rich getting richer

and the stitch up involving major countries having clubs not having to play each other .

The Europa league is critisised and the only reason is because of thursday night games

affecting clubs playing on a saturday .

There is nothing wrong with european football just the ruling body who have created a closed shop for the so called big wigs

and re-name a competiton where league champions have to qualify to get into it

and those that may not win a domestic competion in their country get easier route or an automatic entry.bullshit%20-%20Copy.gif