Whyte Hits Back At Lawwell And Admits Transfer Mistakes.

PaulRFC1

CRAIG WHYTE last night hit back at Peter Lawwell for his Nikica Jelavic jibe — insisting that the Celtic chief lacked DIGNITY.

Lawwell took a swipe at Rangers last week after Ibrox sources claimed they'd rejected a whopping £9million for hitman Jela.

Lawwell joked: "Last night we got a £29m offer for Gary Hooper, from an unknown agent, from an unknown club, from another universe."

Ally McCoist refused to respond to the comments.

Gers chairman Whyte bristled when asked about it — and insisted Lawwell was out of order.

He said: "I like to think I would be more dignified than to make jokes about what's happening on the other side of town and maybe they should be too."

In an exclusive SunSport interview Whyte insists the bid to land Jelavic was never a goer — as Gers wouldn't have had time to sign a replacement.

Whyte added: "It was the timing of it which was bad. Had a bid come in earlier in the transfer window — allowing us time to go and bring a replacement in — then it might have been a different decision.

"The fact it came so late, on the last day when there was no chance of bringing someone else in, made it a non-starter.

"It's not an area where the manager has lots of players.

"That's why it would have been impossible to do it. Clearly if we get high bids in for players we'll look at them.

"If we've got a business decision to make then we'll make it.

"The reaction to the Jelavic bid showed me we can't do anything right in some people's eyes. Even something positive — like us keeping one of our best players — was turned into a negative. All we can do is get on with running the club and make the decisions we need to make.

"Maybe then we'll be judged in the long term.

"There will be some short term decisions which will be difficult, but over the long term I believe we'll come out stronger."

Gers are facing a whopping tax bill which could run to £50m — and Whyte has confessed he could be forced to sell his biggest stars in January.

He said: "It's not the case we will necessarily need to but we might make that decision.

"I'm certainly not going to rule that out."

Whyte was hit with criticism for failing to help gaffer McCoist in the transfer market.

He admits that he DID make mistakes during the summer window.

He added: "Part of the problem was I didn't get in here until May.

"Had things happened quicker we might have been able to put more in place.

"Mistakes were made. By January, and certainly next July and August, we'll be much more organised in what we're doing."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3810937/Whyte-fury-at-Lawwell-jibe.html#ixzz1Xng7bPyb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're cruising at the top of the league come January he might see that we have CL money coming up and may not have to sell.

I think Jelavic will go no matter what and McGregor may go too..If that generates close on £20m we may be able to spend some..

All depends on what the HMRC outcome is..Whyte seems confident that if we do have to pay then it won't be the £49m quoted.

Fuckin Murray and Bain should be brought to boot on this one.

So we may need to sell top stars eh...

Still not sure what Crig whyte has brought to the table here that makes us better off than we were under Sir david and Lloyds....apart from the fact we don't have the security of MIH to fall back on.

We didnt even have that in the end, it would apper.

We didnt even have that in the end, it would apper.

Why ?

Sir David wouldn't fund us and MIH is in trouble but he was still responsible for us in the end. Whyte does not have anything like that to fall back on, he is using Rangers to fund Rangers, none of his own supposed wealth.

when the shiut hit the fan with Rangers sir david put in 50 odd million...what are the chances of Whyte doing that ?

Why ?

Sir David wouldn't fund us and MIH is in trouble but he was still responsible for us in the end. Whyte does not have anything like that to fall back on, he is using Rangers to fund Rangers, none of his own supposed wealth.

when the shiut hit the fan with Rangers sir david put in 50 odd million...what are the changes of Whyte doing that ?

He'll be withdrawing £20m.

:crabflute: i've just had breakfast with a group of friends here in manchester city&united fans and they just cant believe what has happend to our club ,i showed them the rangers media on my laptop and they could not get over the ammount of doom and gloom on the part of the fans as one of them said theres nothing the fans can do to influence the board, decisions have to be made for the good of the club and the best way to do that is to get right behind the team and the manager and let the bordroom men get on with the job of turning the financial side to the good,now lets just get behind the team for the match on sunday and cheer them on from start to the final whistle lets try and set a new decibel level.

:crabflute: i've just had breakfast with a group of friends here in manchester city&united fans and they just cant believe what has happend to our club ,i showed them the rangers media on my laptop and they could not get over the ammount of doom and gloom on the part of the fans as one of them said theres nothing the fans can do to influence the board, decisions have to be made for the good of the club and the best way to do that is to get right behind the team and the manager and let the bordroom men get on with the job of turning the financial side to the good,now lets just get behind the team for the match on sunday and cheer them on from start to the final whistle lets try and set a new decibel level.

Not a pop at you but a bit rich from Man U fans when you see all those gr**n and yellow scarves all round the stadium . And city fans for years moaned and groaned and god only knows what they will be like if Ahab pulls out.

why is he telling the whole world our players are available, because we're skint. I thought knocking back the Jelavic bids was a sign of solidarity regardless of the reasoning, but he's basically saying he'd have defo gone had it been earlier! so whoever fancies him, or indeed anyone else, wont be bidding what they might have, advantage lost. Its no secret we'd sell anyone if the right offer came in, we're a selling club, just dont tell them we're badly needing to, right? :s

Not a pop at you but a bit rich from Man U fans when you see all those gr**n and yellow scarves all round the stadium . And city fans for years moaned and groaned and god only knows what they will be like if Ahab pulls out.

Spot on.

I'd also like to add that this is where people should do their moaning and groaning about the finances. The match should kept free for moaning and groaning about the shit performances from the team and management. :D

why is he telling the whole world our players are available, because we're skint. I thought knocking back the Jelavic bids was a sign of solidarity regardless of the reasoning, but he's basically saying he'd have defo gone had it been earlier! so whoever fancies him, or indeed anyone else, wont be bidding what they might have, advantage lost. Its no secret we'd sell anyone if the right offer came in, we're a selling club, just dont tell them we're badly needing to, right? :s

I think Jela wants to be in the EPL sooner rather than later. We all want to keep our stars, but if a bid in the £10m region came in with time to get quality replacements it would make for good business, even on a firm financial footing.