Expanding The Stadium...

RangersMedia

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter just graduated as an architect and tells me there are any number of ways Ibrox could be expanded. Choices made would depend on the budget and the budget should be defined by demand.

It’s fine as it is, then, and unless we join the EPL, then I can’t see where the extra capacity would be required.

I can’t wait for us to leave the SPL.

My daughter just graduated as an architect and tells me there are any number of ways Ibrox could be expanded. Choices made would depend on the budget and the budget should be defined by demand.

It’s fine as it is, then, and unless we join the EPL, then I can’t see where the extra capacity would be required.

I can’t wait for us to leave the SPL.

You'll be waiting a while

This is just a random question I've been thinking about today. Never mind all the pro's/con's for expanding the stadium, I'm not interested in that and don't wish this thread to turn into that as it has been done to death on here.

My question is this : how? How would we be able to expand the stadium? I'm not well versed in anything architectural, but I don't see how, from looking at Ibrox we could fit another tier in without some major foundational work? If it were even possible to do, wouldn't it be bloody expensive to do?

Also, the front of the Bill Struth stand is listed, yes?

Answers, lads?

I'm not an architect or builder but I do have a good memory. When the corners were filled in 1995-96 (remember Gazza 8-in-a-row and the scaffolds?) - as a contingency, Murray The Mint decided to spend an extra 2.5 million on the construction work on the 'foundations' in the corners to support a potential 'cantilevered' 3rd deck on The Govan. The initial estimates were that this would provide 8 thousand extra seats. Since that time we've dug down to make the front stands bigger and added the Bar 72 thingy (more corporate pish!)... as well as some modifications to the Main Stand (press gantry etc).

So the basic infrastructure to upgrade 'is' in place - it would very similar to what Man U have done and, therefore, would have a 'very' steep angle (similar to Club Deck).

I would assume (hope) that Craig Whyte would only ever consider this if we get out of the league we're in. There are far too many empty seats already! If he did then filling in the corners would be great too...oh and some temporary electric fencing for the Old Firm games as well please or give out some tazers to the Bears nearest The Beggars!...

I'm not an architect or builder but I do have a good memory. When the corners were filled in 1995-96 (remember Gazza 8-in-a-row and the scaffolds?) - as a contingency, Murray The Mint decided to spend an extra 2.5 million on the construction work on the 'foundations' in the corners to support a potential 'cantilevered' 3rd deck on The Govan. The initial estimates were that this would provide 8 thousand extra seats. Since that time we've dug down to make the front stands bigger and added the Bar 72 thingy (more corporate pish!)... as well as some modifications to the Main Stand (press gantry etc).

So the basic infrastructure to upgrade 'is' in place - it would very similar to what Man U have done and, therefore, would have a 'very' steep angle (similar to Club Deck).

I would assume (hope) that Craig Whyte would only ever consider this if we get out of the league we're in. There are far too many empty seats already! If he did then filling in the corners would be great too...oh and some temporary electric fencing for the Old Firm games as well please or give out some tazers to the Bears nearest The Beggars!...

Interesting that you should say that because the Club deck in the Main Stand has an angle of 34º which is the maximum recommended in the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds but the Govan stand has an angle of 22º for the lower tier and 28º on the upper tier so there is room to put in another tier with regards to viewing guidelines etc.

Interesting that you should say that because the Club deck in the Main Stand has an angle of 34º which is the maximum recommended in the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds but the Govan stand has an angle of 22º for the lower tier and 28º on the upper tier so there is room to put in another tier with regards to viewing guidelines etc.

Your figures stack up here. Maybe you 'are' an architect? Anyway, after a wee bit of Google research - I found a mention of this (potential) upgrade on the Scottish Football Ground's website. Here's the link: http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/rangers.htm

Your figures stack up here. Maybe you 'are' an architect? Anyway, after a wee bit of Google research - I found a mention of this (potential) upgrade on the Scottish Football Ground's website. Here's the link: http://www.scottishg....uk/rangers.htm

I'm currently in 3rd year doing a Bsc Hons in Architectural Technology and I did a bit of structural analysis on football stadiums when I was at college. Not much but it did cover a few things about stadiums in Scotland such as Ibrox, Hampden and Porkhead.

I have given this question some thought over the years as it irks me no end the mankies having a bigger ground than us! We have a huge amount of dead space between the stands and the pitch playing area I'm no engineer but I reckon if we had one big continuous deck on the Copland Broomloan and the Govan extending out it would increase our capacity by several thousand, the corners where supposed to be filled by seats but Murray changed his mind and installed jumbotrons so he could get us all to sit at the Brox and pay to watch away games satellite telly put paid to that one, I think it high time we had another lookat that one! A good friend of mine who happens to be an architect thinks this is a feasible plan but would require reclaiming the office space to accommodate the extra capacity re toilets catering etc.

I have given this question some thought over the years as it irks me no end the mankies having a bigger ground than us! We have a huge amount of dead space between the stands and the pitch playing area I'm no engineer but I reckon if we had one big continuous deck on the Copland Broomloan and the Govan extending out it would increase our capacity by several thousand, the corners where supposed to be filled by seats but Murray changed his mind and installed jumbotrons so he could get us all to sit at the Brox and pay to watch away games satellite telly put paid to that one, I think it high time we had another lookat that one! A good friend of mine who happens to be an architect thinks this is a feasible plan but would require reclaiming the office space to accommodate the extra capacity re toilets catering etc.

You from ibrox street mate? Just curious if i know you. Im from copland road originally

Something good about Murray :sherlock:.

The Govan was originally 10,500 seats so 8,000 on top would need to cover most of what is already there ... not really the case with the main stand / enclosure

Bill Struth Stand (frontage) is an A-Listed building and would require permission from Heritage Scotland for any alterations or even demolition.

This is unlikely to be given.

The three other stands (Copland, Govan and Broomloan) could be demolished and rebuilt - but why would anyone want to do that?

A. There is no demand for more seats.

B. See 'A'.

C. Er......see 'A' again.

(Note: There is no 'D')

I agree with this and we must be realistic as crowds where I can see are going down weekly , whether it be the economy, or the state of our League ie Reputation it has now ,because of said Bill .

It is not financially viable, and would be a waist in today's climate. Look at the new Hibs stand, always empty .

This is probably repeating what has been said earlier in this thread but whilst they were doing the corner stands they extended the build to ensure that they could support an extra tier above the Govan stand which would mirror the club deck.

Although we must also take into account that we cannot sell out the stadium as regularly as we once could so why would we add more seats?

Why not replace seating in the lower tiers of the Broomloan and Copland with terracing and charge folk a fiver less to stand.Im assuming you could squeeze more folk in if there standing rather than sitting? Folk would snap up cheaper tickets and there would be Bouncing atmosphere behind the goals.

With the "goal post" structure of the 3 stands, filliing the corners is not as easy as it sounds.

We would need some serious structural work to achieve this. Similar to the way the westfalenstadion was done (Ibrox was based on that stadium)

http://www.zerozerofootball.com/img/estadios/369/37369_ori_westfalenstadion_signal_iduna_park_.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLqKiwkHimFrm5Qb70DvTBKZiUUi6GYKvYdaCtnw3TirYoZWnH

Could look something like this

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFzCjjC2Y2oRCf8-hu7558ObPjcSJUXOpeoKCKevGt8SxK1Le7VA

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiIK0MuDGTTItRHtOLkgb6wveMvsyVAB9kVLReJshyn1R-0zOI6w

With the "goal post" structure of the 3 stands, filliing the corners is not as easy as it sounds.

We would need some serious structural work to achieve this. Similar to the way the westfalenstadion was done (Ibrox was based on that stadium)

http://www.zerozerof...iduna_park_.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.co...aCtnw3TirYoZWnH

Could look something like this

http://t2.gstatic.co...KevGt8SxK1Le7VA

http://t2.gstatic.co...eJshyn1R-0zOI6w

Yeah this was pretty much what I was trying to say earlier in this topic :)(tu)

I suppose a new tier on the Govan although it would be very expensive ... downside of course is the sun in the eyes although we don't get much of that in a Glasgow winter :pipe:

Scotland's version of the City of Manchester Stadium basically.

Global economic crisis. Global cash crisis. Football cash crisis. Season ticket numbers in freefall. Average crowd numbers in freefall.

And a few people suggesting spending Tens of millions to stick 12,000 empty seats into our stadium just so we can say my da is bigger than your da.

The worrying part is......they arent even joking. doh