Allan McGregor

simplythebest

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing a silly goal at 2-0 up with 10 mins to go when we were comfortable.....I'll accept no question!

Yet at 2-0 you are comfortable and 2-1 with 10 minutes to go means you can be put under a lot of pressure.

If we had drawn the game then he would have been slaughtered, making a mistake at that stage in the game or any stage is unacceptable in my eyes.

Got to laugh at how the BBC opened their match report yesterday though, nothing about a great away win, 14th away win in a row and they go with this..

An error by goalkeeper Allan McGregor set up a tense finale to a match Rangers looked to have under control.

Yet at 2-0 you are comfortable and 2-1 with 10 minutes to go means you can be put under a lot of pressure.

If we had drawn the game then he would have been slaughtered, making a mistake at that stage in the game or any stage is unacceptable in my eyes.

Pretty much my thinking, the fact we ended up beating Celtic and held on to 2-1 yesterday should not make the mistakes any more excuseable.

Basically he should be dropped. Number 2 until Alexander makes as many mistakes as McGregor.

Irrelevant.

An error is an error, it's down to the goalkeepers luck what time in the game it comes about and how many goals the outfield players have already scored. Alexander was unlucky his error at Falkirk came in the last minute and we were drawing the match, McGregor was lucky that we were already 2-0 up and held out for the rest of the game yesterday, against Celtic he was fortunate there was time to come back and that we did come back.

Perhaps if a goalkeeper makes an error when the team is 5-0 up I can deal with the idea that it doesn't matter, but Allan's mistakes were important ones at the time even if we won both matches.

So he makes 2 errors..... 2 and he should be reprimanded??

If we did that we would have about 3 players left in matchday squad.

Has he pumped your bird or something?

So he makes 2 errors..... 2 and he should be reprimanded??

If we did that we would have about 3 players left in matchday squad.

Has he pumped your bird or something?

Read the OP carefully and you'll see it was a very balanced critisism. I directly said I wasn't suggesting he should be dropped, all I'm hoping for is Ally and the coaching staff having a quiet word about it behind the scenes, hardly demanding he be crucified in the Ibrox center circle.

What I was saying to you there is that the final results didn't make the mistakes any less terrible.

Shagger has definitely not been up to his usual standards this season. Another error like that should lead to Alexander getting the gloves for a wee while, just to give him a kick up the backside.

Alexander's only contribution this season was to knock us out of a cup against a first division side.

Alexander's only contribution this season was to knock us out of a cup against a first division side.

Doesn't mean that McGregor shouldn't be dropped if (and only if), he keeps making errors. To be fair to Alexander the error against Falkirk is probably only the second major mistake I remember him making while he's been here.

Don't agree that it's only two 'mistakes' it's been two howlers and mistakes against Maribor and Malmo.

It's not just about those mistakes this season....distribution, catching and failure to get the ball away from the target when tested with a strike has been evident.

Some seem to act like this is the first time McGregor has made mistakes. Alan used to be error prone earlier in his career and has made errors often against the scum.

The mistakes should certainly not be shrugged off if we still win, or when he makes fantastic saves(that's what he's there to do) because others this season have not been given the same freedom of making mistakes. Jelavic and Lafferty rightly have been criticised for errors even when they score a goal, the same must apply to Alan McGregor. Alexander got slated for 1 error!

Still number 1 but must cut out those mistakes and improve other parts of his game.

This is spot on for me.Do we have to wait until a mistake costs us a game before we are allowed to criticise?He put us under real pressure yesterday and attempting to blame Sasa wasnt on for me.But you are right.There are a number of parts of his game this year that he needs to give attention to.

This is spot on for me.Do we have to wait until a mistake costs us a game before we are allowed to criticise?He put us under real pressure yesterday and attempting to blame Sasa wasnt on for me.But you are right.There are a number of parts of his game this year that he needs to give attention to.

Chuck him them. Put Alexander in. It seems that he can do no right in any area of his game this season.

When you consider we have lost 5 goals this season. McGregor has thrown 40 per cent of them in his own net. Not good enough in my opinion.

ha ha ha ha ha ha get a efin grip. :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor: :mcgregor:

Alan McGregor is not world class, that's easily the most 'speewd on' comment in the thread.

People really underrate Alexander and give him no credit by claiming McGregor is 'miles' better.

Allan McGregor is not world class. And some posters overrate him. Saying that, I think you might go the other way. Why do you think Walter Smith always reinstated McGregor as number one? If Alexander was at the same level as McGregor then he would surely have kept him as number one after coming in for such long periods of time when McGregor was injured/suspended in the 07/08 and 08/09 seasons?

Did highlight the point that people suggest McGregor is miles better than Alexander. Not sure how that makes me go 'the other way' with Alexander!

Obviously Walter preferred Alan, but that does not automatically mean everyone must agree, that's like saying Darren Fletcher is better Michael Carrick because Ferguson prefers the former or that Davis is better at RW because Walter often played Davis there instead of in the middle.

Managers make their own decisions and nobodies opinion should fall on their choices, cringe that those type of points on what managers believe are some sort of factual evidence.

In my view we have two very good goalkeepers who have better attributes to each other, for example Alan is a better shot stopper but Alexander has been distribution and is more adequate at coming for crosses. I like both and feel safe with either as number 1, Alan has that position as his own just now and fully deserves to keep it for the future unless errors continue.

Alexander has proved he can come in and play a key part in us being successful and helping win games, that's not opinion that's factual because it happened in the past and have no doubt he would save us often as well.

We're very lucky to have two very good goalkeepers.

You are making too much sense for some on this thread.

Why are some people so quick to defend McGregor yet when a player in another position makes an error which leads to a goal (Whittaker, Broadfoot etc) they demand they are dropped.

I don't want to see McGregor lose his spot in the team but after those two howlers he defnitely needs a word in his ear from Coisty, even a warning, that if he doesn't buck up his ideas and maintain his concentration then Alexander will be taking his place. Good man management is needed here.