Gary Speed minute silence

lee281

We're talking about football matches, and when a major British footballing figure dies so young and in those circumstances there's going to be tributes like a minute's silence

If you really feel no different about this death to ones you read in the paper then fine, but being a football fan the death of an iconic football figure in the UK certainly feels more personal and closer to home than somebody that I don't know from Adam despite obviously not knowing Gary Speed personally either.

So you'd be all for a minutes silence if green teeth hung himself?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's far too simplistic.

Showing respect en masse for a public figure (for the want of a better phrase), allows people to also reflect on their own losses at these times, and it reminds people that displaying a sense of decency for someone's passing, is an important part of being a decent human being.

It's sad to say that respect for someone's death is declining nowadays (eg you don't see many people standing quietly in the street as a hearse passes them, or even slowing down in their car to avoid passing a funeral cortege), so it does no harm to stand and show respect now and again as a wee reminder of good behaviour in these circumstances.

A minute's silence for the likes of Speed does no harm, but the OP's suggestion is just being stupid.

i agree with this 100% ..it does let people think of friends & family that have passed away .and also shows respect to gary speed from our club . rip gary speed . my thoughts are with his wife & family .

For me, applauses are fine if you're commemorating someone who has lived a long life and succeeded in their career. You're basically then thanking them for whatever it is they have done, and thats fine if everyone is happy with it. When it is some tragedy where people have been killed, or in a case like Speed then I'm not convinced a minutes applause is apropriate, not because he hasn't done anything worth applauding, as he clearly has, but because the way he has died, the suddeness of it, is really too tragic. But each to their own.

This is my view too. Applause can be appropriate to celebrate someone's life in certain circumstances but not to show respect for a tragic untimely death.

This is my view too. Applause can be appropriate to celebrate someone's life in certain circumstances but not to show respect for a tragic untimely death.

Applause is a bag of shite that has been introduced in this country to cover for scum who can't observe a silence.

Let's not dress it up as something that it's not. To do that, is being as disrespectful as the scum who can't keep quiet to show some respect for someone's death.

I find applauding someone's death utterly cringeworthy and offensive. I wouldn't applaud at their funeral so i am certainly not going to applaud anywhere else.

I still find the minute's silence uncomfortable given he had no connection with Rangers or Scottish Football.

I find applauding someone's death utterly cringeworthy and offensive. I wouldn't applaud at their funeral so i am certainly not going to applaud anywhere else.

I still find the minute's silence uncomfortable given he had no connection with Rangers or Scottish Football.

I can understand you feeling uncomfortable. For me personally, to have the chance to stand in silence at Ibrox, to show my respect to the loss of an incredible footballer and individual, is one I will remember for a many years.

Gary Speed was an unsung hero of mine, I was not a Leeds, Newcastle or even a Bolton fan, but as a young'un growing up in England, as the Premier League began, he is an important part of my footballing childhood.

I hope he finds his peace.

But it isn't a funeral so that's not relevant is it? I'll be wearing jeans this afternoon - wouldn't do that at a funeral either.

I fully agree that applause wouldn't be appropriate on this occasion, but I didn't find the applause for George Best cringeworthy personally.

They should have observed the silence. Not a fan of applauses unless it's the wish of the family.

The advantage of the applause is that you are not forced to take part as I was yesterday at a game, (a non-league game in Devon); you could choose to abstain without causing offence. I'm coming around to the idea.

The advantage of the applause is that you are not forced to take part as I was yesterday at a game, (a non-league game in Devon); you could choose to abstain without causing offence. I'm coming around to the idea.

But even during a silence it isn't a big deal to ask someone to shut up and pay respects for 60 seconds. It's fair enough if an applause is requested by the family, but surely it isn't too much to ask to pay your respects with a minute of remembrance?

I just don't fucking understand it. Everyone knew it was a silence, the players stood arms linked around their shoulders, it was announced over the tannoy and there was silence... then people Start clapping? Complete and utter doughballs

Was disgusted with the clapping yesterday.

Completely agree; it was announced that there was to be a minutes silence and it did start out as that and then after about 10 seconds some started clapping,more joined in and others were observing the proper mark of respect; all in all it was just wrong.

Was disgusted with the clapping yesterday.

I could not believe it when the applause started. It was the first time I have ever been ashamed of a section of our support, who are usually respectful to a man during these solemn occasions. If the same thing had happened across at The Glitterdome, we would all have been condemning them. All those who applauded should hang their heads in shame.

I could not believe it when the applause started. It was the first time I have ever been ashamed of a section of our support, who are usually respectful to a man during these solemn occasions. If the same thing had happened across at The Glitterdome, we would all have been condemning them. All those who applauded should hang their heads in shame.

I don't agree people should take it upon themselves to change the tribute but it's not as if this was an intentional disrespectful disruption.

Write to The Times. :rolleyes:

Seriously...why disgust at people who were doing what they thought was a tribute?

[/quo

We were asked to observe 1 minutes silence which is the Rangers way and always has been. But we now have some idiots in our support who are heading down the tarriers route, they should hang their heads in shame.

Socrates, true legend of the game... surely he has to be worth a minute's silence?

He had just as much connection to Rangers as Gary Speed. (I think my wife might be right, and that I am indeed a heartless fucker)

Yer wife's wrang mate............................................................:ph34r:

Why don't we jist have a minute's silence every week for everybody that passes away? That's the stage it's getting tae.

Write to The Times. :rolleyes:

Seriously...why disgust at people who were doing what they thought was a tribute?

We were asked to observe 1 minutes silence which is the Rangers way and always has been. But we now have some idiots in our support who are heading down the tarriers route, they should hang their heads in shame.

As I said in another reply...this is nothing like a Tim disruption of a silence. Misguided maybe, but well meant.

Was pretty upset when the clapping started, the 1st Clap i heard came from a few rows in-front of me. Was my 4 year olds 1st game and i told him the night before, on the subway in and before the minute started he had to be silent and he done it. Shame others couldn't