Has cancelling the reserve league made the SPL worse ?

Undoubtedly. Far too many fringe players and youths are simply rotting away playing the odd meaningless bounce game then sitting on a bench week after week.

If the cost of a reserve league was prohibitive to most teams then surely the way forward is to allow those who can afford it to set up B teams to play in the 3rd division and try to get promotion to the 1st division. Obviously once they get there they cannot be promoted to the SPL or be allowed in to Cup Competitions.

I have no doubt this B team idea would see the likes of Fleck and others develop and toughen up a lot quicker.

Undoubtedly. Far too many fringe players and youths are simply rotting away playing the odd meaningless bounce game then sitting on a bench week after week.

If the cost of a reserve league was prohibitive to most teams then surely the way forward is to allow those who can afford it to set up B teams to play in the 3rd division and try to get promotion to the 1st division. Obviously once they get there they cannot be promoted to the SPL or be allowed in to Cup Competitions.

I have no doubt this B team idea would see the likes of Fleck and others develop and toughen up a lot quicker.

I don't no why this hasn't happened, its so glaringly obvious. But the Scottish fa are not the most free thinking of people.

I don't no why this hasn't happened, its so glaringly obvious. But the Scottish fa are not the most free thinking of people.

I'm sure they'd (SFA) would find a way to block it should the idea be mooted. They'd spout something abuot it being unfair that teams have 2 teams in the current league set up or even that it'd dilute the competition of the Scottish leagues.

I personally feel this should have been done years ago. It'd help form an idea to expand the league in some way as well once the Rangers 2nd team's hitting the top of the first division ;)

Without a shadow of a doubt, a player trains all week and if he is over 19 then unless he is playing first team football , then he is struggling to get a game.

Reserve football kept the player active and if his chance came along well up to speed re actual playing time.

It wasn't as simple as cancelling it. Many clubs couldn't afford to keep a reserve team going due to the extra cost of having more players and staff on the wage bill, travel, ground staff to maintain the pitches.

There's no doubt that it's unfortunate that young players now don't have a chance of regular football, however that could be solved by setting up links with a lower league club and loaning out youngsters to give them some proper first team experience.

Bad decision, didn't mind that league. You always knew fit players were getting some minutes every week, the 3 under 21's in the matchday squad has declined the quality too. The youngters brought in never get on anyway, seems pointless to me.

Yes. Clubs dont get the opportunity to bleed young/new/returning from injury/squad players into the rigours of SPL football. They're also reluctant to be brave when selecting teams and tend to stick with what they know for fear of losing.

That's whg we get Whittaker, Broadfoot, McCulloch and Edu rather than McMillan, Bartley, Ness and McKay.

Even from a spectating point of view losing the reserves was a sad day :anguish:.

As has been said already it's a pity the clubs who can afford it can't put a reserve team in the lower leagues but it's probably too good an idea for the SFA :rolleyes:

That's really nothing to do with the SFA tbh, everything to do with the SFL and the tail wagging the dog. Shortsightedness, bloodymindedness and self serving not to mention incompetance, people with a vested interest and yet if they actually used their brains, they would get a lot more money from matches against Rangers B, tims B etc than they would against each other.

if there was a b team where would we play the home games

I'm sure there would have to be plans implemented to cover things like this, I suppose when we started out we could play most games at Auchenhowie and then as the team progressed up the leagues they could get into partnership with a couple of clubs nearby to rotate our home games to spare the pitches at any one stadium? Perhaps a few junior clubs grounds could be looked at as well? I think clubs may agree to that if they were allocated a percentage of the gate?