Jelavic Thread

Brian Laudrup

No one can be sure just to what the actual deal was as every newspaper seems to have it different.

One has it as 6 Million plus bonuses if they make it to prem, others have it as £7 mill up front while the express has it as 2 players included...I'd really doubt any of these are correct.

I think we are holding out for £8 million or above as the current offers will not see Ally be given much funds to play with. We will get around 10-20% of the fee I'd imagine to spend while the rest is banked.

The two players offered as part of the deal, would eat up the wages freed by Jelavic going, and more besides.

Do like Alan Compton scenario regarding comings and goings, not beyond the realms of possibility. Bit like my coupons at the weekends, don't go chasing an impossible dream, but still difficult to predict 7/8 results, with everything that can influence each one.

Glad we are holding out for more money and not our usual crumble at the first offer.

Sears and Piquionne are two good players and would both do well up here. I think it goes to show we aren't in that bad a situation financially as some people think!

I am starting to think that we won't get in suitable replacements in time as the window shuts in a few days. I might be inclined to keep him now and tell him to get his finger out and play well for the next few months and a host of clubs will be interested. We may even get the figure back up to nearer 10m. It could even win us the league.

Evening Times take on it all:

"RANGERS owner Craig Whyte is holding out for at least £9million for star man Nikica Jelavic.

Whyte last night rejected a £7m package from West Ham United for Scotland’s top scorer.

However, the Gers supremo has been warned that he will be very lucky to get his asking price for the Croatian – by former QPR boss Neil Warnock.

Warnock was keeping tabs on the 26-year-old when he was in charge at the London club before he was sacked and replaced by Mark Hughes.

He said: "I know what Rangers value him at, but whether they get anywhere near that is another matter. I would be surprised if anybody paid that much for Jelavic. We watched him at QPR and were not very impressed."

West Ham offered striker Frederic Piquionne to help sweeten the deal, but the 33-year-old did not interest Rangers.

The offer was not a straightforward £7m up front, although the total deal, including clauses, would have added up to that amount.

It is believed Rangers not only want more money, but also a bid that would involve nearly all of the transfer fee being paid up front.

That would not be a problem for cash-rich Russian club CSKA Moscow, who have entered the race to sign Jelavic after selling Brazilian star Vagner Love back to Flamengo for £9m.

It is believed CSKA Jelavic as the ideal replacement for the South American and could be ready to make a bid for the player within the next 48 hours.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has put contingency plans in place in case business is done just before the transfer window closes.

He is prepared for the possibility he could lose his main hitman in the final hours of the month.

Rapid Vienna’s Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi – available for a knockdown £500,000 – is high on the list, and there is also an interest in Neuchatel Xamax’s Nigerian, Kalu Uche.

McCoist is desperate to add more players. So far he has shipped out John Fleck on loan to Blackpool and watched Davie Weir end his time at the club to free-up wages.

Swedish winger Mervan Celik has been added and looks certain to make his debut against Hibs on Saturday, but others need to go and McCoist will hope Spanish side Almeria follow up an enquiry to take former player Juan Ortiz back on loan."