Proud

julescotia

I’m so proud to have been captain of one of the greatest teams in this club’s history

By DEREK McGREGOR

DAVID WEIR will fight back the tears again today and bid an emotion-charged farewell to Ibrox.

But amid the heartbreak of formally ending his astonishing five years as a Ger, there will be huge pride.

Pride, he says, at being a part of one of the club's greatest-ever teams.

Weir's way with the Light Blues has been a path to remarkable glory...

Three SPL titles, two Scottish Cups, three League Cups, a run to the UEFA Cup final, 230 appearances.

Little wonder the 41-year-old regards the group of players he's leaving behind as very special.

Weir had a lump in his throat yesterday just talking about them — and thinking of the ovation he's likely to get from the fans.

The three-in-a-row skipper said: "We were struggling to get second place and qualify for the Champions League when I joined.

"We were third and Aberdeen were second.

"That was Walter Smith's target back then and it tells you how far the club has come.

"I would never have believed that I would stay here for five years, although I've never looked that far ahead in my career.

"I was just delighted to get the chance to play for Rangers.

"I came here in a short-term capacity and to stay for five years has been a bonus, a real privilege. We have won leagues and won trophies in circumstances that Rangers never had before.

"I think what we have achieved is unheralded given all the various issues that have been going on.

"We have had to sell players and maybe not been able to bring players in. It has been an incredible achievement from the bunch of lads who have been here.

"I think over time it will go down as one of the great Rangers teams ever. I genuinely feel that.

"There is a culture of winning and we have learned that primarily from Walter Smith.

"I think he has educated the boys how to win and that is a great thing.

"We have been criticised for not being nice to watch and not scoring enough goals. But when you win the game it doesn't matter.

"As soon as you walk through the door here you realise the expectations.

"You can either fight it or accept it. The vast majority of lads went with it.

"I have learned a lot of great things here from a lot of great people."

Class act Weir will only take a bow on the pitch after being persuaded by Ally McCoist.

The former Scotland stopper — deep down embarrassed by all the attention — didn't want it.

His preferred scenario was leaving Murray Park yesterday lunchtime without fanfare and heading home.

For once though, Weir wasn't a winner — and he reluctantly accepted the invite to receive public acclaim.

He said: "Of course I am emotional. I've been here five years, I have made a lot of friends and had great experiences. But I know it is the time to leave. I came on the condition that if I wasn't playing I would go. We are now at that stage.

"I have it right in my head and it is the right thing to do.

"It would have been the easiest thing in the world to stay here until the end of the season. I love coming here, I love coming to my work. But I wasn't comfortable with it when it became obvious that I wasn't playing.

"That was the agreement I had and it's the right thing to do. That wage could be utilised somewhere else, maybe with someone who is playing.

"It is the manager's choice if he wants to bring in someone else. But I just wanted to be fair to the club.

"I didn't want to wait until February and then hold my hand up and say I wanted to go.

"I'm not looking forward to Saturday, to be honest. I wanted to sneak out after training, but I was talked out of it. I'm not comfortable with the adulation.

"On the plus side I will be closer to my family when I leave and that's why it is the right decision."

Weir is not the type of player who harbours regrets.

But if he had one it would be the fact his last game in a Gers shirt was a defeat — against Malmo last July.

He said: "The highlight is winning things. You learn that quite quickly here. That is what it is all about.

"You have got to win here."

Weir admitted he intends becoming a coach or manager once he finally hangs up the boots. But he played down talk of him returning to Ibrox one day.

Weir said: "I want to play but I want to be a manager as well.

"You never say never in football — but coming back has never entered my head.

"A great manager has just left and hopefully Ally will be here for years to come.

"I hope there will not be a job up for grabs for a long, long time."

Boss McCoist — who wouldn't rule out a bench place for Weir today — said: "Davie deserves a big, big send-off and the thanks of everybody at the football club.

"And indeed the supporters.

"We had a meeting down the stairs and the players showed their appreciation of what he's done for them and the club.

"I've been lucky to have played with a few right good captains — and Davie would most certainly be right up there with true, great Rangers players."

"Davie's got old school class and dignity — everything you'd expect from a top player."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4075844/Im-so-proud-to-have-been-captain-of-one-of-the-greatest-teams-in-this-clubs-history.html#ixzz1k2wKg01e

I am heartened that Ally allegedly won't rule out a place on the bench for Big Davie. The Big Man deserves to have his last playing time as part of a winning team.

Let's hope he gets some game time today when we are winning. There will be more than a few tears shed at The Stadium today that much is certain.

Good luck for the future Davie and thanks- many thanks -for the memories! :praise:

I am heartened that Ally allegedly won't rule out a place on the bench for Big Davie. The Big Man deserves to have his last playing time as part of a winning team.

Let's hope he gets some game time today when we are winning. There will be more than a few tears shed at The Stadium today that much is certain.

Good luck for the future Davie and thanks- many thanks -for the memories! :praise:

totally agree , id love to see him come off the bench for the last few minutes ( if wer comfortable of course ) . the ovation he would get would be incredible .

Weir will be a massive loss from our dressing room. A true leader and a role model to every kid who wants to kick a ball at any level.

Despite only being a Ranger late in his career he personifies all the great traditions and values that the club stands for.

A true Rangers and footballing legend

Gutted I can't be there to give Davie a good send off. As I've said, I sometimes wonder where we'd be today in relation to them if we hadn't had people like him and Walter at the club over this last period.

Hopefully everyone can give him the send off he deserves. Last five minute cameo appearance off the bench with us winning would be fantastic. He deserves to go out on a winning note!

Thanks for the memories Davie.

This to the letter great post hope he gets some game time today.

Thanks for.everything Davie Weir a true Rangers legend what a man.