Michael Uchebo Coming on Trial

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes by me but it didn't get the credit it deserved - fact is no one at any cost is comming unless Jelavic or others are sold.

Spoil sport!

This was said before Cellik signed too.

If a few go out on loan then we could maybe get a striker IF Jelavic was to stay.

Like it or not before he moved to the taigs Samaras was good and when he has a good game he has a very good game. Few times against us he's given us a torrid time.

True, i just think we need someone with a bit of consitency. Most of the clips on that video (granted, not the best source to judge a player) make him look like a player that just runs and hopes to get a lucky bounce, no real skill on show in my opinion. We should be looking for better, no harm in giving the guy a trial though.

Nigerian striker Michael Uchebo trained with Rangers on Thursday, as he begins a trial spell with the club.

The VVV-Venlo striker, who stands at 6ft 6in tall, is out of contract in the summer and spent time training with Stoke City earlier in January.

STV understands the Dutch side are only interested in a permanent transfer for the player.

VVV also have the option to extend Uchebo’s deal for a further two seasons, ruling out any possibility of a pre-contract agreement.

With Uchebo in Glasgow attempting to win a move, VVV have accepted Rangers are in pole position for the player. But the club have also had notice of interest from two Russian clubs.

The 21-year-old has scored one goal in 10 club appearances this term, having netted eight times in total in 48 games over four seasons.

Uchebo would require a work permit to move to Scotland and, with no international caps at present, he would need to go in front of an appeals panel before any signing could be completed.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/295176-michael-uchebo-on-trial-with-rangers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rangers are weighing up moves for two Nigerian strikers in preparation for the departure of Nikica Jelavic.

As Sportsmail first reported, 6ft 8in striker Michael Uchebo has arrived on trial until the end of the week, with a fee already agreed with Dutch club VVV Venlo should he impress.

And Ibrox boss Ally McCoist is also investigating a move for Uchebo’s fellow countryman Kalu Uche, a free agent since walking out on Neuchatel Xamax last week.

Capped 34 times for Nigeria, the 29-year-old was formally released from any contractual obligation when the Swiss club filed for bankruptcy on Thursday.

Uche, who holds a Spanish passport, quit the club after owner and Chechen businessman Bulat Chagaev failed to pay the players. A potential stumbling block for Uche would be wage demands of £12,000 a week.

Estonian trialist Enar Jaager last week returned home unsigned despite asking for less than half that sum. Premiership Wigan and other English and Spanish clubs have also declared an interest.

Uchebo has already arrived in Glasgow, flying in on Wednesday night and training with the SPL champions on Thursday. The 21-year-old failed to secure a deal at Stoke City after a trial a fortnight ago.

McCoist had hoped to assess his talents sooner but this was delayed because of the death of the striker’s father.

Out of contract in the summer, Uchebo would command a fee but it is understood Rangers have already reached an agreement to pay a lot less than the £1million quoted if he impresses.

Wanted man: Rangers are preparing for the departure of Nikica Jelavic

Any deal would also ride on the granting of a work permit, with the issue likely to go to a tribunal.

‘I feel I have enjoyed my time at Venlo and I believe now is the time for me to get a move and go on another adventure in my career,’ said Uchebo.

‘I want to move to an ambitious club either now or at the end of the season. My dream is to play for the national team and I believe I would have a better chance of doing that if I play in the UK.’

Rangers are also monitoring Rapid Vienna’s Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi in the event of a Jelavic departure.

Any arrivals hinge on Rangers selling Jelavic, who missed training through illness yesterday and will talk to his agent, Simon Conning, after Saturday’s game with Hibs to discuss his options.

Reports of an increased bid from West Ham were denied by senior Rangers sources after the London club’s offer of £5m plus £1m in add-ons was rejected.

CSKA Moscow are the latest club to be linked with the Croatian. The Russian transfer window remains open until February 24.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092430/Rangers-want-Nigerian-strikers.html#ixzz1kbmn6rlx

Rangers are weighing up moves for two Nigerian strikers in preparation for the departure of Nikica Jelavic.

As Sportsmail first reported, 6ft 8in striker Michael Uchebo has arrived on trial until the end of the week, with a fee already agreed with Dutch club VVV Venlo should he impress.

And Ibrox boss Ally McCoist is also investigating a move for Uchebo’s fellow countryman Kalu Uche, a free agent since walking out on Neuchatel Xamax last week.

Capped 34 times for Nigeria, the 29-year-old was formally released from any contractual obligation when the Swiss club filed for bankruptcy on Thursday.

Uche, who holds a Spanish passport, quit the club after owner and Chechen businessman Bulat Chagaev failed to pay the players. A potential stumbling block for Uche would be wage demands of £12,000 a week.

Estonian trialist Enar Jaager last week returned home unsigned despite asking for less than half that sum. Premiership Wigan and other English and Spanish clubs have also declared an interest.

Uchebo has already arrived in Glasgow, flying in on Wednesday night and training with the SPL champions on Thursday. The 21-year-old failed to secure a deal at Stoke City after a trial a fortnight ago.

McCoist had hoped to assess his talents sooner but this was delayed because of the death of the striker’s father.

Out of contract in the summer, Uchebo would command a fee but it is understood Rangers have already reached an agreement to pay a lot less than the £1million quoted if he impresses.

Wanted man: Rangers are preparing for the departure of Nikica Jelavic

Any deal would also ride on the granting of a work permit, with the issue likely to go to a tribunal.

‘I feel I have enjoyed my time at Venlo and I believe now is the time for me to get a move and go on another adventure in my career,’ said Uchebo.

‘I want to move to an ambitious club either now or at the end of the season. My dream is to play for the national team and I believe I would have a better chance of doing that if I play in the UK.’

Rangers are also monitoring Rapid Vienna’s Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi in the event of a Jelavic departure.

Any arrivals hinge on Rangers selling Jelavic, who missed training through illness yesterday and will talk to his agent, Simon Conning, after Saturday’s game with Hibs to discuss his options.

Reports of an increased bid from West Ham were denied by senior Rangers sources after the London club’s offer of £5m plus £1m in add-ons was rejected.

CSKA Moscow are the latest club to be linked with the Croatian. The Russian transfer window remains open until February 24.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092430/Rangers-want-Nigerian-strikers.html#ixzz1kbmn6rlx

Jesus Christ - see if we keep him and then he gets shifted after the bloody European window...still, the idea that we have somehow already negotiated a fee significantly less than £1m for Uchebo seems promising

It's such a catch 22. Don't seem to be able to bring in players while Jelavic is here but, at the same time, really don;t want to sell Jelavic. Is gonna be a long few days!

Rangers meanwhile are unlikely to pursue their interest in latest trialist, Nigerian Michael Uchebo . The 6ft 6in striker currently with Dutch minnows Eredivisie trained at Murray Park yesterday after failing to win a deal with Stoke City earlier this month.

The 21 year old was monitored by manager Ally McCoist but issues surrounding his lack of experinece and a work permit as he is yet to play for the Super Eagles are expected to negate any further developments.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/298235

Nigerian strike star Michael Uchebo, meanwhile, has joined Gers on trial.

The 6ft 6in VVV-Venlo ace is out of contract in the summer. It's unlikely he'll land a deal as McCoist cannot bring anyone else in until he moves a top-team man on.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4090236/Jelas-Hamdi-man-for-Gers.html#ixzz1kc2fhSda

Should I just give up on the idea that this guy might sign for us now or what? Why the fuck did we even bring him over for a trial if:

1. We can't afford to offer him a contract.

2. Workpermit issues.

3. Issues surrounding his lack of experinece.