Corner, Fouls, Penalties and Goian

DougieGers

So Ive been thinking about yesterdays game and the penalty given to St Mirren for the foul by Goian during a corner.

Throughout football, holding and shirt pulling happens every game during corners and free kicks. It is highlighted every week on tv coverage and questions are always asked about why these arent given as penalties. If they were we would stamp it out of the game. I dont know if this is the case.

Recently I have seen a trend of more of these decisions being made by referees.

Let me state that I thought that the St Mirren Penalty yesterday was justified. It was right in front of me and Goian was all over the guy and I can have no complaints. Recently Goian has given away a few of these decisions and my heart is in my mouth everytime the opposition get a corner or free kick with the chance to put the ball into the box (The players dont need to be anywhere near the ball for the ref to whistle either). Despite giving away penalties Goian does the same thing at every set piece. It reminds me a little bit of Kyriakos or whatever the Greek guy we had was called. He went through a phase of playing rugby in the box at corners and giving away pens and im concerned the lessons are not being learned.

Recently in England i have seen a few of these decisions being given and yet defenders are still risking it ever corner.

Correct me if im wrong but one of the champions league games recently had a penalty given for this sort of thing in the box I think it was Barca v Milan

If the tide is indeed turning we need to be aware of this and be smart and teach our defenders to be more concerned about clearing the ball and not holding the attackers and not give the ref the opportunity to give a penalty. Yesterday would have been more comfortable if we had defended the corner properly.

Also as a wee side note. The decisions alway seem to have went against the big team. I dont know if they are more guilty of it than the smaller teams or if the refs just notice it more but still we should be better than that anyway.

I'd at it to the list of fouls that are given when a referee 'wants' to.

Barcelona get it because they get basically everything (no-one in the world seems to care about their tax issues either).

We get penalised for this, we get penalised for foul throws, I even remember a free-kick given against us for Joachim Bjorklund shepherding the ball out by blocking off the attacker to get a goal kick once (against Grasshoppers Zurich I believe)

I totally agree that Perry might be a better fit next season instead of Goian. I dont want to say that these always go against us because they have been given in many games recently however Goian is the best example. I just he would play the ball. Straight after the penalty he was doing it again and before that he was doing it. With the execption of 1 corner yesterday St Mirren could have had penalties.

i for one am not happy with our centre backs hopefully, when we get an new owner and if there is money there i would be looking for 2 defenders 2 midfield and 1 striker should we have kept aluko,naismith and little. how the hell can rangers miss out on some of the best young talent in scotland other teams fined Gems all the time but never us, we find the odd one and never play them time to wise up

I remember Julian Rodriguez for us literally rugby tackling a Porto player at a corner not looking at the ball that he could have easily cleared. I don't see the need for it personally unless a team have a tank of a player thats unstoppable any other way.

Both Goian and Bartley for guys there size (6ft5 and 6ft3) are terrible in the air!

Goian was massively overrated by our fans, even myself if im honest, but anytime a cross comes in or a defender runs at him my hearts in my mouth!

Why we persist in playing Bartley is beyond me, surely it would benefit Perry or any other young CB to play in these games where the result really doesnt matter...I think Bocanegra is brilliant but hopefully Bartley and Goian are moved on in the summer!

I think now is a good time for Perry to be given a run in the team at centre half. Goain seems to have lost interest. He also constantly argues with refs when he doesn't have to. He done it yesterday when he went down in the box in the first half and Bocanegra and mcculloch were trying to shut him up.

Both Goian and Bartley for guys there size (6ft5 and 6ft3) are terrible in the air!

Goian was massively overrated by our fans, even myself if im honest, but anytime a cross comes in or a defender runs at him my hearts in my mouth!

Why we persist in playing Bartley is beyond me, surely it would benefit Perry or any other young CB to play in these games where the result really doesnt matter...I think Bocanegra is brilliant but hopefully Bartley and Goian are moved on in the summer!

Its very hard to disagree with you mate.These two are my choice of weaklinks

The point i was making was it is that although Goian is the worst offender its not just him. All our defenders do it. Boca, Papac, Bartley etc. We should be hammering it into our defenders to play the ball not the man. Refs are picking up on it now so no matter who we play we shouldnt b doing it.

I've got to think either the individual associations have handed out a new directive, or FIFA. I used to be a ref and every once in a while you'd get some info on stuff to look out for, things they were highlighting.

Goian's gotten away with some big ones, too. Collum just wasn't going to let it fly for either side yesterday. Good on him.

I've got to think either the individual associations have handed out a new directive, or FIFA. I used to be a ref and every once in a while you'd get some info on stuff to look out for, things they were highlighting.

Goian's gotten away with some big ones, too. Collum just wasn't going to let it fly for either side yesterday. Good on him.

Good post. I like Collum as a ref tbh. Best ref in Scotland by a mile.

the minute barca got that penalty against milan, the barca defenders changed their tactics for set pieces, if you watch it after the penalty the barca players didnt even try to hold onto a milan striker

the ref was right in that game and correct yesterday, why defenders ned to grab strikers i'll never know, just fucking challenge them for the ball

I remember Julian Rodriguez for us literally rugby tackling a Porto player at a corner not looking at the ball that he could have easily cleared. I don't see the need for it personally unless a team have a tank of a player thats unstoppable any other way.

There are similarities with goian and Rodriguez , both would rather attack the player than the ball at set pieces and when they both jumped you could hardly get a newspaper below their feet. Goians distribution is poor as well . Boca on the other hand has been immense , really shrewd buy.