Rangers to England shock

scottjf82

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bury were in administration in 2002 due ot the collapse ofa TV deal with ITV Digitla (remember that?).

they exited administration with a 10p/£ CVA and are now fan owned in part.

Accounts from the previous 2 years show they posted a loss of 500k which the chairmen described as disasterous and blamed it on a harsh winter that casued postponement of home games, but halved that the following year to 250k which the chairman described as "light at the end of the tunnel".

it would seem to me that such small amounts of money (<£1m) seem to be life or death for a club like Bury.

The only way i see this being viable in the slightest is if Bury are staring down the barrel of Administration/Liquidation if they are still loss making.

gvien the fan ownership, the fans would need to agree to it, so whats in it for them? I'd imagien we'd have to bid a huge amount, take their membership, then sell the club back to them for £1. It would mean they were 'newco'ing' themselves, debt free & whatever we paid for the club would be Bury's cash available to them to rebuild for the future. They would need to start from the conference presumably.

All of this ofcourse is dependant on Bury being in the financial mire, if they are not, i have no idea why it would be bury linked with the story to begin with, and certainly wouldnt even be a starter.

I've been thinking about this, if we buy Bury then take their place in Division 1, we could easily give the ground back to the Bury fans who could form a new supporters owned club in the north west counties league and attempt to fight their way back up the leagues, not ideal for Bury but their fans would own their club and still have their stadium to play out of.

I aint too clued up in the rules, but isn't it against the rules for the same person / consortium to own 2 European clubs?

If true, then that would rule it out, as Green & co would presumably own Rangers & Bury at one point

I've been thinking about this, if we buy Bury then take their place in Division 1, we could easily give the ground back to the Bury fans who could form a new supporters owned club in the north west counties league and attempt to fight their way back up the leagues, not ideal for Bury but their fans would own their club and still have their stadium to play out of.

yup, if this story has any truth in it (which i doubt) then i think this would be the scenario. But why would Bury want that if it means relegation from League 1 down to the conference or regional leagues? The only reason i could see would be if they were going bust and had no other options, not even a fan buyout. But they arent even in administration, so unless Green stepped in with a crazy bid of £15m or somthing it doesnt seem to make a lick of sense.

I aint too clued up in the rules, but isn't it against the rules for the same person / consortium to own 2 European clubs?

If true, then that would rule it out, as Green & co would presumably own Rangers & Bury at one point

Romanov owns Kaunus, and Hertz, and someone else am sure.

I'm being serious now. But does anyone actually know any of the rules about the possibilities of this.

I still believe it's a very poor attempt by 'supposedly clued up' business men to hold the SFA to ransom.

We need to be smarter than this. In fact we should start a thread of ideas.

I'm being serious now. But does anyone actually know any of the rules about the possibilities of this.

I still believe it's a very poor attempt by 'supposedly clued up' business men to hold the SFA to ransom.

I won't claim to be an expert on it either but I'd be pretty surprised if the idea wasn't brought to a halt at some point IF it was actually attempted.

not sure about the rules, but if the bury fans or shareholders didnt want i to happen, they would complain to the EFL/FA and no way in hell would they let it happen. Bury would need a reason to want to do it.

transfer of membership from 1 club to another i think is untested waters. Clubs in the divisions below could be furious about us essentially buying our way in.

However, Leeds did transfer their membership when they newco'd and got a 15 point deduction, but were allowed to stay in the league. it did stay within the same club however.

There is also precedent set for non-english teams (cardiff/swansea).

it could be we would need to buy a membership and then win a vote.

So as far as the rules go, im really not sure, but i do think Charles Green will have some weight with the English League set up, given his past experience. Given our situation, id be surprised if he wasnt in dialouge with the chairmen of the EFL & other english club chairmen and exploring every avenue right now.

33 members, 61 "guests" reading this thread. Hmmm Kiddyfiddler Street will be on red alert methinks!

The 'diddy brigade' from Pie & Bovril seem to spend many of their waking hours in here too.

I won't claim to be an expert on it either but I'd be pretty surprised if the idea wasn't brought to a halt at some point IF it was actually attempted.

We might see another recourse to the courts. Could be very interesting.