Player suspended for IRA tweet

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/coventry-city-player-deegans-ira-tweet-probed-16177868.html

Coventry City player Deegan's IRA tweet probed

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Coventry City's Gary Deegan

Coventry City's Gary Deegan

Championship football player Gary Deegan is under investigation after posting a pro-IRA slogan on Twitter.

Coventry City FC launched the probe after the midfielder sparked outrage by posting “Up the IRA” on Saturday.

Dubliner Deegan publicly made the comments to his Scottish-born teammate James McPake who has been called up for international duty by Northern Ireland.

Though he quickly apologised, some fans said he was a “disgrace”, according to the Irish Daily Star.

Nope, I hear and see quite alot of taigs use this chant.

Obviosuly before a brick is merged into their heads.

Ah ok! I wasn't aware. It seemed very strange to me. I thought it seemed like a dig at the IRA.

BBC did not report what he tweeted

Suprising eh!

Do you mean his actual quote or the fact that he got pull up for tweeting?

Because they said this.

Gary Deegan suspended by Coventry City over Twitter post

Coventry City are to investigate a post by Gary Deegan on Twitter and have suspended the Irish midfielder from training for two weeks.

A statement on the Sky Blues' website said: "Neither the club or the player will be making any further statements while the investigation is on going."

The 24-year-old has been at Coventry since joining them from League of Ireland club Bohemians in January 2010.

The Coventry players are due to report back for pre-season training on Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18625727