Why Murray will never win a major

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the 2012 Australian Open which made me convinced he'd win something. Even though he lost the Semi in 5 sets to Novak it was the best I'd ever seen him play - coincidentally, I think it was the first tournament where he had Lendl as a coach.

Before that I didn't think he'd do it. Perennial Semi finalist/finalist but never make it over the line.

Fuck sake bumping a year old thread when so much has happened since then outwith murray

A fully fit nadal and a federer thats more interested would have made it much harder for murray, he had a free run to the final

This isn't really how sport works.

He had a free run, he only went two sets down to Verdasco in some sort of cunning double bluff. The crafty fox.

It's a bit like saying Federer's first Wimbledon doesn't count because he didn't play Hewitt, Sampras and Agassi.

I thought a while back he'd never make it and be another Henman but he's certainly come on leaps and bounds.

Would echo McEnroe's thoughts on him winning six or so grand slams (tu)

Murray has been far more than another Henman since he was 20.

A fully fit nadal and a federer thats more interested would have made it much harder for murray, he had a free run to the final

Might have made it more difficult but I reckon Andy would have beaten them both. He did beat Novak after all and he is the best player in the world.

One thing I would say, though, is Andy maybe had the easier semi-final, but still.

ps, Is Roger really "uninterested" or just over the hill?

Some seem to believe there are only 3 or 4 quality tennis players.

I had never heard of that Polish boy Murray played in the Semi’s but I was very impressed at his level for a 22 year old.

He is going to be some player IMO and that monster serve will have most in trouble.

Murray has nothing to prove anymore, he’s already defeated the best Tennis player of all time at the final of the Olympic games while beating the greatest player currently twice in the US open and Wimbledon final.

People will downplay it to suit there arguments but the facts are he is a world class Tennis player who is up there with the best of them with plenty of time to continue to improve.

Murray's big turnaround seems to have been dispatching 'mummy' to the side-lines and bringing Ivan Lendl on board. A winning player often needs a winning coach. Murray has appeared more focused since Lendl teamed up with him and he would appear to have finally developed that competitive edge that separates very good players from truly great players.

I had never heard of that Polish boy Murray played in the Semi's but I was very impressed at his level for a 22 year old.

He is going to be some player IMO and that monster serve will have most in trouble.

Murray has nothing to prove anymore, he's already defeated the best Tennis player of all time at the final of the Olympic games while beating the greatest player currently twice in the US open and Wimbledon final.

People will downplay it to suit there arguments but the facts are he is a world class Tennis player who is up there with the best of them with plenty of time to continue to improve.

Abso-bloody-exactly.

The people that say "but he didn't do it this way.." are the ones that would find something else to nitpick on regardless.

I think what's overlooked is Murray's outstanding defensive game. He out-aced that Polish lad by some distance in the semi, despite the serves getting thrown at him. Yes, Djokovic didn't play brilliantly, but a lot of that was down to Murray not allowing him to play so well.

No. He's still 2,950 points behind Djokavic. He would have got 2,000 points for winning and Djokavic 1,200 for being runner up.

And both improved their points tally on last year, so it didn't make that much difference. Looking at the maths it would be very difficult for him to close the gap before the end of the year. Both of them could actually be overtaken by Rafael Nadal who isn't defending any points now until the clay court season starts next spring.

Still coming to terms with the way Andy won, there was something different in his bearing over the course of that Wimbledon, I can't wait to see if he can carry this on to the Masters events and the US open.

Still coming to terms with the way Andy won, there was something different in his bearing over the course of that Wimbledon, I can't wait to see if he can carry this on to the Masters events and the US open.

Favourite for the US open for sure! I simply cant see him not winning more grand slams, think him and Djokovic will be the 2 to beat for maybe the next 2 years at least. Del potro and Tsonga are still young too and could win a slam each within the next year, such an exciting sport to watch!

I was really impressed with Murray in that last game. Even going from 40-0 up he still kept his nerve. His second serves especially were out the top drawer and he didn't double fault and throw it away.

I think Djokovica and Murray will play each other for a few more slams yet - Del Potro is a great player but still seems a little shaky physically, Nadals knees seem fucked unless he is on clay and Federer is starting to slip.

I was really impressed with Murray in that last game. Even going from 40-0 up he still kept his nerve. His second serves especially were out the top drawer and he didn't double fault and throw it away.

I think Djokovica and Murray will play each other for a few more slams yet - Del Potro is a great player but still seems a little shaky physically, Nadals knees seem fucked unless he is on clay and Federer is starting to slip.

Djokovic normaly gets right in about Andys 2nd serves, notice he was having to pull them out the air about shoulder height.