Rangers will get out of the 3rd division if they keep Lee McCulloch

PRW.

Airdrie star Paul Di Giacomo: Newco Rangers will get out of Division Three if they keep Lee McCulloch

Jul 20 2012 By Scott McDermott

Lee McCulloch Image 2

PAUL DI GIACOMO got up close and personal with the newco Rangers and reckons the rest of the Third Division won’t be able to touch the Ibrox side.

The Airdrie hitman played against Ally McCoist’s decimated team on Tuesday night at Murray Park – their first game since the oldco’s liquidation.

It ended in a 2-1 victory for the Ibrox side, thanks to goals from Lee Wallace and youngster Lewis McLeod, in a warm-up for their SFL campaign.

McCoist’s men kick-off their season with a Ramsdens Cup clash next weekend against Brechin before life in the Third Division starts with a trip to Peterhead on August 11.

The manager is fearful of an SFA transfer ban scuppering his newco side’s hopes of a quick-fire promotion.

But Di Giacomo believes they have enough in their locker now and should romp away with the title.

And his gaffer even reckons Gers possess enough quality to run away with the First Division.

Di Giacomo said: “Rangers still looked like a solid team, with international players. They have Neil Alexander in goal, Kirk Broadfoot at centre-back and Wallace at left-back.

“In midfield, Kyle Hutton has decent experience now and other youngsters such as McLeod were of a really good standard – you can tell they’ve come through the Murray Park system.

“But the main man is big Lee McCulloch up front. If Rangers hold on to him, they won’t have a problem.

“He’s a leader on the pitch and made the game look easy at times. He’s a real handful and he’ll be key for Rangers.

“If they keep him and the other international boys, I can see them getting out of the Third Division comfortably.

“A transfer embargo would certainly make it more difficult. But even if they didn’t sign anyone I don’t see why they couldn’t win it.

“If they do get a ban, they can’t afford any of the big four to go. If the ban is lifted, I’m sure they’ll sign experienced Scottish boys to see them through.”

Jimmy Boyle agrees the Ibrox squad are not short on ability. The Airdrie boss said: “Even some of the youngsters they brought in looked good.

“I suspect they would be too strong for anyone in the First Division, so I can’t see them struggling in the Third.”

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2012/07/20/airdrie-star-paul-di-giacomo-newco-rangers-will-get-out-of-division-three-if-they-keep-lee-mcculloch-86908-23910448/

Nice to hear both quotes from Di Giacomo and the manager saying that the youngsters look good.

Jig will do us proud as always.

I left for |Turkey last Friday, not been up to scratch with who's left now? anyone left since last Friday?

Edu's apparently off to Valencia, Kerkar's on a trial at Charlton, Goian's supposed to be off to a German team. Bocanegra expected to go.

If Lee can show the commitment, passion and versatility he showed at the end of last season, he'll do us just fine.

Nice comments but is this smacks of the record trying to put forward a case that there is no reason that a transfer embargo should be handed down as we are strong enough already. Don't trust this lot an inch, could they also possibly be trying to raise a stink that we have played a friendly without a licence rather than the training match it was? Each to their own but like I say trust is hardly a word that I would use regarding what the record has degenrated into in recent times.

Edu's apparently off to Valencia, Kerkar's on a trial at Charlton, Goian's supposed to be off to a German team. Bocanegra expected to go.

If Lee can show the commitment, passion and versatility he showed at the end of last season, he'll do us just fine.

Valencia eh, thats a good move for him. Did he transfer over to the newco?

I thought Kerkar would maybe have stayed.

Cheers for the updatde, still reading up on all the other shit since last Friday.

Jig will be top goalscorer provided he is in his forward position, he will always be in our history for what he is doing, I know it may be easier with his age to decide as he does but Lee would still manage a decent wage somewhere.

Cheers for the updatde, still reading up on all the other shit since last Friday.

He did and we should be getting 300k for him, not nearly as much as we should under normal circumstances but its vital right now.

300k fee expected for him. Kerkar was a slight disappointment, Bedoya has been involved in some closed door games, so could possibly be one to stay.

Apparently Black's deal has been cancelled since it was Division One only, but he was in the papers the other day saying he wouldn't completely rule out Third Division. I think he's perhaps had a look round and seen no one is particularly interested...

Apparently Black's deal has been cancelled since it was Division One only, but he was in the papers the other day saying he wouldn't completely rule out Third Division. I think he's perhaps had a look round and seen no one is particularly interested...

Yeah, I mean is he ever going to have the chance to play for a club like ours infrony of 50,000 fans? I very much doubt it.

We certainly need to bulk up on our numbers, hopefully it get's sorted out soon. Murder trying to catch up and it's only been 7 days ffs.

Couldn't get a Scottish paper in Marmaris and the english ones had fuck all in them about us.

I still think McCulloch needs support in the form of a somewhat experienced striker to share the load.

He will cruise SD3 but he is close to his mid 30's now and he has had lots of injury problems too.

It doesn't need to be a superstar, somebody like Rory McAllister would do.

I think we need an experienced centre midfielder and an experiences forward.

I have to be honest and say that over the last few years I was not a big fan of Lee at all. I would often cringe when I saw his name on the teamsheet. He isn't the most skillful or mobile player but his attitude since we went into admin has really won me over.

If he stays with us until we get back into the top division then he will be 37 and unlikely to be able to continue playing at a good enough standard but he would have given us 8 years service. I would like to see him granted a testimonial then, even though he would be a few years short of the normal ten years. Would anyone begrudge him that?

Edit: I would also give the same to Kirk (another player I have criticised heavly over the years) and Alexander if they stay too until we return to top division.