Beattie and Kafes latest, kevin kyle trialing

Ricky_

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/336422/Gers-Beattie-deal-in-balance

RANGERS last night offered Craig Beattie a contract, but he has a more lucrative deal on the table from League One side Notts County.

The former Celtic and Hearts striker, below, is weighing up his options after spending last week on trial with the Light Blues.

Rangers’ offer to Beattie, 28, is believed to be linked to the number of games he plays given his past injury problems.

Ibrox boss Ally McCoist currently has former Hearts hitman Kevin Kyle, 31, on trial and several foreign options up his sleeve.

Talks are still ongoing with Greek international midfielder Pantelis Kafes, with the deal close to completion.

first i heard of Kevin Kyle trialing. He would be a decent signing for the lower leagues. Kafes is also over 30, so you have to imagnie signing Kafes & Kyle would be short term options to help us climb the ranks.

Think we are really desperate for some width frankly. Also think we require a right back with more attacking prowess than Kirk

That was obvious in the Brechin game...we did not have much width at all and Brechin packed it in waiting for the counter. That will be the norm in the SFL

Think we are really desperate for some width frankly. Also think we require a right back with more attacking prowess than Kirk

I agree, Wallace can support the attack as all good full-backs can but the same can't be said abour Broadfoot. I admire kirks loyalty and would prefer him to goain at CB. Maybe one of the younger, quicker lads like Cole could do a job at) to save bringing in players that will be due to retire by the time we're back at the top

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/336422/Gers-Beattie-deal-in-balance

first i heard of Kevin Kyle trialing. He would be a decent signing for the lower leagues. Kafes is also over 30, so you have to imagnie signing Kafes & Kyle would be short term options to help us climb the ranks.

I knew the physio at Hearts who went with Jim Jeffries from Kilmarnock. He told me ages ago last season that Kevin was pretty much finished as he has had so much work done on his hip.

Not sure he'd be what we want in a physical Div3 league.

we should avoid Kevin Kyle and Beattie what foreign options have we got I would imagine there are tons of better players than Kyle and Beattie we could get. I disagree about replacing Broadfoot the abuse he gets on here is fucking pathetic he didn't play badly against Brechin either but people just abuse him regardless. I would agree about us lacking width badly a winger with pace is a must and if Bocanegra leaves we need another defender perhaps Reynolds and same goes for Edu is/when he leaves we will need another CM.

we should avoid Kevin Kyle and Beattie what foreign options have we got I would imagine there are tons of better players than Kyle and Beattie we could get. I disagree about replacing Broadfoot the abuse he gets on here is fucking pathetic he didn't play badly against Brechin either but people just abuse him regardless. I would agree about us lacking width badly a winger with pace is a must and if Bocanegra leaves we need another defender perhaps Reynolds and same goes for Edu is/when he leaves we will need another CM.

I've generally been a defender of Broadfoot against his detractors but I thought he was rather poor against Brechin (Him and Goian looked more off the pace than most) - Think he will pick up and don't think he's a bad option at our level but I think we desperately require a full back with more attacking capabilities. He's a trier but he's not got a lot going forward. As much as I hate Whittaker, he offered our best attacking threats in the whole team at the times where he was on form

I've generally been a defender of Broadfoot against his detractors but I thought he was rather poor against Brechin (Him and Goian looked more off the pace than most) - Think he will pick up and don't think he's a bad option at our level but I think we desperately require a full back with more attacking capabilities. He's a trier but he's not got a lot going forward. As much as I hate Whittaker, he offered our best attacking threats in the whole team at the times where he was on form

Whittaker also cost us around 10 goals a season and his attackig play last season was shite aswell he had one good attacking season where he scored about 10 goals from open play but last season and the seasons before he only really scored penalties and his distribution was absoloutley dire. Goian looked off the pace sure but just because it was down the right hand side doesn't mean Broadfoot was at fault he generally got forward as much as he could he wasn't brilliant but he wasn't shite he was just ok for our first game back without a pre season. We are in the bloody 3rd division we don't need money to buy a quality full back to get someone of Wallace's quality will cost us over a million pounds.

Whittaker also cost us around 10 goals a season and his attackig play last season was shite aswell he had one good attacking season where he scored about 10 goals from open play but last season and the seasons before he only really scored penalties and his distribution was absoloutley dire. Goian looked off the pace sure but just because it was down the right hand side doesn't mean Broadfoot was at fault he generally got forward as much as he could he wasn't brilliant but he wasn't shite he was just ok for our first game back without a pre season. We are in the bloody 3rd division we don't need money to buy a quality full back to get someone of Wallace's quality will cost us over a million pounds.

Alright, we're only discussing here, no need to get excited. I'll have to take your word on Whittaker last season, I seem to remember Broadfoot dropping a few clangers too (St Mirren's last minute equaliser at Ibrox sticks in the craw). I'm not saying Whittaker was a brilliant player, either defensively or in an attacking sense. What i'm saying is that when he was playing to a decent level, he gave the team an outlet that Broadfoot simply cannot give. It's not even necessarily about how many goals he scored or how many assist he had, just his attacking nature at times gave the team a width and a creativity which was often missing. Again, not singing his praises, just saying he is the type of full back we should be looking for, an attack-minded one, rather than a converted centre half.

And again, its just opinion, I thought Broadfoot and Goian had very poor games, but I realise that this is essentially our preseason. I'm not suggesting we go buy a costly full back. I'm not even suggesting we sign a talented and established full back. My point simply is, that with the way teams will play against us, an overlapping and attack-minded full back is something which I feel we could certainly use. Who that individual is, I have no idea, just think this is an area we could certainly strengthen, along with the wide midfield areas

people saying avoid Kevin Kyle should remember the league we are in at the moment. The guy looks like he practices headers with a fucking brick, just what we need considering the style of football played in Division 3. I expect to lose a lot of players throughout the season from scything tackles from the teams we will be up against, players like Kyle and Black will even games up if the opposition are taking the piss with their tackles.

Can we please remember that we are playing in Scottish Division 3? Broadfoot was starting Champions League games not so long back. He'll do fine as our right back. No point spending money on the sort of quality we really don't need. Brechin was (the equivalent of) our first pre-season friendly with a squad full of new faces. If we lost our first friendly to a lower league German team (!) we would think little of it. Let's just get back to where we belong quickly and with minimum fuss.

Wish people would stop seeing my comment as an attack on Broadfoot. It really isn't. All i'm saying is that an attacking full back would be handy in a league in which many teams may stick many men behind the ball and we require another outlet to flood our attack

I get what you're saying. I just think we have to adapt our mindsets as fans to the fact that we are in SFL3. It's not natural as Gers fans, but it is what it is.

I have to say, I'm actually a bit concerned that the type of player we are signing is too good (never thought i'd say that!). Shiels was a POTY nominee last season FFS! I guess Green thinks he has to keep us fans interested, and maybe he has a point. But I just want us on as strong a financial footing as possible in 3 years time.

Would also add (again, never thought i'd say it), that our signing policy this month should focus more on quantity than quality. We had four subs against Brechin. If we are to have any problems at all this season (and next), it will be due to lack of fit players rather than lack of quality IMO.

I get what you're saying. I just think we have to adapt our mindsets as fans to the fact that we are in SFL3. It's not natural as Gers fans, but it is what it is.

I have to say, I'm actually a bit concerned that the type of player we are signing is too good (never thought i'd say that!). Shiels was a POTY nominee last season FFS! I guess Green thinks he has to keep us fans interested, and maybe he has a point. But I just want us on as strong a financial footing as possible in 3 years time.

Would also add (again, never thought i'd say it), that our signing policy this month should focus more on quantity than quality. We had four subs against Brechin. If we are to have any problems at all this season (and next), it will be due to lack of fit players rather than lack of quality IMO.

Adapting to a lesser league doesn't mean not still trying to play as good a brand of football as possible. The attacking full back i'd like might well be some unknown kid from the junior leagues for all I care, not about quality but about how we look to play the game. Attacking full backs, for the team we have, I think are crucial. That is, unless Ally finds a couple of gems of wide players. For now, I cannot see one naturally wide player in our entire squad, hence, my hopes we can sign an attacking right back.

As for quality, i'm not too worried. Pretty confident Green wouldn't overspend on players unless he could. I suppose, in relation to other SFL3 sides, we will be bringing in crowds possibly 100x the size of average SFL3 home attendences every other week. While I appreciate we will have higher running costs, i'd imagine we have a little more leeway. Also, don't discount the draw that the club still has to some. Think we may well lose a few big earners yet too, so things will sort themselves out.

As for numbers, there were a couple of boys who weren't registered as of yet for Sunday there and pretty sure we still have a few youth players who weren't considered for the game as they'd played the day before in a friendly

I don't want Kyle or Beattie; happy we signed Shiels though.

This.

Not too fussed on either. Would rather we went for younger longer term options who can develop and probably be sold on 3/4 years down the line for a good fee.

We need width, and Ivan Sproule another NI Bear could be useful for us in the climb back up the tables....would cost little and wages would not be much either. Another option would be Andy driver...who hasn't had much action of late.

I agree, Wallace can support the attack as all good full-backs can but the same can't be said abour Broadfoot. I admire kirks loyalty and would prefer him to goain at CB. Maybe one of the younger, quicker lads like Cole could do a job at) to save bringing in players that will be due to retire by the time we're back at the top

agree in principle, but we cant be looking at every signing like "will they play well in SPL" as we have a few twist and turns to go through first.

although it would be good if we could make that our policy on new players, we should be bringing in enough to see us past this league and our transfer ban.

agree with the players we have been looking at so far and this will save us a bob or 2 in the time being also.

Would be good if we could get somebody who could defend as well. Big Kirk just cant cut it at any level. Good attitude though.

I'd take Beattie anyway, he impressed me at Hearts at the end of last season. However at the same time, it wouldn't break my heart if he went to Notts County.

Same here, if he's "weighing up a lucrative offer" from Notts County then I'm not bothered either way. We need players who can play on the wings but knowing Ally he'll throw Little and Shiels out there. A right-back is needed although I though that's where Darren Cole played?

We need width, and Ivan Sproule another NI Bear could be useful for us in the climb back up the tables....would cost little and wages would not be much either. Another option would be Andy driver...who hasn't had much action of late.

I think Ivan Sproule would rip apart every full back in Div. 3 with his searing pace.

Div. 3 is like the bottom end of Div 1 25 years ago, so I think a good "target man" is needed - Kevin Kyle would fit the bill very nicely.

I like the look of Black as a holding midfielder, he looked ok for 60 minutes at Brechin until the lack of pre-season caught up with him. Let's all remember that Brechin are one league above where Rangers are right now and; for the majority of the match; the Teddy Bears outclassed them.

I agree with the other OP that Broadfoot would be better in the CB position than at FB, so I would like to see a decent pacey but decent defensive FB purchased by Rangers during the small transfer window.

WATP.