Sellout Saturday

jdocherty72

The Edinburgh Derby was over 2000 down on last season. Sellics flag day was over 9000 down on their previous flag day. Kille v Rangers would have been 3000 more than Kille v Dundee and St Mirren were 1000 light of the opening fixture last year.

The only ones bucking the trend are United and Aberdeen but my money is on it wont last.

(tu)

Will get worse once the filth pick up the trophy early as well.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SELL OUT SATURDAY.

You remember that? The wee campaign aimed at bringing “supporters back to the Scottish game”, a campaign that disguises it’s obsession with Rangers behind a so-called genuine drive to bring the fans flocking back to their local clubs and put bums onto those empty seats. We’re not stupid, their motives are as fraudulent as a two pound note, and any insistence that this is an “ongoing campaign” just embarrasses them further.

Yesterday was the big day, and it flopped. Massively. Is it any surprise that this whole thing is the brainchild of the Aberdeen Supporters Trust and the Daily Record? Says it all, doesn’t it? What makes it even more amusing is that last Monday, the very newspaper backing the campaign ran a story on Sell Out Saturday being last weekend and hailed it a success, yet it was actually beginning yesterday. Further embarrassment, that not only can they not fill the empty seats without motive or incentive, but that the organising and backing body can’t even get their own dates correct.

As I was flicking through the channels yesterday morning on Sky, I noticed a bloke from the Aberdeen Supporters Trust going on about how they hoped to get between 15,000 and 18,000 into the ground and that, if they did this, it would make up the loss of Rangers two visits and make up the loss to their average attendance last season.

Aberdeen’s average home attendance last season was 8,770. So if they got 15,000 bums on seats for the game against Ross County, that would represent an increase of 6230 people. However, how can it be claimed it would make up the loss to the average attendance, in one game, when an average attendance is decided by the total number of people divided by the amount of games played. You can’t declare the whole thing a whopping success by taking the increased gate of ONE match and comparing it the average gate for an ENTIRE season. To maintain that increase to your average of 6230, you’d need to maintain that increased attendance for a season.

Let’s say Aberdeen got 15,000 for the visit of Ross County’s as well as the two visits of Celtic, but resorted back to last seasons average of 8770 for the other 35 SPL games, that would work out at 9,262 as their 2012/13 average, an increase of just 492 people on the 2011/12 average of 8770. So you see, to gain that increase to your average, you need to maintain it over an entire season, not just ONE game as these people are claiming.

Ironically, Aberdeen’s biggest home gate of last season was against Rangers, which drew a crowd of 15,468 on October 29th 2011. This is compared to 12,497 and 13,127 on Celtic’s two trips to Pittodrie that season, proving my theoretical 15,000 figure above to be even more generous.

Aberdeen, and the Record, are claiming that Sell Out Saturday will help clubs replace the income lost by the loss of Rangers to the SPL. I think it’s clear to see that with the average gate last season being what it was, and Rangers bringing 6698 people ABOVE that average gate Aberdeen managed last season, this won’t be the case.

Yes, on the face of things, Aberdeen yesterday replaced the income lost by the visit of Rangers if the visit of Ross County drew a 15,000 crowd, 6230 vs 6698. However that’s only after ONE game, and it amazes me that this fact is lost on people that for the increase to truly count, the increase must be retained season long.

This entire campaign, regardless of how it is marketed, packaged, and sold is nothing but a woefully inept incentive to get people to somehow pay money to watch the teams they claim to support. You shouldn’t need an incentive to support your team, you shouldn’t need to have a feeling of overwhelming “GIRUY” to go and buy a ticket for your club. You should only need one thing, a genuine love and affection for your club.

Buying a ticket, the journey to the ground, the clicking of the turnstile, the smell of the air inside the stadium, walking up those stairs into the stand, seeing the pitch in the sunshine, hearing the PA, watching the players warm up ... that’s what supporting Rangers gives me, that’s why I want to buy a ticket, that’s why I want to go to Ibrox, because it’s only there were I can feel those feelings. I don’t do it through incentive, through misguided loyalty, or through a feeling of vendetta.

I do it because I love it, I do it because I love my club, I do it because I take pride in the jersey and the crest which adorns it.

I do it because it’s Rangers.

Sellout Saturday was over two weeks to account for every esh pee hell club showing their first home gate attendances.

Ok,the tainted title flag was lowered at Parkhead in front of only 48,000.

Kilmarnock's attendance was a cool 6,500,but 3000 were from Dundee.

Hearts 13,000.

St Midden 4,000.

Arabs 7,600. C how long that lasts.

Sheep dip suckers 14,000. Ewes will get frustrated soon.

Dundee 6,000. Hats off to them.

I C T 3000. Well there's no boozers near the stadium.

Motherwell 4,000. Tam Cowan was missing.

Hibernian v HEARTS only 13,000. They couldny sell out Leith high street.

Ross County v tic. Sorry the spl gave Celic time off to play a meaningless friendly in the USA and wouldn't move the goalposts in May 2008 for us .

"Sell-out Saturday falls at the first hurdle. I blame the shadowy figures behind CHARLES GREEN and his shadowy consortium of shadowy money men....yaddah-yaddah-whinge-complain-whinge.....they are not the Troo Bloo How-Do-You-Do non-shadowy G'Nights....."

(Copyright D. Leggat, deceased) :sherlock:

I can't see it happening - but if it does, I reckon there will more at Ibrox than the rest of Scottish (League) football put together.

My estimates :

Ross County - Celtic (5,500) Actual attendance : 6,110

Hearts - Inverness CT (12,000) Actual attendance : 11,512

Kilmarnock - Motherwell (5,000) Actual attendance : 4,969

St. Johnstone - Aberdeen (4,500) Actual attendance : 4,857

TOTAL = 27,000

I had missed out St. Mirren v Hibernian (actual attendance 5,039)

If there are around 15,000 at the other 14 SFL games the total attendance in Scotland excluding the Rangers game will be around 42,000. Actual attendance at the fourteen SFL games : 14,789

The bit at the start refers to people anticipating over 45,000 at Ibrox - well I got that wrong when I said I didn't see it happening. I was pretty close with my estimates. I've impressed myself.

Absolutely spot on. With the Edinburgh derby there's only one at Easter Road to compare with from last season due the separation after the split.

Mon 2 January 2012, 12:15pm

Hibernian 1 - 3 Hearts Attendance: 15013

Sun 12 August 2012, 12:30pm

Hibernian 1 - 1 Hearts Attendance: 12887

Can't argue with those figures although to be fair the school uniforms had to be bought this week.

:lol: :lol: :lol: