Hillsborough Enquiry

scottyc06

If you want to lay some of the blame for the disaster on impatient fans pushing and shoving then you are one cold hearted fucker who seemingly lives in a World of black and white, good and evil, right and wrong with absolutely no middle ground. I fear there is no point in debating further, your mind is made up and so is mine.

That is a ridiculous comment, given that this enquiry seems to have been designed to put the blame fully on the police. (because of course they are just an institution, and blaming those individual officers couldn't count as cold-hearted could it?)

There were many factors in this, and where you are right, is that we need to get away from the black and white of it all, but it is now turning into a witch hunt for people, and not particularly relating to the truth.

The police chief who was forced to apologise this week had his comments described by Nick Clegg as 'ill-judged and insensitive', not untrue interestingly.

The most important thing that you can take from a disaster of this scale is to learn lessons and ensure it doesn't happen again.

What else can be done to that end?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone who is making comments about this read the report?

Yes, do you think it tells the whole story of that fateful day?

Were you standing on packed terracing back in those days, because I doubt that many of that panel did so.

Did you look into the backgrounds of those nine 'independents' who compiled the report, and if so, did the findings come as any great surprise?

Yes, do you think it tells the whole story of that fateful day?

Were you standing on packed terracing back in those days, because I doubt that many of that panel did so.

Did you look into the backgrounds of those nine 'independents' who compiled the report, and if so, did the findings come as any great surprise?

Yes I did attend football matches in the 80's, the police treated us like dogshit, vermin and thugs, but I had never been to hilsborough for a match.

Some of the things in this report I suspected but not the things like police changing witness statements and testing the bodies of children for alcohol so they could pin it on the supporters.

Lets not kid ourselves, this could have been ANY club's supporters, the fact it was liverpool does not matter to me, the attitude that it was just 'those bloody scousers at it again' has been one that has told again and again in the years after it. I had friends I was talking to on the day of the disaster and afterwords who had been in the leppings lane end who weren't suprised in the slightest when the trouble started to filter through, it was only a matter of time before there was a serious problem there.

Yes I did attend football matches in the 80's, the police treated us like dogshit, vermin and thugs, but I had never been to hilsborough for a match.

Some of the things in this report I suspected but not the things like police changing witness statements and testing the bodies of children for alcohol so they could pin it on the supporters.

Lets not kid ourselves, this could have been ANY club's supporters, the fact it was liverpool does not matter to me, the attitude that it was just 'those bloody scousers at it again' has been one that has told again and again in the years after it. I had friends I was talking to on the day of the disaster and afterwords who had been in the leppings lane end who weren't suprised in the slightest when the trouble started to filter through, it was only a matter of time before there was a serious problem there.

In 1980 I attended the FA Cup Semi Final at Hillsborough between Liverpool and Arsenal. I stood right behind the goal as a young teenager and got pinned onto a barrier. I managed to raise myself up so my hips were on the bar. My skin was torn badly on both sides with extensive bruising but nothing worse. In 1989 I had two tickets for the Leppings Lane End. I attended the match with my girlfriend who was only 5ft 1ins. I told her we would try and swap the tickets because of my previous experience on that terrace. We eventually swapped at 2.45 and got two stand tickets. I have no idea who took our tickets or what happened to them. Sometimes you have to take a good look at yourself and realise how lucky you are. I knew one person who died, only 17yrs old. It was Liverpool but could easily have been another team at the same ground or elsewhere. Anyone want any further information about this match or Heysel ( I was there too) please ask.