Hillsborough Enquiry

scottyc06

Families of the 96 Liverpool football fans killed at Hillsborough and smeared in an establishment cover-up have waited 23 years for this day.

The truth – and we mean an accurate account of the disaster, not the grotesque lies spread by Margaret Thatcher’s government – is a victory for the relatives, friends and supporters of those who had the life crushed out of them that afternoon in Sheffield.

Without the campaign, the panel reviewing the dreadful events would never have been set up, today’s report would never have been published and as many as half a million pages of evidence would never be released.

The cold details from 1989 will undoubtedly be harrowing, bringing back painful memories and underlining how lives were needlessly lost by blundering public officials. Nothing can bring back the men, women and children who never went home from a FA Cup tie.

But we sincerely hope the truth gives grieving families some comfort, the justice they deserve and perhaps, too, closure.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question so please don't be offended.

Why is this still an issue? It was 23 years ago and I think it is almost certain that the fans were partly to blame for it so what is the point of this? To try to place the blame on the police?

I know mistakes were made by many but why not just accept that it was a horrible accident and let it rest?

'The Truth' will never be known and it's strange that they chose to use it a couple of times in that short piece given what was said by The Sun. There are already claims that it will not provide all the answers because evidence was destroyed by the police and they suppressed information.

Good old vengeance is what is really being sought in this whole campaign, and if they had admitted that from the start, I for one would have had a bit more empathy with what they were doing.

I believe that some Liverpool fans need to hold their hands up to a portion ofd the blame here.

Turning up in large numbers, late, some drunk and some with no tickets forced the Police to handle the outside in a way that was not done well. But, the film at the time of Liverpool fans outside the ground, climbing over the gates and then kicking them to try to break in, for me, indicates that the holier-than-thou attitude of the majority of Liverpool apologists is merely covering up for the criminal actions of the few.

By all means remember the 96, punish the Police, politicians and the ground owners, but NEVER forget that this came about because some Liverpool fans created a situation whereby some very dubious decisions had to be taken, on the run, in order to prevent serious disorder and problems outside the ground.

If the whole Hillsborough memorial industry would just stand up and say, yes, some Liverpool fans were in part contributory to this disaster, I, for one, would have less emnity to the whole thing.

I believe that some Liverpool fans need to hold their hands up to a portion ofd the blame here.

Turning up in large numbers, late, some drunk and some with no tickets forced the Police to handle the outside in a way that was not done well. But, the film at the time of Liverpool fans outside the ground, climbing over the gates and then kicking them to try to break in, for me, indicates that the holier-than-thou attitude of the majority of Liverpool apologists is merely covering up for the criminal actions of the few.

By all means remember the 96, punish the Police, politicians and the ground owners, but NEVER forget that this came about because some Liverpool fans created a situation whereby some very dubious decisions had to be taken, on the run, in order to prevent serious disorder and problems outside the ground.

If the whole Hillsborough memorial industry would just stand up and say, yes, some Liverpool fans were in part contributory to this disaster, I, for one, would have less emnity to the whole thing.

That's a lie that's dealt with in the Taylor Report. Duckenworth ordered the gate to be opened. The 'drunk and ticketless' line was fed to the press by the police.

http://www.telegraph...y-unfolded.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-19543964

Disaster report to be released:

http://www.guardian....l-released-live

As far as I can tell, there is no new evidence. Merely evidence that has only just been looked at for the first time.

Anyway, Cameron just offered a 'profound apology' in the house of commons (literally 10 minutes ago) to the families of Hillsborough victims and admitted there was an orchestrated cover up and attempt to shift blame onto Liverpool fans

Sheffield Wednesday FC also offer an apology

I think there's a few people who posted on the 'Liverpool fans and The Sun' thread who also owe an apology.

Instead of neg-repping me like the wee boy you are, why don't you be man enough to admit you're wrong?

http://www.telegraph...y-unfolded.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-19543964

Disaster report to be released:

http://www.guardian....l-released-live

As far as I can tell, there is no new evidence. Merely evidence that has only just been looked at for the first time.

Anyway, Cameron just offered a 'profound apology' in the house of commons (literally 10 minutes ago) to the families of Hillsborough victims and admitted there was an orchestrated cover up and attempt to shift blame onto Liverpool fans

Sheffield Wednesday FC also offer an apology

I think there's a few people who posted on the 'Liverpool fans and The Sun' thread who also owe an apology.

Why don't you name them in order to get 'accountability'.

my worry with this is that it goes down the route of the Bloody Sunday Inquest - they wanted soldiers to take the stand without anonymity.

thankfully that never happened, but how many police officers will be put in this situation? Officers who were following orders on the day?

I completely understand the need for vindication of the dead where there has been fault, but retrospective punitive measures against the police in a public court will only result in chaos.

Truly shocking stuff in this report: 164 police statements altered to put blame on the fans, ambulancemen made to change statements, nearly half the victims could have been saved instead of dying even after the tragedy unfolded.

I agree with wilbearry, anyone still blaming drunk scousers needs to have a long, hard look at themselves. Wonder where Kelvin MacKenzie is hiding just now?

Truly shocking stuff in this report: 164 police statements altered to put blame on the fans, ambulancemen made to change statements, nearly half the victims could have been saved instead of dying even after the tragedy unfolded.

I agree with wilbearry, anyone still blaming drunk scousers needs to have a long, hard look at themselves. Wonder where Kelvin MacKenzie is hiding just now?

Indeed. I thought the worst thing to come out was that the youngest victim (10 years old) had their blood-alcohol level checked.

That's a lie that's dealt with in the Taylor Report. Duckenworth ordered the gate to be opened. The 'drunk and ticketless' line was fed to the press by the police.

You are the one who needs to face the truth. If you are old enough to have been part of football crowds in that era and earlier you would know that the fans have a significant portion of blame in this disaster. I have nothing but sympathy for the bereaved families. Their relatives, the victims, turned up on time and entered the stadium without incident. The problem arose with late-comers. There was film of the pushing and crushing outside the ground. In hindsight, a wonderful thing, the police could have handled this better but it wasn't the police who crushed the fans against the fencing.

You are the one who needs to face the truth. If you are old enough to have been part of football crowds in that era and earlier you would know that the fans have a significant portion of blame in this disaster. I have nothing but sympathy for the bereaved families. Their relatives, the victims, turned up on time and entered the stadium without incident. The problem arose with late-comers. There was film of the pushing and crushing outside the ground. In hindsight, a wonderful thing, the police could have handled this better but it wasn't the police who crushed the fans against the fencing.

I find it absolutely amazing that their are still ignorant, ill-educated and narrow minded people who STILL believe, after everything that has came out today, that Liverpool fans were the main protagonists.

There is no evidence that fans turning up late, ticketless and drunk had anything to do with the disaster, no doubt that they did but they are irrelevant points which serve only to cloud the issue. It was a lie that it was the catalyst for the disaster, fed to the press by a police force orchestrating a cover-up. The report is available to download online. I recommend you read it and stop spouting ill-informed nonsense.

I find it absolutely amazing that their are still ignorant, ill-educated and narrow minded people who STILL believe, after everything that has came out today, that Liverpool fans were the main protagonists.

There is no evidence that fans turned up late, ticketless and drunk. It was a lie, fed to the press by a police force orchestrating a cover-up. The report is available to download online. I recommend you read it and spouting ill-informed nonsense.

Who is saying that the fans were the main protagonists in all of this?

Fans did turn up late, that is a fact. There will be different reasons behind that.

Liverpool fans, along with a few other teams, travel in great numbers to games and do go when they have no tickets. Why would this match have been any different?

If you don't think football fans go to games with a bevvy in them, and that day would have been no different, I would think that you had never been to a game - but you have, so your being disingenuous with your remarks.